"Cheap" gaming upgrade, suggestions?

My current build can run most games, while on medium or low at around 40-50 fps (CS:GO stable 100 fps with high settings).

Now Im looking to upgrade my current system so I can get atleast stable 60 fps on most AAA titles in medium-high conditions, and 120 stable in CS:GO. 

Power supply, case, cooling and storage aren't a problem. Here's my current build:

CPU: Intel i7-860 @ 2,90 GHz boost (LGA1156)

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D LE

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5770

RAM: 8gb DDR3 1333

So I have a big problem, which is to change the overly dated CPU, I would need to completely change the motherboard.

I was thinking of getting a Z97-ProGamer, along with a Asus Turbo GTX 960 2gb and an i5-4690, however this is over my budget and I would have to save for quite a while to get it. Is the motherboard overkill? What do you suggest, with similar performance to these 3 components? Is it even worth upgrading at the moment with the rise of DDR4?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

They say you are what you eat, but I dont remember eating a legend.

SNIP

Just get a new GPU, your CPU is fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

DDR4 is still a fair bit off as far as joe-average-consumer-adoption is concerned. DDR3 is going to be here for a while.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

the CPU is fine just get a 970 and you're set!

My current build can run most games, while on medium or low at around 40-50 fps (CS:GO stable 100 fps with high settings).

Now Im looking to upgrade my current system so I can get atleast stable 60 fps on most AAA titles in medium-high conditions, and 120 stable in CS:GO. 

Power supply, case, cooling and storage aren't a problem. Here's my current build:

CPU: Intel i7-860 @ 2,90 GHz boost (LGA1156)

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D LE

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5770

RAM: 8gb DDR3 1333

So I have a big problem, which is to change the overly dated CPU, I would need to completely change the motherboard.

I was thinking of getting a Z97-ProGamer, along with a Asus Turbo GTX 960 2gb and an i5-4690, however this is over my budget and I would have to save for quite a while to get it. Is the motherboard overkill? What do you suggest, with similar performance to these 3 components? Is it even worth upgrading at the moment with the rise of DDR4?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

I'd say just get a 970 and you're set. if it still isn't enough then you can consider a cpu upgrade.

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura