Project: I AM IRON MAN

diluzio91

this looks intensely awesome! what parts are going to grace this rig?

At this point it looks like a Sky Lake 6700 and a 980Ti, I'll also be using an M.2 SSD to keep it looking super clean. :D

It's a double update day today! 

Masked off the window shape. 

irg2mRq.jpg

My new dremel cutter made quick work of roughing out the window. 

rJ9NhZC.jpg

and here it is after lots of filing. Nice clean edges, but the anodizing is gone... There's a plan for that.

uVWIbi3.jpg

I totally eyeballed this. Gotta get some more gold on this thing. 

2mwdiAb.jpg

Sprayed down. 

rzZnlMi.jpg

Window was super easy to install, so there's no progress pics of that, but its in.Here's the back, you can see that I used the existing screw posts and then just glued the corners down with builders adhesive. 

eUyRJkb.jpg

I cleaned up a little bit of over spray that leaked under the masking with Goof Off... Here's the final result.

4BxMO2B.jpg

The new window shows off everything really nicely. 

there probably won't be any updates for a little bit while I source some parts and find someone with a water jet cutter and a CNC engraver. 

As always if you want to know or see anything just let me know! 

There's more gold coming. the black being gold would detract from the finished product. 

@Obese Walrus, Thanks M8, although I don't see @Slick in here at all :D

Eh? Iron man is all red and gold. How would doing it properly (like Danwoods) detract?

Maybe Iron Man was a bad theme for you dude.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Eh? Iron man is all red and gold. How would doing it properly (like Danwoods) detract?

Maybe Iron Man was a bad theme for you dude.

This is how I'm imagining you.

5H4mbUV.jpg

You don't like it feel free to unsub.

Love the vinal on the psu

Haha... Thanks, I'm Thinking I might adjust it so the whole Stark Industries logo is visible through the window though. 

I just think a themed mod should follow the theme. Not start adding things. This is a very, very tough scheme to get right so I would look over at Dan's Iron Man PC to see how it's done.

Sorry, don't want to be an asshole but you did ask.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I just think a themed mod should follow the theme. Not start adding things. This is a very, very tough scheme to get right so I would look over at Dan's Iron Man PC to see how it's done.

Sorry, don't want to be an asshole but you did ask.

Just a start, iron man has worn a lot of armor over the years... He's even had apple-esc white and blue armor before.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Iron_Man_Armor

I don't post on these things often.  But this is such an epic build look far.. imo of course.

Corsair 900D [ASUS Sabertooth Z87] i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz [x4 4BG Corsair Dominator Platnum 2133mhz]
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS) [2TB  Western Digital Caviar Black (Storage)] 2x Nivida 980GTX SLI 

Beyerdynamic DT990's [Logitech 600] Razor Blackwiddow Ultimate [MS XBOX360 gamepad]

Just a start, iron man has worn a lot of armor over the years... He's even had apple-esc white and blue armor before.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Iron_Man_Armor

All black though. Not red, gold and black. I don't know why you asked for opinions if you're just going to argue the toss. It's called constructive criticism.

It doesn't look right as it is. In my opinion of course. It needs to be all red and gold.

All black though. Not red, gold and black. I don't know why you asked for opinions if you're just going to argue the toss. It's called constructive criticism.

It doesn't look right as it is. In my opinion of course. It needs to be all red and gold.

Actually nothing you wrote constitutes 'constructive' criticism, you only posted you own opinions. This post re-written as constructive would be like:

The black bits don't belong and should be gold. I would have done the case gold and the black bits red.

"I think it would look better if you did the case in gold and the black bits in red."

THAT is constructive. Its all in how you say it. Now peace out I'm not getting any more invloved in this!

I'm taking a straw poll quickly. So I went to the Hardware store and found another possible paint color. Here's both colors inside the case with decent lighting so you can see each one. 

x8cyC1W.jpg

The choices are satin for the new color, or stick with the gloss. Right now I'm leaning towards the gloss color. Getting a gloss of the darker red is not an option (as it looks pretty bad)

http://strawpoll.me/4905414

So I don't have a ton of progress to show today. My paint on a new part didn't come out, so I have to wait for it to cure before I can sand it down and repaint. I got to see how the test piece turned out from the engraving  shop, and washed my car. So I'll share those to tide anyone who's gotten used to regular updates from me...

Test on the scrap piece of the case

3mif9nt.jpg

Clean and happy car. 

cmVFbpO.jpg

(If posting the car is against the rules just let me know and I'll edit it out.)

snip

Lovely Subie!

Oh... also nice Iron Man artwork there.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

(If posting the car is against the rules just let me know and I'll edit it out.)

I hope it isn't. I'm not a massive Subaru fan, but I do have a weak spot for fast estates...

I'm not actually a fan of Iron Man either, but this build is looking great thus far, so I'm following it!

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

That looks so sexy, are you planning to sell it in the future?

That looks so sexy, are you planning to sell it in the future?

I just got this one actually... If you mean the car

If you meant the case also no... This is where my personal rig is going to live... My wife is getting my current system in a new case after this one is finished as well. 

So I finished the reservoir panel, I'm not 100% happy with the paint on the top after sanding off a coat that I resprayed too soon, but since it's behind the res You can barely see it, and the part with the mask looks good. 

VJgfsSQ.jpg

I got a call from my friends that the laser cutting was finished. Deron (the shop owner) posed with the work he did for me. 

E4egBa8.jpg

Took it home and added gold to the panel. 

KsIlWQG.jpg

Paint is dry to the touch, which is exactly where I want it for this step. If the paint cures it's much harder to weed out the masking agent. 

LYv7RSB.jpg

Most of the big chunks removed... 

dLcylwj.jpg

all of the big bits removed, time to start the detail work where the masking leaked or the laser cut a line that was too fine to pull up. 

rZ3Ohbq.jpg

Close up shot of one of the areas requiring more clean up

nAOnlfd.jpg

This part too. 

TMeyGnH.jpg

About 1.5 hours of weeding an cleaning up the image gives me this

xGELkpu.jpg

And it's installed

eZDKc3E.jpg

I wasn't a huge fan of the Phanteks sticker for headphone jack and Mic, so I had those added as well. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out... Lots of goof off, patience, and about 25 qtips. 

-snip

This is amazing! One of the most unique builds I've seen in a while.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Some of the hardware started arriving! My custom cables and my motherboard are here! I decided to go X99 instead of C170 since I'm going to be doing some streaming on this computer going forward. 

That being said lets look at the Part that the CNC guys finished up for me today. 

ZvEFfW2.jpg

After a little razor work we get the rest of the reactor for painting. 

IgWpIBi.jpg

Painted up, just waiting on the EL panels to get here from china. 

jjKixNS.jpg

The motherboard for this project. Quad Channel DDR4, M.2 slot, and a ton of IO... Sadly the USB 3.0 header isn't oriented the best direction, so that's gonna be a little messy in an otherwise clean build. 

3BFgCXU.jpg

Motherboard in it's new home. 

72AYW8R.jpg

Close up of the bottom

eoUHtDN.jpg

Behind the panel. 

p9zSTYd.jpg

I have more parts on the way including cable combs. Everything for this build has been purchased, it's just elbow grease and assembly from now on. 

absolutely amazing, not a huge iron man fan myself, but totally lovin the build :D

I put the ass in assume

Memory and SSD are here

hOPQ02C.jpg

Memory installed with a peek at the cables. 

M2XA6Z3.jpg

Put the M.2 in. The green really sticks out. 

I7GJ8yG.jpg

Creative vinyl application to hide the green

sL8vPmc.jpg

5820k Installed... I was surprised that it installed upside down, but it's not a big deal. 

byxTeOe.jpg

Water block installed, added cable combs, and bent up the tube from the CPU to the radiator. 

tPacY7q.jpg

Same image without flash. 

u1szunJ.jpg

GTX 980Ti added in.. MMMM pretty... I'm loving the back plate. 

ITw9i1O.jpg

y8WvaOj.jpg

Filling attempt (this one ended in disaster, I ended up filling the loop with a different tube and funnel combo later... 

d97RM8Y.jpg

Tubes all in place, and yes, I used a ton of paper towel... Let's not go into it... I had good reasons.

The loop is leak testing and i'm working the air bubbles out. 

The Original plan to go with gold fluid just looked aweful with the metallic gold paint and the anodized gold fittings. Adding a third gold color into the mix just looked bad... So red fluid it is. 

G3sn8Bm.jpg

oh, and Here's a shot of the mask :D

XAXeLJP.jpg

Wow this is going to look insane when it's done  :P

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

The red fluid really looks good in there, kudos!

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240