Ever feel bad about your internet speed?

EIijah

4475584852.png

Feel about average with my speed

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Ever feel bad about your internet speed?

When I'm ISP traffic throttled (always under my data cap, never exceed it) or getting my traffic re-routed from Adelaide to Sydney and Back to Adelaide for NO reason... yep, Sad Panda.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

And I thought Australia was bad

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I do feel sorry for you. I've had problems like that with my ISP.

But right now at work I'm enjoying 100/100 connection :)

Well it's only around 90 because there's 50+ people using it as well, at home I get 100/6 so it's not so bad.

4476078522.png

I am with Virgin media in UK. I get 100/15. I get than 24/7 and at night it's sometimes faster but I always get a minimum of 100Mbps. I pay for that so I expect it to be at a 100Mbps. If they need to throttle my connection because someone else needs to have some speed, then they need to upgrade the infrastructure. There is a company in Bournemouth, right next the me (Southampton) that does gigabit internet, yes- GIGABIT. As soon as they step into my town I'll be all over that gigabitness..

im sorry but you dont get 15 up as even the 152 package only has a 12mb upload. im going to the 100 down 6 up package from the 80 down 20 package on bt which i do get full 80 down 20 up on but the company itself is the biggest con in the industry, charging more than they should, charging for engineer visits when they havent done anything and im not stupid when it comes to how vdsl works and that kind of stuff, infact ive had 4 engineers tell me i should be doing their job.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

im sorry but you dont get 15 down as even the 152 package only has a 12mb upload. im going to the 100 down 6 up package from the 80 down 20 package on bt which i do get full 80 down 20 up on but the company itself is the biggest con in the industry, charging more than they should, charging for engineer visits when they havent done anything and im not stupid when it comes to how vdsl works and that kind of stuff, infact ive had 4 engineers tell me i should be doing their job.

Are you saying he doesn't get 15 down or up? because Virgin are by far the best fibre suppliers in the Uk and he could quite easily get 15 up it just depends on where you live and how much fibre they have laid. Quite often Virgin give you better speeds than the package states because they want to test there system out with high loads to see if they need to improve it or where they can improve it.This is most likely just a temporary deal though as they aren't getting enough people switching over to fully test out the infrastructure. When I lived in dundee they had just recently started with fibre and we were one of the first group of cities to get it I paid for a 50MB package and they upgraded us to 100 MB for free just so they could test everything. It was fantastic I can't see why any private resident would ever need any more than 100MB as I lived in  a flat with two other students and we were all extremely heavy users and I never even had a hint of a problem with it.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Are you saying he doesn't get 15 down or up? because Virgin are by far the best fibre suppliers in the Uk and he could quite easily get 15 up it just depends on where you live and how much fibre they have laid. Quite often Virgin give you better speeds than the package states because they want to test there system out with high loads to see if they need to improve it or where they can improve it.This is most likely just a temporary deal though as they aren't getting enough people switching over to fully test out the infrastructure. When I lived in dundee they had just recently started with fibre and we were one of the first group of cities to get it I paid for a 50MB package and they upgraded us to 100 MB for free just so they could test everything. It was fantastic I can't see why any private resident would ever need any more than 100MB as I lived in  a flat with two other students and we were all extremely heavy users and I never even had a hint of a problem with it.

crap i meant upload speed, i know vm usually give you more but he aint getting 15 up on the 100 package, its not gonna be over as twice as much as it should be.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

crap i meant upload speed, i know vm usually give you more but he aint getting 15 up on the 100 package, its not gonna be over as twice as much as it should be.

Yeah they do tend to give you pretty low upload speeds to avoid line saturation but there's definitely room for 15 I was on the 100 package and was getting 8-9 and I think the occasional 11 off peak.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Used to have .5 down .01 up, now i have:

4479303230.png

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

10bucks 4475503662.png

I wish governments in all countries would realize how bad is for the future to not invest in internet infrastructure, when more and more businesses rely on it year by year.

They should make laws that ISP's follow some standards in that regard but oh well, 85$ for that speed its just too much, you people are made fun of by corporations, sorry for you.

Holy SHITTTTTT

I want that. I only have 150/10

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

10bucks 4475503662.png

I wish governments in all countries would realize how bad is for the future to not invest in internet infrastructure, when more and more businesses rely on it year by year.

