270TB Storinator

zoombay

~snip~

WD Re would be a good choice for this purpose. I'd back up the guys and also suggest that outsourcing this to an outside company would be a better idea. Having such a big setup with many people accessing it would require very good maintenance and a very solid setup. 
I'd make sure the data on the huge array has good redundancy and a strong backup in case of a major failure. Having an experienced company do this for you might be a much better idea compared to doing this on your own.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

If you're serious about this I wouldn't build it yourself. I would contact your local SuperMicro, Dell or HP distributor and get them to provide it. It's all well and good arranging the hardware yourself however what happens when there's an issue? You've got '10,000' potential users on this thing and they've got to wait 24 hours+ for a replacement RAID controller to arrive? They'll leave pretty much instantly. Dell, HP and SuperMicro can all cater to as little as a 4 hour response window for most major areas.

Furthermore the drive configuration you're talking about is a terrible idea to be honest. The rebuild times on RAID's 1, 5 and 6 are quite terrible which means downtime for the service. Your write speeds are also going to be horrible too. The controller in that system you mentioned is a HBA meaning that you're going to be running a software based RAID which isn't all that great for real time RAID environments.

You'll have better luck with a proper server with dedicated support where parts are availible easily as well as 'software' add-on's like CacheCade and FastPath. One server to be honest is definitely not suitable for such a task if you're legitimately going to have 10k users. Have you also looked into how you're going to manage that many FTP accounts too?

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Wanted to clarify a few points here:

While we are definitely not the traditional storage servers on the market (that are far more expensive) 45 Drives' Storinators are not DIY servers. They are industrial-strength machines with the exact same components that you would find in other enterprise-grade servers, including SuperMicro boards and redundant PSU. 

Storinators are tailor-made to your exact needs and specs. Everything from multiple CPUs, hardware RAID to SSD cache, etc are all completely doable.

While we don't offer 24/7 support compared to the "other guys," we absolutely do support what we sell. Some of our customers opt for another Storinator pod to have as hot spare that's ready to go in the (very unlikely) event of a failure - you just swap your drives and keep on going. We are that affordable, it's often more cost-effective to have a hot spare pod than going with a competitor.

Totally get that there are lots of questions around what we offer. We are definitely newer on the market compared to old standbys when it comes to storage servers, but that doesn't mean that our storage pods aren't rock-solid and ultra fast.

Any other questions or things you want to confirm, just let us know. :)

Home of the STORINATOR - Direct-Wired, Ultra-Large Storage Pods

Now offering WD Entreprise-Class Hard Drives!

READ our latest blog post HERE!

Sounds fishy to me. The 5K4000 is a drive from Hitachi, the product code you've listed is for a WD Red. HGST is a WD company but they don't share product codes.

I thought HGST was a Hitachi company? Anyway, what do I know.

I thought HGST was a Hitachi company? Anyway, what do I know.

250px-HGST_CompanyLogo.svg.png

:D

250px-HGST_CompanyLogo.svg.png

:D

Didn't WD acquire Hitachi? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Didn't WD acquire Hitachi? 

Nope, just HGST. 

hahaha come on guys... HGST stands for Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

You saw nothing.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Wanted to clarify a few points here:

While we are definitely not the traditional storage servers on the market (that are far more expensive) 45 Drives' Storinators are not DIY servers. They are industrial-strength machines with the exact same components that you would find in other enterprise-grade servers, including SuperMicro boards and redundant PSU. 

Storinators are tailor-made to your exact needs and specs. Everything from multiple CPUs, hardware RAID to SSD cache, etc are all completely doable.

While we don't offer 24/7 support compared to the "other guys," we absolutely do support what we sell. Some of our customers opt for another Storinator pod to have as hot spare that's ready to go in the (very unlikely) event of a failure - you just swap your drives and keep on going. We are that affordable, it's often more cost-effective to have a hot spare pod than going with a competitor.

Totally get that there are lots of questions around what we offer. We are definitely newer on the market compared to old standbys when it comes to storage servers, but that doesn't mean that our storage pods aren't rock-solid and ultra fast.

Any other questions or things you want to confirm, just let us know. :)

I will consider your clarification is not aiming for marketing.

Thanks  

Not sure what point you're trying to prove here... HGST is a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital, it even says " A Western Digital Company" in their logo...