Windows 8.1 installation via USB

Brett22
Go to solution Solved by TechNugget,

I do have a key, for windows 8.1 pro... And please try to find a link where I can obtain the ISO file that WORKS if possible because I believe Microsoft took down the one website I looked at

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

You can chose it to create a bootable USB 

For my first build I will be using the Intel i5 4690k CPU and the NZXT h440 case. The way I need to install windows on this PC will be to use a flash drive. When reading about this method to install windows I came across this question: 32 bit or 64 bit version? So... Knowing that the computer I will be installing the operating system on has a 4690k in it... Do I use the 32 bit or 64 bit version of windows?

My information source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

My build:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YfJ9dC any other comments on my build are appreciated

For my first build I will be using the Intel i5 4690k CPU and the NZXT h440 case. The way I need to install windows on this PC will be to use a flash drive. When reading about this method to install windows I came across this question: 32 bit or 64 bit version? So... Knowing that the computer I will be installing the operating system on has a 4690k in it... Do I use the 32 bit or 64 bit version of windows?

My information source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

My build:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YfJ9dC any other comments on my build are appreciated

Anything with more than 3gb ram get 64-bit.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you should use 64-bit because I've never actually seen a PC use 32-bit before

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you should use 64-bit because I've never actually seen a PC use 32-bit before

You must be very young then or haven't used a cheap/old computer before.

I'm only 16, I may have seen one when I was younger but nothing I can specifically remember

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

I'm only 16, I may have seen one when I was younger but nothing I can specifically remember

Yeh, I've seen quite a few and I'm only 17 :)

Sam

Anything with more than 3gb ram get 64-bit.

. Yea... My PC will be starting off at 8 gigabytes of RAM so 64 bit?

. Yea... My PC will be starting off at 8 gigabytes of RAM so 64 bit?

Definitely

Thanks very much! Appreciate all of your help!

Uh-huh. 32bit is gonna be silly for you. :)

Sam

Definitely

Thanks I appreciate all of your help!

let me tell you almost all xp computers used 32-bit.

Due to my case, the NZXT h440 I need to install windows from a flash drive. When watching Linus's video on NCIX tech tips I learned that I need to get an ISO of windows 8.1. Since I have purchased windows 8.1 for another computer in the past, I have been able to find the CD key/product key. But I realized that when Linus showed the installation of the ISO in the video... It said "windows enterprise is only available for 90 days." He then said that if you have the product key, the installation works and automatically downloads the windows 8.1 ISO. So.....Any tips for me? If I enter my product key, is the program still only. 90 day trial? I am very confused please help!

Here's the website he downloaded the ISO from in the video: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx?ocid=wc-mscom-ent

On your current pc I THINK that you can enter the product key to download it and burn it as an iso to a flash drive, then when you install it you reenter the product key. (IF SOMEONE SAYS OTHERWISE BELIEVE THEM)

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Due to my case, the NZXT h440 I need to install windows from a flash drive. When watching Linus's video on NCIX tech tips I learned that I need to get an ISO of windows 8.1. Since I have purchased windows 8.1 for another computer in the past, I have been able to find the CD key/product key. But I realized that when Linus showed the installation of the ISO in the video... It said "windows enterprise is only available for 90 days." He then said that if you have the product key, the installation works and automatically downloads the windows 8.1 ISO. So.....Any tips for me? If I enter my product key, is the program still only. 90 day trial? I am very confused please help!

Here's the website he downloaded the ISO from in the video: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx?ocid=wc-mscom-ent

This ISO is an evaluation of Windows 8.1 Enterprise. To make a USB for Windows 8.1, Microsoft has released the Media Creation Tool, which is available at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

This uses compressed and encrypted ESD files. If you would rather use the conventional WIM file for installation, PM me.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

On your current pc I THINK that you can enter the product key to download it and burn it as an iso to a flash drive, then when you install it you reenter the product key. (IF SOMEONE SAYS OTHERWISE BELIEVE THEM)

It seemed to me that when Linus said you can enter the product key and get the ISO that you could install it... Like you said, so far since you are my only answer I will stick with it unless someone replies saying otherwise! Thanks

This ISO is an evaluation of Windows 8.1 Enterprise. To make a USB for Windows 8.1, Microsoft has released the Media Creation Tool, which is available at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

This uses compressed and encrypted ESD files. If you would rather use the conventional WIM file for installation, PM me.

I have tried this method of obtaining the ISO however when I pressed "create media" it directs me to a website that says error 404 file not found... Try pressing the create media button and tell me if it works for you

I have tried this method of obtaining the ISO however when I pressed "create media" it directs me to a website that says error 404 file not found... Try pressing the create media button and tell me if it works for you

It seems that Microsoft has taken it down, it's not working for me either. I will PM you a download link for an ISO.

So do you have key? If so for what version? You can use the windows media creation tool to get 8.1 home/pro

So do you have key? If so for what version? You can use the windows media creation tool to get 8.1 home/pro

I do have a key, for windows 8.1 pro... And please try to find a link where I can obtain the ISO file that WORKS if possible because I believe Microsoft took down the one website I looked at

It seems that Microsoft has taken it down, it's not working for me either. I will PM you a download link for an ISO.

Yes please try to find me one... Sorry I am new to these forums, what is a PM?

Yes please try to find me one... Sorry I am new to these forums, what is a PM?

Private Message.

On the Microsoft website there is something that you put your product code in and it will download an iso from that code

Hello