They should make laws that ISP's follow some standards in that regard but oh well, 85$ for that speed its just too much, you people are made fun of by corporations, sorry for you.

9 ms ping madness how does it feel to be in the top 1 percent :P

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

10bucks 4475503662.png

9 ms ping madness how does it feel to be in the top 1 percent :P

There is a company in New Zealand who does realize this and they're working on our area as well as all farm area's because of how important it is now for small home businesses to have access to fast internet, my mother runs a small home business by herself and is a lot less efficient then she could be because it takes forever to upload photos and stuff.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Yeah they do tend to give you pretty low upload speeds to avoid line saturation but there's definitely room for 15 I was on the 100 package and was getting 8-9 and I think the occasional 11 off peak.

for some reason the put it back down to 6, it should be atleast 10 considering isps like sky can give 20.

How on earth is it that the US still can't get those sort of speeds? Am I right in assuming those of you with more than 30 Mb/s are NOT in the US?

How on earth is it that the US still can't get those sort of speeds? Am I right in assuming those of you with more than 30 Mb/s are NOT in the US?

Not in the US or Australia.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I guess it's because the US is so vast it would be a logistical nightmare not to mention the fact that you most likely have a ridiculous amount of different ISPs. In the UK we really only have like maybe 7 commonly used ISPs one of which being the powerhouse that is Virgin so it really isn't that big of a financial deal for them to lay fibre. We have two large companies BT and Virgin fighting to get that fibre money. Virgin came in way ahead of BT snapping up all the densely populated cities so Bt had to take the sloppy seconds focusing on smaller towns and rural areas. 

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

This is my actual internet speed at 10pm, it's sometimes slightly better sometimes much worse to the point of pretty much no connection of up to an hour happening most days. We pay for broadband and this is what we get. My friend who lives a 5 minute drive from me gets 10Mb/s so no I don't live in the middle of no where. The exchange box in my area is overloaded with too many people on too few connections. I practically can't download anything till I go to bed and set it up to download over night.

Unless you have worse internet then me no longer feel bad about yours! :D

4475303342.png

A five minute drive is a huge amount of distance when you're trying to send power up a copper line. A 5 minute walk will take you from 60Mbps VDSL2 down to 10Mbps ADSL2+.

Have you tried calling their broadband helpdesk? Feel free to PM me your address and I'll look into options for you.

A five minute drive is a huge amount of distance when you're trying to send power up a copper line. A 5 minute walk will take you from 60Mbps VDSL2 down to 10Mbps ADSL2+.

Have you tried calling their broadband helpdesk? Feel free to PM me your address and I'll look into options for you.

The tech support for my isp is terrible, basically I get a "Are you using etherenet" and "Ok we'll look into it more bye" Currently there are no other options but a wireless company not too sure how they do it like 4G system has come by and said they'll try get there system going for us. I understand how close you need to be to an exchange box for stuff like VDSL but my point is they have decent exchange boxes around us but refuse to spend for a new one for us...

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

Ok, my internet isn't that great. Its slower than dialup at the moment, and I'm supposed to be getting a minimum of 10Mbps.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4482343345.png

I am paying for 50 down but closest I ever get is around 47. It drops into the 30's during busier parts of the day. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

The tech support for my isp is terrible, basically I get a "Are you using etherenet" and "Ok we'll look into it more bye" Currently there are no other options but a wireless company not too sure how they do it like 4G system has come by and said they'll try get there system going for us. I understand how close you need to be to an exchange box for stuff like VDSL but my point is they have decent exchange boxes around us but refuse to spend for a new one for us...

I'd recommend taking your post to Geekzone, follow the Peter Reader instructions and someone will help you a lot more. Very knowledgeable people in that forum. What's the wireless company called? VDSL you need to be within 800M of the DSLAM, roughly.

I'd recommend taking your post to Geekzone, follow the Peter Reader instructions and someone will help you a lot more. Very knowledgeable people in that forum. What's the wireless company called? VDSL you need to be within 800M of the DSLAM, roughly.

Trust me I know my options haha, I've search extensively and there are no options at the moment, we live something like 1.5Km from the exchange box and no one else in our area gets any better speeds, There isn't a VDSL option only ADSL2

People say they have so many problems with Comcast, but my service is flawless. I get these speeds 24/7.

4485701570.png

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |