what Pc's were overly expansive 10 or more years ago that are now laughably underpowered and cheap now?

Khamiri

I wish I could remember the make/year, but my parents have an old McIntosh that was pretty beastly for it's time period.

It's so old, that my Duron powered XP rig could run circles around the thing.

I remember lusting over a 256mb gpu. because my family pc only had 64mb(or 32mb idr) integrated graphics, and world of warcraft required 128mb.

side note, that same family pc had a 20gb hard drive, 128mb ram, and i can't recall the processor

10907-emachines-t1115.jpg

I used this pc from 2001, to 2009. And hated every minute of it.

MOBO- MSI z97 gaming 5  CPU- I5 4690k   GPU- G1 Gaming gtx970  RAM- 16gb Corsair Vegeance  PSU- Corsair RM650  COOLING- Corsair H110iGT 

STORAGE- AMD r7 120gb SSD / 500gb HDD  CASE- Phanteks Enthoo Luxe   Sound-  Logitech z506 / Corsair Void  Peripherals- G710, G502

You had this thing.

post-8310-0-21921900-1436161479_thumb.jp

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I don't see why companies just don't upgrade to Windows 7 or even 8. Its more secure, up to date, will last a lot longer, and still gets updates.

Well the US Navy just payed MS a few million for xp support for a few years as the software they use doesn't currently work on anything but xp.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

You had this thing.

attachicon.gifalienware_2.jpg

Those were overpriced for the sheer fact that you could buy a significantly cheaper Celeron and overclock it to Pentium II performance with ease.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well the US Navy just payed MS a few million for xp support for a few years as the software they use doesn't currently work on anything but xp.

By the time they get it to work on windows 7 or 8, those operating systems will be far outdated.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Literally every Macintosh ever created. Besides the first two or three.

Much more than ten years ago, but Tandy @ Radio Shack. $1,500+ (80s USD) for a PC without even a HHD; I think they were 286 systems back then.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Those were overpriced for the sheer fact that you could buy a significantly cheaper Celeron and overclock it to Pentium II performance with ease.

Yeah, I still laugh at those specs for those prices.

Yeah, I still laugh at those specs for those prices.

You wouldn't have when they were brand new  ;) .

PMSL

You wouldn't have when they were brand new  ;) .

True dat.

Alienware then.

Alienware now.

Holy crap, why does everyone constantly rip on alienware? Their deals aren't half as bad as people make them out to be.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx?ndlvid=10c4-d8325

a $850 computer (subtracted the cost of windows because people don't include the price of windows in their builds) with a 750 Ti and an i5 isn't bad compared to what some OEM products ship with. 

The prices are obviously cancer when compared to building a computer at the same cost, but what OEM product's price isn't?

Holy crap, why does everyone constantly rip on alienware? Their deals aren't half as bad as people make them out to be.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx?ndlvid=10c4-d8325

a $850 computer (subtracted the cost of windows because people don't include the price of windows in their builds) with a 750 Ti and an i5 isn't bad compared to what some OEM products ship with. 

The prices are obviously cancer when compared to building a computer at the same cost, but what OEM product's price isn't?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H87I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($124.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($19.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $732.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-06 17:32 EDT-0400

I know you said that building is much cheaper, but it's a lot more substantial than you think. This is with Windows, and an Optical Drive. The only thing I left out was the case. Because Alienware cases are custom-made. You're essentially paying $200 for a cheap, flimsy plastic case that only appeals to 14-year-olds. This is built to-spec from their site, even.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H87I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($124.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($19.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $732.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-06 17:32 EDT-0400

I know you said that building is much cheaper, but it's a lot more substantial than you think. This is with Windows, and an Optical Drive. The only thing I left out was the case. Because Alienware cases are custom-made. You're essentially paying $200 for a cheap, flimsy plastic case that only appeals to 14-year-olds. This is built to-spec from their site, even.

I know how substantial the difference is. But that difference will be there when you compare about any built system to an OEM product. There's no reason to SPECIFICALLY rip on Alienware for their prices. Also, try to do the same thing but using only a selection of one or two stores. Nobody is going to go to all those individual stores to get a single little thing. The price will at least be higher by 50 to 100 US Dollars.

I know how substantial the difference is. But that difference will be there when you compare about any built system to an OEM product. There's no reason to SPECIFICALLY rip on Alienware for their prices.

I don't disregard other manufacturers, so much as acknowledge that Alienware was one of the first to do this, and they do charge a lot. It's not only that their stuff is expensive, but also because it's cheap. You get a flimsy plastic case, terrible cable management, terrible upgradeability. Then you pay a premium for it because it comes with some stickers and wallpapers.

I don't disregard other manufacturers, so much as acknowledge that Alienware was one of the first to do this, and they do charge a lot. It's not only that their stuff is expensive, but also because it's cheap. You get a flimsy plastic case, terrible cable management, terrible upgradeability. Then you pay a premium for it because it comes with some stickers and wallpapers.

And most of those are qualities you can find in usual OEM Computers.

I also haven't heard of Alienware having flimsy cases. Most Alienware/Razer hate is blind rage and nothing else.

Meanwhile, Beats hate is pretty understandable. Charging $400 for sh*t headphones? lol.

And most of those are qualities you can find in usual OEM Computers.

I also haven't heard of Alienware having flimsy cases. Most Alienware/Razer hate is blind rage and nothing else.

Meanwhile, Beats hate is pretty understandable. Charging $400 for sh*t headphones? lol.

Not shit headphones, $25 headphones.

PMSL

Not shit headphones, $25 headphones.

Eh... I was thinking $40-$50.