What to take to uni

Gaming-wise you will be bound to low graphics in triple-A titles and easy games like CS:GO, Skyrim without graphical Mods - at least if you want to stay in the 30-60 FPS range. The point is: it will probably run everything, just not with high fidelity.

Edit: Stuff like Battlefield 4 online will probably be a pain in the ass

The argument between the mobile i5 and i7 is the same as between the desktop i3 and i5. The mobile i7 has 4 physical cores which can help a lot in e.g. strategy games and heavy multitasking. So if you plan on using your laptop rather as a desktop replacement, the i7 makes sense, especially if the cooling of that particular laptop is good and quiet.

The step up to an i7 is not pointless, but it will increase cost and decrease batery life. It's a bit of a toss up.

Ahh right so as a rule of thumb a laptop i7 is around the same as a desktop i5? I think from everything you've said and others, I'm probably going to get a 400-500 pound laptop and get a desktop onse I've saved up more, it seems the best idea really

So I'm currently a college student. I'm going into electrical engineering so not mechatronics but I know of what it is.

Currently, I have a cheap laptop that I've had since high school that has an i5 it's a 17" laptop and it sucks for college. Any heavy laptop will blow when you have to carry it around. Be forewarned.

I also have a gaming desktop I spent about 1k dollars on it. I don't know the conversion sorry. It is my goto. Whenever I need to do something intensive I boot it up and go boom done. A laptop will never give you the speed of a desktop. I really like having it. Also you can give up gaming for a few days when you visit your folks.

Lastly I'm currently going into my third year and I'm in the market for an ultra book. Why? Because 6-8 pounds is heavy and hard to carry around all day. Also I will have a lot more presentations and reports that need to be completed with a group and need a portable workstation that isn't for gaming.

So that's my situation what do I suggest for you? Grab a laptop for now. Make that your daily driver. Then obtain internships/jobs over the summer, use that money to buy a nice desktop. Good luck at University. Best wishes.

That was quite an interesting read. You've got some good points there. I'm used to carrying a really heavey bag everywhere so I'm not worried too much about the weight really but I think I'll probably do exactly what you suggested, seems to be the best way really

I got the Gigabyte P35W v2 with an 870M. It was on sale, and it was really on sale. It's not on sale anymore, and I'm thanking my lucky stars for getting it when I did. There are lower-spec options, of course. And Asus and MSI do some laptops that are just as good in terms of build quality. Mine is a bit on the... toasty side. I can see its future as my Blender machine and my space heater when I'm a poor college student. I would have gone with a GS60 had it been as cheap, but there has been no other case I have seen of an 870M laptop going for $1150. It's pretty crazy. You could probably get yourself a laptop with a GTX 860M for 700 quid if you had a look. Might not be the most solid thing in the world, but hey, any gaming laptop will be better build quality than a consumer-grade laptop (unless it's an Alienware.)

if you do go with an 860M laptop, make sure that it's a GTX 860M and not just an 860M. I hear those are a thing and they're horrible.

Those sound really good! A bit out of my price range but with any luck they'll drop in price for the new school year and I can grab one then :)

Was wondering if someone could elaborate further on why laptop would not necessarily be most useful for taking notes at a lecture?

Speaking from experience (including my own), a laptop in lectures just gets in the way. Laptops are also pretty cheap, you could pick a cheap one with your student loan down the road.

I'm starting uni this September studying mechitronics (robotics) and I'm in need of a computer. My budget is 600-700 pounds and I was wondering weather to get:

1.A powefull laptop such as lenovo y50 or and msi

2.A powefull desktop and a rubbish laptop to take to lectures

Problems being that during holidays I don't want to lug a desktop home to play my games so a laptop would be easier but the laptop wouldn't run games as well as a desktop.

Any way enough from me, what are your guys thoughts, thanks very much

For robotics, you may see more use from a laptop than I did. However, it depends what kind of programs you use. Most of the time, a notebook and pen is way more useful than a laptop.

Without knowing what the course entails, I would get a desktop. You'd be able to get a half decent one that plays games excellently at 1080p 60fps.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

That was quite an interesting read. You've got some good points there. I'm used to carrying a really heavey bag everywhere so I'm not worried too much about the weight really but I think I'll probably do exactly what you suggested, seems to be the best way really

This is a broadwell CPU laptop.  It is 100 more than your budget allows but might be well worth it.

The iGPU is relevant here as it might match a GTX 750/R9250X.  You will be able to game on this, just don't expect too much from it.  It also comes with a 250GB SSD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-WinPRO-B255-15-6-inch-Processor/dp/B00NDD4CQ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1435930426&sr=1-2

I know there has to be better deals for this price.  It is just a loose example.

Speaking from experience (including my own), a laptop in lectures just gets in the way. Laptops are also pretty cheap, you could pick a cheap one with your student loan down the road.

For robotics, you may see more use from a laptop than I did. However, it depends what kind of programs you use. Most of the time, a notebook and pen is way more useful than a laptop.

Without knowing what the course entails, I would get a desktop. You'd be able to get a half decent one that plays games excellently at 1080p 60fps.

One other thing, is there enough room for a desktop in uni accommodation, would it make a room even more cramped?

This is a broadwell CPU laptop.  It is 100 more than your budget allows but might be well worth it.

The iGPU is relevant here as it might match a GTX 750/R9250X.  You will be able to game on this, just don't expect too much from it.  It also comes with a 250GB SSD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-WinPRO-B255-15-6-inch-Processor/dp/B00NDD4CQ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1435930426&sr=1-2

I know there has to be better deals for this price.  It is just a loose example.

That does look like quite a good one, would you be able to get a normal hard drive in with the solid state as its not a very big one

That does look like quite a good one, would you be able to get a normal hard drive in with the solid state as its not a very big one

That would actually be cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-L50-B-2E2-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B00RK7LQXQ/ref=lp_4660209031_1_14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1435931937&sr=1-14

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-E5-571-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B00S1A5ZX8/ref=psdc1_t1_B00RK7LQXQ_B00S1A5ZX8

Those sound really good! A bit out of my price range but with any luck they'll drop in price for the new school year and I can grab one then :)

Ah, wait, I lied, the laptop I have is back on sale again, at least in the US. I have no idea if it's like this in the UK.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233059&cm_re=Gaming_laptop_870M-_-34-233-059-_-Product

Computers in classroom:

People here make it sounds like it is useless. This is not true at all. You need to have the right tools, and the write software and know how to use them, and that varies based on the degree you are pursuing.

In my case I got the Surface Pro 2 (at the time). I was doing my Computer Science degree.

-> With OneNote, it allowed me to digitize all my notes for all my clases. This allowed to search instantly through my notes while reviewing for exams. I didn't have to spend several minutes flipping through multiple notebooks for 1 class, to find what I need, which I forgot where it was. OneNote is a VERY powerful note taking software. Could be better? Yes. But I haven't found anything close as good.

-> OneNote allowed me to import before class starts, the class PDFs inside, and complete my notes directly on them. As OneNote works with infinity large pages. I am never limited in room to write or type. Remember that the Surface Pro has a digitize pen. That means the 'real deal pen'. Thin point, palm rejection, detects when you hover the screen with it, and pressure detection. Once I have my notes at the end of the school day, I merge the notes with my notes, as I complement everything with the book.

-> In addition, It allows me to record class. The idea is not to re-listen to everything once more, you'll probably die of boredom, but to remind yourself, in a way (like in your notes), about things you fail to pay attention and know to be potentially important. I put a symbol, with the time of the class in my notes. In my recording, I subtract the mentioned time with the start time of the class, to know where to look in my recording, jump around there and have a quick listen. Complete your notes, and if you feel you are done with the recording, well, you can delete it, if you want. You can use programs like Audacity to do all this.

