AMD's Board Partners can't get enough R9 Fury GPU's

Raudi_

We all know about how the Fury X was launched and it had its issues well another issue has emerged and this time its the yield of the Fiji GPU's being low. Due to it being one of the most complex GPU cores made.

Quote:
 "Moreover, while AMD’s decision to use innovative high-bandwidth memory allowed the company to make its new graphics cards significantly shorter, its choice to use liquid cooling did not really pay off and resulted in a rather noisy cooler. However, all the challenges that AMD faces today may be considered as insignificant as the chip designer simply cannot deliver enough Radeon R9 Fury-series graphics cards to all of its partners."

"
According to the report, yields of AMD’s code-named “Fiji” graphics processing unit are rather low. Insufficient yields are not something surprising: with 8.9 billion transistors inside, the “Fiji” is the most complex chip ever produced. While the IC [integrated circuit] is not as large as Nvidia Corp.’s GM200, it is considerably harder to produce because of higher transistor density."

Short summery, is that AMD is having issues keeping up with the supply and demand for Fiji GPU's due to the low yield. While I don't find this personally surprising, I do find it unfortunate. As it seemed like Fury was a sweet spot for a GPU between 980 and 980ti range for a fair price. 

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amds-partners-cannot-get-enough-radeon-r9-fury-graphics-cards-report/

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

The entire process of how they handle those kinds of cards will probably be significantly different than with the other cards. Seems like something that will get better as HBM gets more mainstream.

The entire process of how they handle those kinds of cards will probably be significantly different than with the other cards. Seems like something that will get better as HBM gets more mainstream.

I sure hope so, I really like were the R9 Fury is sitting for its price, I think with time the yields should get better and more consistent.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I sure hope so, I really like were the R9 Fury is sitting for its price, I think with time the yields should get better and more consistent.

Thinking back on the point you made in the price. I'm surprised it isn't higher with the low yields. Would be amazing if prices drop, once yields improved as well.

Is there any info on the supply/demand numbers?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Thinking back on the point you made in the price. I'm surprised it isn't higher with the low yields. Would be amazing if prices drop, once yields improved as well.

Same I was expecting price inflation to happen due to it. But they seemed to keep on chugging along till something drastic happens like with the Bitcoin GPU mining crazy and the R9 200 series GPU's

|King Of The Lost|

Not that was in the Kitguru article I can look around and see if I can get some rough estimate on it.

|King Of The Lost|

There were a bunch of articles a few weeks back about the possibility of supply interruptions because of low HBM yields. A lot of those articles said AMD would only be able to deliver ~30,000 GPUs this year.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Can you buy an R9 Fury yet anywhere?

Yes. In the US.

It's not available here yet.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Sadly this was to be expected: In typical GPU launch faction, all the fancy reviews and stats are mostly theoretical for the first 4 or 5 months after launch. Consumers can be such fucking idiots some time and eat up all this "Oh we didn't expect the low yields....just as we didn't expect the low yields for the past motherfucking 2 decades we've been releasing new GPUs with the exact same motherfucking thing happening....sorry! Keep hyping our non-existent products though!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Sadly this was to be expected: In typical GPU launch faction, all the fancy reviews and stats are mostly theoretical for the first 4 or 5 months after launch. Consumers can be such fucking idiots some time and eat up all this "Oh we didn't expect the low yields....just as we didn't expect the low yields for the past motherfucking 2 decades we've been releasing new GPUs with the exact same motherfucking thing happening....sorry! Keep hyping our non-existent products though!"

A typical AMD gpu launch. Nvidia waits until they can get decent yields.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

A typical AMD gpu launch. 

typical? when was the last time they had low yields thanks to using a cutting edge technology?

Nvidia waits until they can get decent yields.

So that is the reason why the GTZ 970 was sold out for more than a month here?

Well, in the uk the fury x is out of stock, and has only sold about 100 on amazon

How do you know how many have been sold on Amazon? Please don't say reviews...

How do you know how many have been sold on Amazon? Please don't say reviews...

Because when it first came out on amazon, they only had 100 in stock across the manufacturers, its a guess, but there all out of stock

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Because when it first came out on amazon, they only had 100 in stock across the manufacturers, its a guess, but there all out of stock

How did you know how many they had in stock? I'm genuinely curious.

A typical AMD gpu launch. Nvidia waits until they can get decent yields.

While it wasn't that bad, 980ti has issues with low supply as well. Took me a few weeks to get a hold of one because of that. And like HippY said, 970 had supply issues in the past as well. Not saying you're statement is completely wrong, just saying that nvidia isn't free of this sin either.

Either way, AMD probably couldn't delay their launch any longer because they had no competitive products to counter nvidia's high-end cards until these launched.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Perhaps they should have delayed release for a month or so to stock up for a grand release.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

So a large amount of potential Nano chips are in the bag already?

While it wasn't that bad, 980ti has issues with low supply as well. Took me a few weeks to get a hold of one because of that. And like HippY said, 970 had supply issues in the past as well. Not saying you're statement is completely wrong, just saying that nvidia isn't free of this sin either.

Either way, AMD probably couldn't delay their launch any longer because they had no competitive products to counter nvidia's high-end cards until these launched.

Yeah, but they were gone after a week. This will be almost a month. 

It seemed like half of PC Master Race was trying to buy the 970 at launch though, it was $70 cheaper than an R9 290 for more performance, and tons of people got them those first couple of weeks.