SSD Steup

Daniel0898

Windows 8. My os was pre-installed on my current hdd. I am not sure how to re-install my os on my ssd, without transferring all of my other files and other things as well :/

So your PC is an off-the-shelf? Did it come with recovery media for Windows 8? If so do you still have it? If you do then it should be easy to install the OS onto the SSD with that install media and it will activate through the licence key in the BIOS (or EFI).

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

so that's where the problem comes, unless you install it your MB wont detect the OS on SSD, idk if cloning worlds, try cloning your HDD to your SSD, atleast the C drive 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

So your PC is an off-the-shelf? Did it come with recovery media for Windows 8? If so do you still have it? If you do then it should be easy to install the OS onto the SSD with that install media and it will activate through the licence key in the BIOS (or EFI).

In a way it is off the shelf....Since I first got the computer I have replaced every single component except the 1tb hdd. I'm not sure if i kept the recovery media...I might just have to do some more searching.

so that's where the problem comes, unless you install it your MB wont detect the OS on SSD, idk if cloning worlds, try cloning your HDD to your SSD, atleast the C drive 

Yeah, that's the thing though, I don't want to put everything on my hdd, on to my ssd. And I'm not sure how to do that.

Yeah, that's the thing though, I don't want to put everything on my hdd, on to my ssd. And I'm not sure how to do that.

use samsung magician software, clone your C drive, that's the only way. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

use samsung magician software, clone your C drive, that's the only way. 

I'll look into it.

In a way it is off the shelf....Since I first got the computer I have replaced every single component except the 1tb hdd. I'm not sure if i kept the recovery media...I might just have to do some more searching.

You changed the motherboard? The licence the OS uses is tied to the motherboard and in the case of OEM PCs (off-the-shelf) actually in the BIOS. This means you can reinstall the OS with the OEM recovery media, but only on the original board.

It appears your OS have survived being moved from one motherboard to another somehow, The only real option now is to clone the OS since you have no licence key to reactivate it. Take a look at Samsung Magician as suggested above. I know that Seagate and WD have versions of Acronis that can be used to clone both to and from their respective drives, so you could also look at that. You will need to make sure that the data on the partition you are cloning is small enough to fit on the SSD.

Best of luck, feel free to ask if you have any more questions :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

You changed the motherboard? The licence the OS uses is tied to the motherboard and in the case of OEM PCs (off-the-shelf) actually in the BIOS. This means you can reinstall the OS with the OEM recovery media, but only on the original board.

It appears your OS have survived being moved from one motherboard to another somehow, The only real option now is to clone the OS since you have no licence key to reactivate it. Take a look at Samsung Magician as suggested above. I know that Seagate and WD have versions of Acronis that can be used to clone both to and from their respective drives, so you could also look at that. You will need to make sure that the data on the partition you are cloning is small enough to fit on the SSD.

Yes, I did get a new mobo. When I started windows up, I had a trial version, all I had to do from there was re-activate it by calling and getting my new activation code, after explaining that it was a hardware upgrade.

Yes, I did get a new mobo. When I started windows up, I had a trial version, all I had to do from there was re-activate it by calling and getting my new activation code, after explaining that it was a hardware upgrade.

you could call again.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

you could call again.

Well, I just found my windows 8.1 disk. Could I boot up with that and (since i already formatted my ssd) re-install windows on my ssd?

Well, I just found my windows 8.1 disk. Could I boot up with that and (since i already formatted my ssd) re-install windows on my ssd?

yeah, do that, and activate it afterwards 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Cool, I will tell you how it goes.

Well that was stupid. It needs my activation key before it can run windows. I have to go find that now.

Could I used advanced startup to do it? Go to pc setting > update and recovery > advanced setup

My last post ^

Could I used advanced startup to do it? Go to pc setting > update and recovery > advanced setup

um, in Windows 7 you can go forward without a key and activate it later, idk about Windows 8

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

um, in Windows 7 you can go forward without a key and activate it later, idk about Windows 8

I asked me for a key as soon i started loading up...I'm not sure if there is a way to get around it :/ I will look into it

I asked me for a key as soon i started loading up...I'm not sure if there is a way to get around it :/ I will look into it

ok, now that if your Motherboard detects your SSD, just format your SSD and clone your C drive from your HDD

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

ok, now that if your Motherboard detects your SSD, just format your SSD and clone your C drive from your HDD

Okay, so something really interesting just happened...so prepare for the paragraphs :D

I got my product key and booted up with the Windows 8.1 CD. I then continued to follow the prompts until I was told to choose where I wanted to put it.

So I chose my ssd and continued to let windows re-install and all that good stuff.

Once it was done it booted up to a completely fresh windows (Meaning I had NONE of my files or data whatsoever).

I remained calm and restarted my computer and went into the bios.

Once there I manually booted from my ssd to make sure that windows was installed and everything was good.

Well to my surprise, as soon as I started to boot with the ssd it kicked my right back into the bios like I had never done anything to it!

So once back into my bios I booted up normally on my hdd and (much to my relief) I came back into my normal screen and everything, including all my files and pics, etc, was there. 

Now the interesting part.

I went into my file explorer and looked at my devices to find that windows actually DID install on to my ssd, but for some reason it still refused to boot with it. 

So now I have windows installed on my hdd and my ssd? Was this upgrade even worth it??? Will I lose my mind by tomorrow at this rate?!?!?!?!?! I DON'T KNOW!

I will post a screenshot to further illustrate the situation.

I will post a screenshot to further illustrate the situation.

remember why i told you to UNPLUG your Hdd before you install ? that's why.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Well. ****. Why did my hdd needed to be unplugged? 

And how can i fix it?

And how can i fix it?

as i told, install windows on SSD, then when it asks need activation to continue, just colne your C drive to your SSD, this can all be avoided if you just call them and ask for your activation key because of an hardware upgraded again.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

as i told, install windows on SSD, then when it asks need activation to continue, just colne your C drive to your SSD, this can all be avoided if you just call them and ask for your activation key because of an hardware upgraded again.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that i found my product key, so that is no longer an issue.