Can't decide which to update, GPU or CPU?

soja

I have a budget of a little over $700 for an upgrade I have been wanting to do for a while. I am a heavy multitasker, and often use streaming video while playing games among other things. This pegs my 3570k(4.5Ghz OC) at 100% constantly, and forces me to close background programs even in games like league.

At the same time however, my new Korean(QNIX, great screen for the price btw) monitor that runs at 2560x1440 100Hz makes my GTX 670 SLI struggle quite a bit trying to maintain a smooth 100+fps in most titles. 

I have 2 upgrade options:

Option 1

New CPU(5820k, 6-core w/HT, will overclock)

New Motherboard

New 16GB DDR4 Memory

Total cost: $725(give or take, priced it out on newegg, would buy using pcpartpicker)

This would only really be a CPU upgrade, I already have 16GB DDR3 and motherboards don't effect performance much.

Option 2

New GTX 980ti

Total cost: $690

I would like opinions on which I should get, and if there are any better options I would like to hear those as well!

Thanks for reading!

Sounds like the CPU option might be better for you right now if your current one is always maxxed out.

Getting both would fix your problems, but if you have to choose one or the other, the CPU/mobo/ram option will help you the most if you dont mind on delaying your GPU performance.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

why not a balance? high end but not top end gpu and a high end but not top end cpu?

5NmKCSE.jpg

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3570K is still pretty good CPU, you shouldn't have issues like that with it.

By pure value alone, I would go with option 1, particularly if you are maxing it out all the time.

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

If you stream during gaming, the cpu upgrade is what i would take.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

why not a balance? high end but not top end gpu and a high end but not top end cpu?

I already have a quad core at 4.5Ghz, how much more of a balance could I get? The only upgrade worth spending money on would be a core count boost, and Intel locks that to the 2011 socket, and the prices I listed are for the cheapest CPU on the platform that is still an upgrade for me. GTX 670 SLI still performs OK for most games, but chokes on new AAA titles, a 290x or 970 would be a slight boost for a lot of money.

Sounds like the CPU option might be better for you right now if your current one is always maxxed out.

Getting both would fix your problems, but if you have to choose one or the other, the CPU/mobo/ram option will help you the most if you dont mind on delaying your GPU performance.

Yeah it would be nice to be able to multitask a bit more, and just run games at slightly lower settings, thanks for your input!

3570K is still pretty good CPU, you shouldn't have issues like that with it.

I have 3 screens and usually run server monitoring tools, and watch media on twitch(bloated flash player) or netflix while playing most games.

By pure value alone, I would go with option 1, particularly if you are maxing it out all the time.

Thanks for the input :)

If you stream during gaming, the cpu upgrade is what i would take.

I don't stream but I watch twitch often, its annoying to use Live Streamer Plus to pipe the streams into VLC, so resorting to the piggy twitch flash player hogs over 20% CPU. I actually hadn't considered that using a 6-core would allow me to record videos with OBS easier, thanks!

I already have a quad core at 4.5Ghz, how much more of a balance could I get? The only upgrade worth spending money on would be a core count boost, and Intel locks that to the 2011 socket, and the prices I listed are for the cheapest CPU on the platform that is still an upgrade for me. GTX 670 SLI still performs OK for most games, but chokes on new AAA titles, a 290x or 970 would be a slight boost for a lot of money

what if you sold the current stuff?

also core count doesnt boost gaming performance.

I think you have some malware since the 3570 is still a great cpu

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

what if you sold the current stuff?

also core count doesnt boost gaming performance.

I think you have some malware since the 3570 is still a great cpu

The only thing I would sell is the GPU's, but they only go for about $100-120 each now. If I went with the CPU upgrade I would give the old parts to my little brother that is still rocking my old Phenom II x4 945. 

Core count would certainly boost gaming performance if I lack the CPU power to do all of my tasks. I am aware games generally don't benefit from multi-core, but when your CPU is pegged at 100%, more CPU power would improve performance. 

I am sitting at my desktop at 40% CPU usage, like I said before I am a heavy multitasker. I kee 10+ chrome tabs open at all times, remote desktop sessions, watching HD movies/tv shows, game launchers(League, Steam), Teamspeak, Thunderbird(email), and others. 

20150711073904.png

20150711073920.png

The only thing I would sell is the GPU's, but they only go for about $100-120 each now. If I went with the CPU upgrade I would give the old parts to my little brother that is still rocking my old Phenom II x4 945. 

Core count would certainly boost gaming performance if I lack the CPU power to do all of my tasks. I am aware games generally don't benefit from multi-core, but when your CPU is pegged at 100%, more CPU power would improve performance. 

I am sitting at my desktop at 40% CPU usage, like I said before I am a heavy multitasker. I kee 10+ chrome tabs open at all times, remote desktop sessions, watching HD movies/tv shows, game launchers(League, Steam), Teamspeak, Thunderbird(email), and others. 

honestly its up to you. You can get used 290x's for $150 so if you do sell the gpus you can do that. and if you think you will benefit that much from a new cpu go ahead.

honestly its up to you. You can get used 290x's for $150 so if you do sell the gpus you can do that. and if you think you will benefit that much from a new cpu go ahead.

Thanks for the idea!

~

have you ever thought about getting a xeon cpu?

Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3

Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3

?

they fit lg 1150 boards

For what purpose? The socket 1150 Xeons are limited to 4 cores, which I already have, and they can't OC, which I have already done.

~

For what purpose? The socket 1150 Xeons are limited to 4 cores, which I already have, and they can't OC, which I have already done.

4 cores, but 8 threads as opposed 4 threads. would save you some money from getting an i7

BigDay

the Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 performs similar to the i7-4790k and is much cheaper. i know you were thinking of a 5820k, but you could use the extra dough to get a better gpu as well

the extra threads on the Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 would be nice for workstation use

BigDay

How about a 3770k. It gets you 4 more thread and you'll be able to upgrade the gpu in the near future.

PC CPU i7 4770 non K Motherboard Asrock Z97 Extreme 9 RAM 32gb Corsair LP GPU 2x r9 290 Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo Storage 4x2TB WD Black in Raid 0, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB PSU Super Flower Golden Green 1000W Display(s) 3x Asus 24" Full HD Cooling Custom Watercooled, Radiators: 1x 420, 1x 360, 2x 240, 1x120 Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 Notebook Asus UX360UAK (i7 7500U, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 3200x1800 touch, 2 in 1)