College Freshman Orientation

Stigs

So I'll be going to my college freshman orientation on Wednesday. I find it funny that it still hasn't really hit me that I'm going to college...and I graduated from high school almost a month ago.  I know that I want to go to college (and get my degree in Computer Engineering) and be done with the B.S. of high school, but at the same time, I'm perfectly content with being at home.  I know once I'm there a few weeks that I'll be fine, but it's gonna be a huge adjust for me when I move in next month.  Does anyone have any tips for getting acclimated to college life?

Make sure you do all of your homework.

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Make sure you do all of your homework.

Thanks...but that's a given :P

It's absolutely not a big deal, even if you move to the actual campus.

What bothers you is the natural excitement of something upcoming - the new, unknown thing in your life.

Felt that for about one week @ University, after which I did not even care.

Actually listen in class?

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

So I'll be going to my college freshman orientation on Wednesday. I find it funny that it still hasn't really hit me that I'm going to college...and I graduated from high school almost a month ago.  I know that I want to go to college (and get my degree in Computer Engineering) and be done with the B.S. of high school, but at the same time, I'm perfectly content with being at home.  I know once I'm there a few weeks that I'll be fine, but it's gonna be a huge adjust for me when I move in next month.  Does anyone have any tips for getting acclimated to college life?

Don't fuck off and drop out do your work and find like minded people to spend time with. Also get on a routine and also remember to exercise.

It's absolutely not a big deal, even if you move to the actual campus.

What bothers you is the natural excitement of something upcoming - the new, unknown thing in your life.

Felt that for about one week @ University, after which I did not even care.

I'm not a fan of change, but I think you're right. Thanks!

Don't fuck off and drop out do your work and find like minded people to spend time with. Also get on a routine and also remember to exercise.

What is this exercise of which you speak of?

Running.

While the hitting the gym is nice too, nothing beats running.

Go to class :P

You would be surprised how many people dont do that.

Have fun. College was a hoot. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Pat attention in class. EZ

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

Entering my 3rd year as an Environmental Biology major. This is all shit I see way too much or have had happen.

• Don't skip classes
  • Do not fall behind and if you do catch up ASAP
  • Take really good notes with pencil and paper, it's too easy to get distracted with a laptop
  • Don't get caught up in the party scene/Frats
  • Have respect for yourself and your school and don't dress like your lazy ass hasn't changed clothes since the prior day 
  • Do all your reading assignments
  • Exercise regularly
  • DO NOT GO CRAZY WITH THE NEW FOUND FREEDOM such as suddenly taking on smoking, getting a tattoo, etc.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Entering my 3rd year as an Environmental Biology major. This is all shit I see way too much or have had happen.

• Don't skip classes
  • Do not fall behind and if you do catch up ASAP
  • Take really good notes with pencil and paper, it's too easy to get distracted with a laptop
  • Don't get caught up in the party scene/Frats
  • Have respect for yourself and your school and don't dress like your lazy ass hasn't changed clothes since the prior day 
  • Do all your reading assignments
  • Exercise regularly
  • DO NOT GO CRAZY WITH THE NEW FOUND FREEDOM such as suddenly taking on smoking, getting a tattoo, etc.

Ok.  This isn't too much getting acclimated, but super helpful.  Thanks!  To put myself into perspective:

• I've never skipped classes in high school, so I don't see why I would in college.
  • I'll try my best not to fall behind.  
  • Paper and pencil notes are what I take for most classes, but I prefer a laptop for others (but I understand the distraction part)
  • I'm not a very big party guy
  • Dress part will be interesting :P I should be okay though
  • reading assignments are important...learned that in high school
  • I don't exercise that much now....damn...this is gonna be the hardest thing I guess
  • I don't think I'll go crazy with freedom.  I'm an asthmatic, so smoking never interested at all, I'm not a fan of tattoos, and alcohol doesn't really interest me either...yeah. I'm kinda boring.

I know it might not be on your top things to do but if don't get into the habit of gong on a jog or riding a bike you will pack on the pounds ie the freshman 20 

also with the lack of working out will cause you to be more tired, more likely to get sick, and could cause your work ethic to crash.

I have had friends who would sleep in till 1pm go to class come home eat and go back to sleep 

I know it might not be on your top things to do but if don't get into the habit of gong on a jog or riding a bike you will pack on the pounds ie the freshman 20 

also with the lack of working out will cause you to be more tired, more likely to get sick, and could cause your work ethic to crash.

I have had friends who would sleep in till 1pm go to class come home eat and go back to sleep 

makes sense. I wrote that post as a joke, but I totally get what you're saying.

Ok.  This isn't too much getting acclimated, but super helpful.  Thanks!  To put myself into perspective:

• I've never skipped classes in high school, so I don't see why I would in college.
  • I'll try my best not to fall behind.  
  • Paper and pencil notes are what I take for most classes, but I prefer a laptop for others (but I understand the distraction part)
  • I'm not a very big party guy
  • Dress part will be interesting :P I should be okay though
  • reading assignments are important...learned that in high school
  • I don't exercise that much now....damn...this is gonna be the hardest thing I guess
  • I don't think I'll go crazy with freedom.  I'm an asthmatic, so smoking never interested at all, I'm not a fan of tattoos, and alcohol doesn't really interest me either...yeah. I'm kinda boring.

Good to here. Don't have really much to say about the acclimation part as very quickly it just becomes normal. Like legit in a week everything will be more or less same shit different day. 

Also forgot to mention to learn to cook your own food. Best advice people I knew could ever give when it came to living in dorms or student apartments.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build