Can a weak PSU cause TDR's?

Cookybiscuit

I was told a while ago that if your PSU isn't good enough for the system you have it would be pretty obvious, as in, the system would just shut off when you try and run games. I've been trying to use a 520W PSU and a 980Ti and haven't really been having much luck. I've been getting graphical artifacts in a few games and crashing with the 'Nvidia display driver stopped working...' notification pretty often. At the worst times I couldn't go 5 minutes without crashing, other times I can play games for an hour or two before it crashes. I put the card in a system with a 650W PSU and played games on it for like 9 hours and not one TDR. Also have not had any crashes at all using a 760, R9290 or a 780, which are all obviously lower power draw cards. 

I've tried all the drivers including the hotfix ones, and even tried reinstalling Windows and the games I was playing but nothing works. Do I just bite the bullet and buy a new PSU, or is there a chance its something else? The system is:

980Ti MSI Gaming

OC'd 3570K

16GB Corsair RAM

Asrock Extreme 4 Z77

Seasonic Fanless 520W

Thanks.

I was told a while ago that if your PSU isn't good enough for the system you have it would be pretty obvious, as in, the system would just shut off when you try and run games. I've been trying to use a 520W PSU and a 980Ti and haven't really been having much luck. I've been getting graphical artifacts in a few games and crashing with the 'Nvidia display driver stopped working...' notification pretty often. At the worst times I couldn't go 5 minutes without crashing, other times I can play games for an hour or two before it crashes. I put the card in a system with a 650W PSU and played games on it for like 9 hours and not one TDR. Also have not had any crashes at all using a 760, R9290 or a 780, which are all obviously lower power draw cards. 

I've tried all the drivers including the hotfix ones, and even tried reinstalling Windows and the games I was playing but nothing works. Do I just bite the bullet and buy a new PSU, or is there a chance its something else? The system is:

980Ti MSI Gaming

OC'd 3570K

16GB Corsair RAM

Asrock Extreme 4 Z77

Seasonic Fanless 520W

Thanks.

You have plenty of wattage. Try undervolting the GPU and run it at lower clock speeds so it produces less heat. Something tells me that a fanless PSU was not a good idea in your system.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

R9 290 draws as much power as a 980Ti easily, so that's a little odd. Are you OCing the 980Ti?

Regardless, I would strongly recommend upgrading the PSU. At least a 650w 80+ gold for that setup, IMO.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I've got a wall meter that says how much power the system is using, it tops out at around 450w with the 980Ti and about 400w with the R9290, but I can't remember if the 980Ti was overclocked at the time. Yes I had the 980Ti overclocked, but it still crashes at stock clocks.

I had got super frustrtated a week ago and done what you said STRM and underclocked the card to like 500Mhz and with the clocks at that I still didn't manage to have the card run long enough to get through the opening cinematic in GTA Online. But saying that I didn't know at the time you could check the event viewer in windows to see if it was the game that crashed or the driver that crashed, so it could have just been the game messing up.

I suppose I'll put the card back in and just see what happens, but it sort of feels like I'm banging my head against a wall. On heat, the case is a NZXT Phantom 410, all the fan slots are occupied and are set in Speedfan to spin up pretty high, but I dunno I suppose since I'm pretty close to what the PSU can put out and its in a hot case it might be overheating.

My Guess. Your PSU is too weak. Get at least 650w gold+

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Nvidia has had a known issue with a TDR bug in their drivers for quite some time.  If this hotfix doesn't fix it https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3694/  then I have heard that downgrading to 350.12 (uninstall completely, the install 350.12)

Here is a thread if you haven't found it already with some other things to try.  Down near the bottom of the first post you will find notes of a bunch of causes and some links to fixes https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/389688/geforce-drivers/nvidia-statement-on-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

Fractal Design Define R5 | i7-4790k | Corsair H80 | Asus Z97-Pro WiFi | 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SSC+ | 16GB G.Skill Sniper@1866MHz | Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB | 1TB + 750GB drives | EVGA 750W G2 | 27" BenQ IPS 1440p@60Hz | Windows 10

Nvidia has had a known issue with a TDR bug in their drivers for quite some time.  If this hotfix doesn't fix it https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3694/  then I have heard that downgrading to 350.12 (uninstall completely, the install 350.12)

Here is a thread if you haven't found it already with some other things to try.  Down near the bottom of the first post you will find notes of a bunch of causes and some links to fixes https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/389688/geforce-drivers/nvidia-statement-on-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

350.12 supports 980Ti?

And yeah, I've crashed twice in an hour and a half on GTA 5 Online, but with the other PSU it went all day without crashing. Though, it is worth saying, its a totally different system, so maybe theres something else at play. 

350.12 supports 980Ti?

And yeah, I've crashed twice in an hour and a half on GTA 5 Online, but with the other PSU it went all day without crashing. Though, it is worth saying, its a totally different system, so maybe theres something else at play. 

Oh, I didn't think about that.  350.12 probably does not support the 980 ti.  It could be the PSU, the thread I linked though said it could be RAM timings or a driver conflict as well.

Fractal Design Define R5 | i7-4790k | Corsair H80 | Asus Z97-Pro WiFi | 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SSC+ | 16GB G.Skill Sniper@1866MHz | Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB | 1TB + 750GB drives | EVGA 750W G2 | 27" BenQ IPS 1440p@60Hz | Windows 10

I would say the PSU could be the culprit.   I once had a corsair 750 watt PSU and had upgraded to a GTX 580 .  While running the system shut down while playing Skyrim.  I upgraded the PSU to a HX1050 and never have had a problem since.   Never go cheap on PSU I've experienced and others have said the same.   I imagine a 980 Ti pulls just as much power as a 780 .   Don't forget that there are power spikes generated by GPU's , especially during gaming.   GTA 5 pulls a lot of GPU resources.  Precision shows me that GTA 5 is asking for 3.8 GB of VRAM even on a 1080p display using GeForce Experience recommended settings. 

As far as TDR's on latest drivers, I have yet to have one. 

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

Well I tried even downclocking the card as far as it would let me and capping the power limit to 54% and it still crashed, so I'm really not sure if its the PSU if its crashing at 900Mhz on the core. I suppose the last step is to just pull the PSU out of the system it works in and see if it works in my system. 

What could be the problem with RAM timings? I was recently running generic no name RAM but moved to 1600Mhz 16GB Corsair memory, should I try downclocking the RAM or something?