-> In math class, the pen allowed me to write everything, use color to highlight things, or a highlighters of any colors you want, and no more (this has always bugs me personally), having examples cut in 2 or 3 pages, where you need to flip, or things like that. I hate not having everything together. This comes back to the infinite pages of OneNote, and how useful it is over traditional pen + paper.

Also, OneNote allows me to sync my notes between my computers online, live, as I write/type my notes.

Now that said, I did my degree, as mentioned, in Computer Science. I have math, and lots of writhing with also math inside those writhing classes.

So, if you don't have math, then a laptop can work, as you just need to type your notes (as you should not really need the pen). So you can get any laptop of your liking and not restricted to the Surface Pro. In my case, I needed both writhing (for math, or the odd math equation/graph/etc that would appear), and typing (my hand writhing is not very good, plus typing is faster)

So, it depends on the degree you pursue.

However, you won't be gaming much with an ultrabook CPU which the Surface Pro series uses. Sure small and old games here and there, but expect to be in a 25-30fps world mostly, and minimum graphics in many games. So ideally, if you do need the pen specifically for note taking, it is best to get both a desktop and a Surface Pro as the ultimate setup for student, is what I strongly believe.

In my case, my university is downtown. So I just take the bus back and forth from home, to university, I don't have to be in over priced dorm room.

Edited by GoodBytes
Spelling

I went to a uni with just a book and a pen.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

can I have both ssd and hhd in either of them?

Yeah, you can buy a 120 or 250GB SSD and pop it in.  I am not sure if either of those two laptops can support dual drives...1 sec..

Computers in classroom:People here make it sounds like it is useless. This is not true at all. You need to have the right tools, and the write software and know how to use them, and that varies based on the degree you are pursuing.In my case I got the Surface Pro 2 (at the time). I was doing my Computer Science degree.-> With OneNote, it allowed me to digitize all my notes for all my clases. This allowed to search instantly through my notes while reviewing for exams. I didn't have to spend several minutes flipping through multiple notebooks for 1 class, to find what I need, which I forgot where it was. OneNote is a VERY powerful note taking software. Could be better? Yes. But I haven't found anything close as good.-> OneNote allowed me to import before class starts, the class PDFs inside, and complete my notes directly on them. As OneNote works with infinity large pages. I am never limited in room to write or type. Remember that the Surface Pro has a digitize pen. That means the 'real deal pen'. Thin point, palm rejection, detects when you hover the screen with it, and pressure detection. Once I have my notes at the end of the school day, I merge the notes with my notes, as I complement everything with the book.-> In addition, It allows me to record class. The idea is not to re-listen to everything once more, you'll probably die of boredom, but to remind yourself, in a way (like in your notes), about things you fail to pay attention and know to be potentially important. I put a symbol, with the time of the class. In my recording, I subtract the mentioned time with the start time of teh class, to know where to look in my recording, jump around there and have a quick listen. Complete your notes, and if you feel done with the recording, delete it, if you wnant.You can use programs like Audacity to do all this.-> I math class, the pen allowed me to write everything, use color to highlight things, or a highlighters of any colors you want., and no more (this has always bugs me personally), having examples cut in 2 or 3 pages, where you need to flip. Or things like that. I hit not having everything together. This comes back to the infinite pages of OneNote.Also, OneNote allows me to sync my notes between my computers online, live as I write/type my notes.Now that said, I did my degree, as mentioned, in Computer Science. I have math, and lots of writhing with also math inside.So, if you don't have math, then a laptop can work, as you just need to type your notes. In my case, I needed both writhing (for math, or the odd math equation/graph/etc that would appear), and typing (my hand writhing is not very good, plus typing is faster)So it depends on the degree you pursue.However, you won't be gaming much with an ultrabook CPU which the Surface Pro series uses. Sure small and old games here and there, but expect to be in a 25-30fps world mostly, and minimum graphics in many games. So ideally, if you do need the pen specifically, for note taking, is to get both a desktop, and a Surface Pro as the ultimate setup for student, is what I strongly believe.In my case, my university is downtown. So I just take the bus back and forth from home, to university, I don't have to be in over priced dorm room.

