What is Skylake?

So I'm looking at building a new rig as I've been using a very old setup for quite some time now, I was looking at the i7-5930k but there seems to be a lot of hype for the new Skylake cpu's, obviously I have time to choose as I'm only buying a new rig in November.

So that being said, could someone please explain why there is so much hype for the Skylake cpu's and would it possibly be better than the i7-5930k?

So I'm looking at building a new rig as I've been using a very old setup for quite some time now, I was looking at the i7-5930k but there seems to be a lot of hype for the new Skylake cpu's, obviously I have time to choose as I'm only buying a new rig in November.

So that being said, could someone please explain why there is so much hype for the Skylake cpu's and would it possibly be better than the i7-5930k?

The hype about skylake is its architecture is supposed to drop wattage use by 40%.

There is more but its more hype and rumor than anything else. Wait until the release in August to find out.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yes, skylake will be better than anything that is out now.  The reason for the hype is because haswell is almost 2 years old now, so we are long overdue for some new tech.  No one knows exactly how much better it will be, it is very likely to only be a 10% improvement, but there is a chance it could be much better.  Also the 5930k is part of intel's extreme edition processors, which probably won't be released until much later than the enthusiast versions, could be a year later.

Yes, skylake will be better than anything that is out now.  The reason for the hype is because haswell is almost 2 years old now, so we are long overdue for some new tech.  No one knows exactly how much better it will be, it is very likely to only be a 10% improvement, but there is a chance it could be much better.  Also the 5930k is part of intel's extreme edition processors, which probably won't be released until much later than the enthusiast versions, could be a year later.

Wrong. There is always hype about new CPUs and GPUs among the tech communtity. Always. That's why.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Wrong. There is always hype about new CPUs and GPUs among the tech communtity. Always. That's why.

There was absolutely zero hype about broadwell for the desktop.  Try again.  The reason for the hype is always because people think there will be some improvement over previous tech.  If they said there would be no improvement then there would be no hype, simple as that.  How much hype is there anytime AMD releases a new APU?  Very little if any.

Thanks for the link, I eventually found the right page.

So basically I wouldn't bother with this until 2017 where apparently we are suppose to get "Cannonlake" which would have improved speeds. 

This answers my question, thanks!

Actually, Cannonlake is delayed. And it was just a tock, supposedly a new process size of 10nm. Buuut that's been put on hold and Kabylake will go in its stead. What differences between Kaby and Sky actually are remains to be seen and is waaaay too far in the future to worry about.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!