NO SIGNAL?! New GTX 980Ti G1 Not working

paps511
Go to solution Solved by paps511,

Well i don't know what the issue was, but everything seems to be working fine now.

I guess I should have know the most common solutions are common for a reason.

1. turn it of and on again

2. unplug and plug it is again.

Thanks to everyone who posed solutions. Hopefully I can benchmark it soon and get some 1440p fps counters up!

Hey All,

I just got a 980 Ti G1 Gaming card and plugged it in, turned on my computer, and NO SIGNAL!

What am I doing wrong?

It is plugged into the same express slot as my old 970 and it lights up (Windforce logo). The fans also spin up and the computer is on, but there is no signal going to my monitor. I am using a display port cord to my LG 34UM94. The monitor turns on, then says "No Signal" and goes into power saving mode.

I have a 600W power supply and plugged in the two 6+2 power connectors to the card. My other system specs are in my signature

What should I be checking to get this to work? Should I put the 970 back in? Do you think its a DOA?

What details am I missing for you guys to help diagnose?

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

try the 970 again and then tell me what happens.

hold on, did you remove the 970 drivers? if you didnt that may be the reason.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

I had this recently. Changed the motherboard and pulled the graphics card out, nothing. Only after switching my CPU to an old one did I get my signal back.

Have you considered all possibilities? Have you got some things you can switch around to check that it's definitely the card? If you're sure, then yeah, I'm going with drivers too.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

put back the 970, remove the drivers, install the 980 Ti, re install drivers, check if this works 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

try resetting bios or plugging a secondary monitor into the onboard gfx. some motherboards dont recognize a new GPU right away and default to onboard.

How do I reset the bios?

I'm going to get another monitor in a minute to see if onboard gfx works

try the 970 again and then tell me what happens.

hold on, did you remove the 970 drivers? if you didnt that may be the reason.

I did not remove the 970 drivers. It is just the standard NVIDIA drivers though, I thought they supported all NVIDIA cards?

I will try the 970 again

I had this recently. Changed the motherboard and pulled the graphics card out, nothing. Only after switching my CPU to an old one did I get my signal back.

Have you considered all possibilities? Have you got some things you can switch around to check that it's definitely the card? If you're sure, then yeah, I'm going with drivers too.

I do not have another MoBo or CPU. I'll try to do the driver thing

If you've got another monitor to test it with, that'd be a good idea.

Will be checking that in a minute

put back the 970, remove the drivers, install the 980 Ti, re install drivers, check if this works 

Will be trying that in a minute

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

My grandmother's PC did this before.

your grandma has a 980?

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

lol... is that nVidia specific?

Because as far as I am concerned the guy can't even POST and the BIOS doesn't save any state between system reboots and it doesn't know anything about drivers.

When I changed from 6870 to 290 it booted perfectly and Catalyst recognized that there is a new GPU so it auto-magically initialized driver re-configuration, rebooted the system for me and I was back up running without any manual labour or hickups...

Anyway seems strange he can't pass the POST.

Does the motherboard give any error codes - beep, or LED display readout?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

It's not drivers, I put my Titan X in over GTX 650 drivers with zero issues.

your grandma has a 980?

no... but she does have a gfx card in her PC that had the same issue.

Literally the only reason she needed a gfx card is because the monitor I gave her is messed up and tells the PC to use the wrong resolution. the onboard gfx wouldn't force a resolution on it and it had to be done using either an Nvidia or AMD card.

Literally the only reason she needed a gfx card is because the monitor I gave her is messed up and tells the PC to use the wrong resolution. the onboard gfx wouldn't force a resolution on it and it had to be done using either an Nvidia or AMD card.

what GPU? 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

Usually if something don't boot up it points to the power supply. I know you have a 600w power supply. But do you have a lot of other stuff attached to your pc. If that is the case installing your new 980ti can push the power supply to the limit and if your power supply is a few years old they can reduce in power every year. Maybe you need a bigger power supply. 980ti is a powerful card.

It was a gt 8400 that I had in the pile of grashit cards

Okay. Just curious 

Usually if something don't boot up it points to the power supply. I know you have a 600w power supply. But do you have a lot of other stuff attached to your pc. If that is the case installing your new 980ti can push the power supply to the limit and if your power supply is a few years old they can reduce in power every year. Maybe you need a bigger power supply. 980ti is a powerful card.

The power supply is from December when I purchased the entire computer.

I have 2 HDs 1 SSD a Disc drive, 3 120 fans, external fan controller, i5 and no overclock. Calculators put me at about 480-510W with the 980 Ti

It's not drivers, I put my Titan X in over GTX 650 drivers with zero issues.

Any thoughts what it could be then?

lol... is that nVidia specific?

Because as far as I am concerned the guy can't even POST and the BIOS doesn't save any state between system reboots and it doesn't know anything about drivers.

When I changed from 6870 to 290 it booted perfectly and Catalyst recognized that there is a new GPU so it auto-magically initialized driver re-configuration, rebooted the system for me and I was back up running without any manual labour or hickups...

Anyway seems strange he can't pass the POST.

Does the motherboard give any error codes - beep, or LED display readout?

No beeps. They computer seems to be on, my K70 lights up the proper lighting, computer fans are running, just no signal to the monitor.

I tried plugging in the MoBo integrated graphics with HDMI and DVI-D to both my LG34UM94 and another 1080p monitor, and neither of them worked.

I am about to swap the 970 back in to see if that works....

Any more ideas?

Try and power cycle your monitor. Unplug for a minute and see if that does anything. I had to do it when displayport stopped working before.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Update:

Put the 970 back in and everything works fine.

I am now going to put the 980 Ti back in and try cycling the power on my monitors and check to see if the 1080p monitor works with DVI-D

CPU or mobo dead?

look at the post above you.

Whoops, didn't catch that