Wow, its great to have a reply from some one doing it have done it, it helps loads.

I totally agree with you on one note as I use it loads and love it for just reminders and stuff. I've not really used it for documents and taking notes. However having read your post it makes total sense and Im sure I'll start doing it.

Not to the surface,I had the surface rt, the very first one and it was the most awful and useless thing I've ever had in my life... Granted it wasn't full windows and was the first but its made me very weary of the surface line.. The surface pro, and the pen does sound very good though. Thanks for the reply it was great!

Yeah, you can buy a 120 or 250GB SSD and pop it in.  I am not sure if either of those two laptops can support dual drives...1 sec..

Okay thanks

Okay thanks

I did a quick search of the Toshiba, but could not verify the number of slots for drives.  Then I thought to myself...

I run a single 240GB SSD in my PC.  I have a bunch of mechanical hard drives that sit in my desk drawer.  When I need to store/backup/access the data on those mech. drives I use an adapter.

My adapter cost me $20.  It let's me connect any hard drive (even my really old IDE drives) to my PC via USB 3.0. 

So for $20 (12 GBP?), you don't need to ram 2 drives in your machine.  You can switch out the mechanical drive with a much faster 250GB SSD (70 GBP) for daily use.  Then use the adapter to makes backups or store things on the mass storage drive.

Just keep the drive (and the adapter) in a desk drawer.

that seems a lot simpler and will keep the weight down a little bit as well which would be good, thanks man, been a great help!

One of my best little purchases ever.  ;)

Not to the surface,I had the surface rt, the very first one and it was the most awful and useless thing I've ever had in my life... Granted it wasn't full windows and was the first but its made me very weary of the surface line.. The surface pro, and the pen does sound very good though. Thanks for the reply it was great!

Ah. Yes. The Surface RT and Surface 2 I agree with you, are total crap, beside just a machine for watching videos and surfing the web, and if you like IE11, and light Office document editing (ignoring the fact that you have better purchase choices). The Surface Pro is the real deal. Serious power (well for its size) thanks to the Ultrabook U series Intel CPU, full Windows 8.x Pro (soon 10 Pro), and comes with the pen.

Ah. Yes. I said Surface Pro specifically. The Surface RT and Surface 2 I agree with you, are total crap, beside just a machine for watching videos and surfing the web, and if you like IE11, and light Office document editing. The Surface Pro is the real deal. Serious power (well for it's size) thanks to the Ultrabook U series Intel CPU, full Windows 8.x Pro (soon 10 Pro), and comes with the pen.

Yeah I think the pen would be the main attraction for me as my course does have a bit of maths in it, I'll have to look at prices or things and decide what I want from here, thanks

Yeah I think the pen would be the main attraction for me as my course does have a bit of maths in it, I'll have to look at prices or things and decide what I want from here, thanks

Cool. If you are interested, I would, if you can, wait for the Surface Pro 4. I don't know when it is out, but in the U.S Microsoft has been doing, for several months now, price cuts on the Surface Pro 3. This indicates a new Surface Pro is around the corner.

Oh and keep in mind that for all students, you have 10% off the device and keyboard (and a bunch of accessories) at the Microsoft store (online and offline).

Cool. If you are interested, I would, if you can, wait for the Surface Pro 4. I don't know when it is out, but in the U.S Microsoft has been doing, for several months now, price cuts on the Surface Pro 3. This indicates a new Surface Pro is around the corner.Oh and keep in mind that for all students, you have 10% off the device and keyboard (and a bunch of accessories) at the Microsoft store (online and offline).

Oh yeah I had forgotten about the student discount! I don't think I'll get the surface pro 4 thiugh as it'll cost loads, might get the 3 if I can thiugh!