Ok I give up... PC build help!?

irelandtj

I'll preface this by saying my old build was working perfectly as of last night.

This morning, now I've received my new parts, I'm upgrading.

I've changed the Mobo (MSI X99 SLI PLUS), RAM (16GB DDR4), CPU (5820k) and cooler (H80i GT).

The problem I'm having is that everything boots up, fans, lights etc, but I'm getting no USB power (keyboard doesn't switch on) and no display signal.

Display is currently running via HDMI from my GTX 970. Usually in this situation, with no display, I would run the HDMI to the motherboard. This doesn't work anymore as apparently HDMI on motherboards is overrated and isn't a thing any more?!?

I've tried everything I can think of, please everyone, lets fix this?!

the extreme series never have onboard video

can you try a diffrent gpu?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Don't have another GPU, it's powering on, lights, fans etc. and was working yesterday.

Still wouldn't explain the USB issue?

Truth be told, my younger brother's PC did this the day his motherboard died. We still haven't replaced it, but luckily he's on a backup rig. 

Have you tried reseating your CPU, RAM, and GPU? Have you reseated your cables?

I don't think it has on board video on it

I'll preface this by saying my old build was working perfectly as of last night.

I've changed the Mobo (MSI X99 SLI PLUS), RAM (16GB DDR4), CPU (5820k) and cooler (H80i GT).

The problem I'm having is that everything boots up, fans, lights etc, but I'm getting no USB power (keyboard doesn't switch on) and no display signal.

Display is currently running via HDMI from my GTX 970. Usually in this situation, with no display, I would run the HDMI to the motherboard. This doesn't work anymore as apparently HDMI on motherboards is overrated and isn't a thing any more?!?

Do you have windows installed?

If so your system might be outputting to a different IO, just wait for it to boot, and hold down the windows key and pres the P letter twice, until you get the output display right.

And another point you should not be running your GPU off HDMI, either use DP or DVI

Do you have windows installed?

If so your system might be outputting to a different IO, just wait for it to boot, and hold down the windows key and pres the P letter twice, until you get the output display right.

Windows is installed, yes.

That would be fine if I  had power to my keyboard?

my guess is the mb is locked up try removing the power and the battery and fully remove power to the board . After a minute or 2 plug power back in and cross fingers

And another point you should not be running your GPU off HDMI, either use DP or DVI

Once it's up and running it will be back on DVI.

Thanks for the advice... 

why would HDMI be bad? just curious.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Once it's up and running it will be back on DVI.

Thanks for the advice... 

Its not a question of HDMI, its just that sometimes it has more input lag than DVI or DP, and DVI and DP support much higher video specs then HDMI.

As for the keyboard not working, are you sure the keyboard works? try a different USB port?

It probably wont work if you are using USB 3.0 or 3.1 since those drivers boot later on.

For a more elaborate response take a look at this,

Just FYI, I've had it happen that a keyboard only works on certain USB ports on a

motherboard, not on all of them. So if you haven't already tried it, moving the

keyboard around on different ports might be worth a shot.

And since LGA2011 CPUs don't have integrated graphics, having an HDMI port on the

motherboard wouldn't be very useful. ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Nothing seems to be working so I'm going to start from scratch.

I must have fucked something up along the way. Wish me luck.

When I had this exact same issue the CPU was dead..

Try starting the computer without any RAM installed, if there's a speaker on the motherboard and you get a beep-code you know its not the Mobo or CPU.

If you get a beep-code, I would go through all the RAM sticks to see if its one of them.

Also try reseting the CMOS.

The PSU can also be broken, it might give enough power to spin fans etc, but not to actually start any components or give power to USB devices.

You just have to go through everything and try.

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

Keyboard Arachnid Recore - Cherry MX Red Mouse Corsair M45  !!--GTA V--!!  

So it turns out I fucked up, at least I think it was the issue.

There's 8 RAM slots, I used 2 incorrect slots, would this have caused my problems? Or was it something else?

There's 8 RAM slots, I used 2 incorrect slots, would this have caused my problems? Or was it something else?

Im not sure.. but shouldnt that just cause your RAM not to use Dual/Quad Channel?

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

Keyboard Arachnid Recore - Cherry MX Red Mouse Corsair M45  !!--GTA V--!!  

Wrong ram orientation can stop the system from POSTing altogether,

with that being said, do you get any q codes?