Wait for skylake?

Should i go ahead now and build a Z97 system or should i wait for Z170 & Intel Skylake?

I'm in the same situation as you, deciding to use Haswell or wait for Skylake :/

Depends on when you build it. If you're okay with waiting, then wait.

Should i go ahead now and build a Z97 system or should i wait for Z170 & Intel Skylake?

You should ask yourself why you would even want a Skylake CPU. Skylake improves overall performance only about 10-15% and you'll most likely pay 100$ more for a CPU.

IMHO that isn't worth it. But eventually you will see Haswell prices drop a few bucks.

I would go for a Haswell CPU.

Build a Z97 system. The difference in performance will be very small, and you'll be able to get the parts much cheaper.

Unless you really need some specific feature from Skylake that is, of course.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

In my opinion it depends on what you've got now. If you have something that's still decent enough to coast along for another 2–3 months, waiting for Skylake will be fairly painless. If you can't game at all, Haswell is good enough.

With skylake the ssd market would change and consumer ssds would become faster as sata express comes along with higher bandwidth speeds.

But is it gonna be so much faster it actually matters?

I'd say stick with Haswell unless you really want to shell out for the latest model.

With skylake the ssd market would change and consumer ssds would become faster as sata express comes along with higher bandwidth speeds.

Wouldn't you be able to get faster speeds just by setting up a bunch of SSDs in a RAID configuration?

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

It's said Skylake should be released around August, but there is a delay or something, so we probably won't see it until the end of the year.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It all depends on what you have and what you intend to do with it. I'm still happily on sandy bridge and will probably be until the mobo dies or something revolutionary comes along that would actually make the upgrade worth the money.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Personally I am waiting, next mobo I buy will have the nvlink and whatever cpu is needed to drive it.

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit