2 way 680 sli or single 690

YouTube Jaxon10102

2 680's will cost more, give out more heat and consume more power, but it will preform better than a single 690, so it's either:

less heat + less power or more heat + more power.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

2 680's will cost more' date=' give out more heat and consume more power, but it will preform better than a single 690, so it's either: less heat + less power or more heat + more power. [/quote']

2 680s are actually cheaper than a single 690 .

I think if you have the room for it just go for the two cards, since they'll be faster & overclock better.

Not to mention having 2 cards instead of one, I can picture a lot of scenarios where you can take the second 680 put it in another rig, sell it on it's own etc etc.

Or in case one card fails, you would still have the other until the RMA progress is finished, unlike if you had a 690, your system will be unusable until you get that card replaced.

And if you're worried about heat you can just underclock the cards to 690 levels.

get 2, 4 gig 680s. The 680s will overclock and perform much better then the balls to the wall 690.

I would go for 2 680's.

(coming from a guy who bought a HD 6990)

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

i know that pci-e bandwith is not an essential thing but if you are running socket 2011 then you should get the two because they will both run at pci-e 3.0 x16 level but if you are running 1155 they will run at 8x. 2 680 cards will run better and also you have more flexibility with it but again the heat and noise needs to be taken into account unless you want to water cool them.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Hellooou

In some scenearios will perform better the 690 beacuse not all the games drivers support well a SLI config. maybe the Dual 680s will be better in some cases but a 15% increase in performance also increase the noise and temperature of your case.

Regards,

Toxic

I would go with Dual 680's, cheaper, a bit faster and has redundancy of having 2 physical cards so you still run on 1 680 if one dies.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Memory: 32GB 3600mhz DDR4 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 |
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, 850 Evo 500gb, 960 Pro 1tb | Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling Loop (CPU/GPU) | Case: CaseLabs Mercury S8+Pedestal  | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + PA238QR

Hellooou

In some scenearios will perform better the 690 beacuse not all the games drivers support well a SLI config. maybe the Dual 680s will be better in some cases but a 15% increase in performance also increase the noise and temperature of your case.

Regards,

Toxic

A 690 still uses SLI for the 2 cores to talk to eachother, no?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I would go with Dual 680's, cheaper, a bit faster and has redundancy of having 2 physical cards so you still run on 1 680 if one dies.
Which also brings to the point that you don't always have to use both when 1 is adequate for a specific game.

2 680's will perform better but draw a lot more power and run a lot hotter so it's a matter of preference

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Hellooou

Regards,

Toxic

Nope, is not SLI

2 680's 4GB cards. (Be sure to get 4GB) More heat, more power, but higher performance and a larger frame buffer for high-res gaming (1440p or 3x1080p or whatever floats your boat)

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Hellooou

Regards,

Toxic

It is SLI, a 690 or a 7990 are literally two GPUs in SLI/Crossfire on a single PCB

NEITHER wait for the new 680 replacement, SLI really isn't that great. You are more likely to have driver support problems and in some games which don't have SLI Profiles you will end up using a single GPU anyways.