AMD vs NVIDIA

Go to solution Solved by SauronsV,

I dont see why you have all high end components except the PSU, the PSU is not a good piece of hardware to go cheap on.

OT: They perform almost identical in 1080p, the r9 390 has been known to do 1-2 fps better in some games and then lose by 1-2 fps, its basically the same power as the 970, both have around the same temperatures in load (970 lower temp in idle) and same amount of noise pretty much, I have heard. The R9 390 is around the same price in most places and has 8GB VRAM, where as the 970 has 4GB VRAM. This will be useful in the future HOWEVER, the R9 390 is not powerful enough to utilize all that VRAM in most future games. But it will still be very useful in 1-2 years when games use between 4-6GB of VRAM.

The only thing that should have an impact in you deciding to pick the 970 or the 390 are these things IMO

-Drivers

-VRAM

-Coil whine

-power usage

People say AMD drivers are bad, but they are only partly right. Frankly both AMD and NVIDIA drivers are rubbish. So far the AMD drivers have done well for the R9 390, although some people have complained about having a hard time installing the GPU (I think its due to them not uninstalling previous drivers correctly). AMD drivers dont get updates as often, but dont need them as often as NVIDIA. NVIDIA drivers get updates quicker and they solve problems quicker than AMD does. Overall I would say NVIDIA drivers are better but not by as much people say. TBH they are both pretty poor

VRAM will be useful in a year or so but as I said the R9 390 is just not powerful enough to use more than 6GB VRAM or so in games in like 2-3 years I THINK, I could be completely wrong. But none the less the VRAM will be useful eventually.

Coil whine has been a known issue for the 900 series, especially the 970, I have had one and it has had annoying coil whine. Some make high pitch sounds and some make buzzing sounds, both being super annoying. But you probably wont realize when you play games anyway. As for the R9 390, I have not heard a single person complaining about (audible) coil whine yet, which is a good sign.

The 390 consumes more watts, but apparently people with 600+ watts will have no problems running a R9 390. Make sure ur PSU can handle it.

There is no point comparing performance, dont listen to most people who say 'THIS GPU HAS 20% MORE PERFORMANCE BLABLABLA', that is rubbish. They are basically the same.

I am neither a AMD or NVIDIA fanboy, I just pick whats best and so far I would say the R9 390 is better than the 970, and most people on the internet seem to agree with this.

(you cant go wrong with either they are both fantastic)

Hey, I just ordered my r9 390 instead of the GTX 970, thanks to the recommendations here on LTTF.

However, I've looked in to a couple of AMD cards and it seems af if they perform poorly on lower resolutions. (r9 Fury X vs GTX 980ti)

And I was wondering, since I play on 1080p, should I send back my r9 390 for the GTX 970?

Current build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/blankoos/saved/

I need more suggestions!

Please give me your thoughts on the cards! ^^

What's the rest of your specs?

Because he had a hard drive.

Hey, I just ordered my r9 390 instead of the GTX 970, thanks to the recommendations here on LTTF.

However, I've looked in to a couple of AMD cards and it seems af if they perform poorly on lower resolutions. (r9 Fury X vs GTX 980ti)

And I was wondering, since I play on 1080p, should I send back my r9 390 for the GTX 970?

Current build:

The 390 will be fine. Don't worry about sending anything back. The 390 is like a GTX 970 with more VRAM and it takes some more power. It will perform fine at 1080p, and better than the 970 at higher resolutions if you ever get a new higher resolution monitor eventually

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Current build:

For 1080p, the 970 is more than enough. 

Less heat

Less power usage

Better Drivers support (gonna get flamed, I have an AMD card, drivers are meh) 

EDIT: Keep your R9 390. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

The 390 will be fine. Don't worry about sending anything back. The 390 is like a GTX 970 with more VRAM and it takes some more power. It will perform fine at 1080p, and better than the 970 at higher resolutions if you ever get a new higher resolution monitor eventually

But as said, I've seen AMD cards under-perform at low resolutions.

I will not be getting anything higher than 1440p for years.

I think I'll even stick to 1080p for 2+ more years.

I don't care how the cards performs at all at 2k/4k. 

I dont see why you have all high end components except the PSU, the PSU is not a good piece of hardware to go cheap on.

OT: They perform almost identical in 1080p, the r9 390 has been known to do 1-2 fps better in some games and then lose by 1-2 fps, its basically the same power as the 970, both have around the same temperatures in load (970 lower temp in idle) and same amount of noise pretty much, I have heard. The R9 390 is around the same price in most places and has 8GB VRAM, where as the 970 has 4GB VRAM. This will be useful in the future HOWEVER, the R9 390 is not powerful enough to utilize all that VRAM in most future games. But it will still be very useful in 1-2 years when games use between 4-6GB of VRAM.

The only thing that should have an impact in you deciding to pick the 970 or the 390 are these things IMO

-Drivers

-VRAM

-Coil whine

-power usage

People say AMD drivers are bad, but they are only partly right. Frankly both AMD and NVIDIA drivers are rubbish. So far the AMD drivers have done well for the R9 390, although some people have complained about having a hard time installing the GPU (I think its due to them not uninstalling previous drivers correctly). AMD drivers dont get updates as often, but dont need them as often as NVIDIA. NVIDIA drivers get updates quicker and they solve problems quicker than AMD does. Overall I would say NVIDIA drivers are better but not by as much people say. TBH they are both pretty poor

VRAM will be useful in a year or so but as I said the R9 390 is just not powerful enough to use more than 6GB VRAM or so in games in like 2-3 years I THINK, I could be completely wrong. But none the less the VRAM will be useful eventually.

Coil whine has been a known issue for the 900 series, especially the 970, I have had one and it has had annoying coil whine. Some make high pitch sounds and some make buzzing sounds, both being super annoying. But you probably wont realize when you play games anyway. As for the R9 390, I have not heard a single person complaining about (audible) coil whine yet, which is a good sign.

The 390 consumes more watts, but apparently people with 600+ watts will have no problems running a R9 390. Make sure ur PSU can handle it.

There is no point comparing performance, dont listen to most people who say 'THIS GPU HAS 20% MORE PERFORMANCE BLABLABLA', that is rubbish. They are basically the same.

I am neither a AMD or NVIDIA fanboy, I just pick whats best and so far I would say the R9 390 is better than the 970, and most people on the internet seem to agree with this.

-Drivers

-VRAM

-Coil whine

-power usage

Thank you!

Which PSU would you recommend for my build?

I have low income so don't be too hard on the price. ^^

I thought the CX600 was alright, guess I'm wrong. 

Thank you!

Which PSU would you recommend for my build?

I have low income so don't be too hard on the price. ^^

I thought the CX600 was alright, guess I'm wrong.

I would go for the evga g2 supernova. I would also try to get over 600 watts if possible. The g2 has insanely good reviews and I regret not getting it. No noise fan mode, not a lot of complaints of coil whine (coil whine is a luck thing some psu and gpu have some don't) I had the cx600 and it was loud and had coil whine, I think I was unlucky though.

The psu u have is good enough for the setup but I would not overclock if u decide to keep it.

I would go for the evga g2 supernova. I would also try to get over 600 watts if possible. The g2 has insanely good reviews and I regret not getting it. No noise fan mode, not a lot of complaints of coil whine (coil whine is a luck thing some psu and gpu have some don't) I had the cx600 and it was loud and had coil whine, I think I was unlucky though.

The psu u have is good enough for the setup but I would not overclock if u decide to keep it.

Not going to overclock anything at all really.

Maybe a couple of MHz on the GPU but that's it.

I'm not able to buy the 600/650w one here in Sweden anyways, such a shame.

I think I'll see how the coil whine and audio level is and decide afterwards.

Not going to overclock anything at all really.

Maybe a couple of MHz on the GPU but that's it.

I'm not able to buy the 600/650w one here in Sweden anyways, such a shame.

I think I'll see how the coil whine and audio level is and decide afterwards.

Good choice, I hear mixed things about the cx600 corsair psu, some people have had an awesome experience and some not, just as some loud and not. Enjoy your build :D

Good choice, I hear mixed things about the cx600 corsair psu, some people have had an awesome experience and some not, just as some loud and not. Enjoy your build 

Will do!

:)

-Drivers

-VRAM

-Coil whine

-power usage

Quote of the year, I was banned in guru3d forums when I brought that up.