GPU with an aftermarket cooler - no VRAM heatsinks.

Ethre

Hello, I have a GTX 550Ti . It's an old card, but it still does the job pretty well. I have always owned it with a custom cooler from deepcool. However the cooler was poorly made, and the fan was working at the full speed all the time, so I wanted to upgrade. I noticed something that the new cooler I wanted to buy by arctic cooling had VRAM heatsinks. Then I looked at my GPU and the VRAM wasn't covered in anything other some thermal paste leftover from many years ago. Am I an idiot? Did I ruin my card ?

just buy a new card... and follow your topic.

no, you didnt ruin the card. it still works right? then it's good.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

vram was likely just cooled by the fan/fans on the stock heatsink. no harm done

HAF-x,  silverstone op1000, 4670k 1.28v 4.3ghz,  gigabyte g1 sniper z87,  gskill ares 1866 2x4gb,  EVGA gtx 970 FTW 1518/7800, ocz vertex 4 128gb, seagate SSHD 2Tb

I have used a Kraken G10 which only has the sink on the core and only uses a fan to to cool the non heatsinked VRMS and VRAM. You'll be fine.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

there were and still are alot of aftermarket coolers out there that don't cover vram just make sure you have good airflow in the case and you'll be fine.