Best SLI Air Cooling?

Mr.Beavis

Hi Guys,

so my question is:

I am planning to run a SLI setup in my future build. 2x GTX 780. But i'm wondering what air cooling solution is ideal. Stock or custom cooler like the ACX cooler from EVGA.
Is it posible that a custom cooler could be worse than a stock cooler for SLI since the hot air doesnt blow out of the case?

English is not my motherlanguage, so sorry for that :)

greets

Neither are very good for SLI/CF really, you need a good case with good airflow. I would still go with non-reference cards.  

Custom coolers will cool your card better but will heat up your case a bit more (as you said), however as long as you have good airflow in your case you'll be fine. 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

As long as you have a good airflow pattern (in the front, out the top or something like that) with positive pressure in the case, whether it's a blower type cooler or no shouldn't matter. Have you considered a water cooling solution or is that out of your budget? The more hardware you pack in one space, the less effective air cooling is going to be without adding more fans.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Jeez, thx for that quick respondses, awesome forum :)

To give u more details from my build:

Case:
Fractal Define XL R2
or
NZXT Phantom 820
(other suggestions are welcomed)

CPU cooler will be a Corsair H110

I will not go for water cooling for the Graphics cards.

Jeez, thx for that quick respondses, awesome forum :)

To give u more details from my build:

Case:

Fractal Define XL R2

or

NZXT Phantom 820

(other suggestions are welcomed)

CPU cooler will be a Corsair H110

I will not go for water cooling for the Graphics cards.

Maybe you could take the Corsair Carbide Air 540 and buy 3x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm/Cougar Dual-X 120mm as Front Intake. and use the 2x 140mm that came with on your h110?

Any dual or triple fan coolers would be good. Just get the cheapest one.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Maybe you could take the Corsair Carbide Air 540 and buy 3x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm/Cougar Dual-X 120mm as Front Intake. and use the 2x 140mm that came with on your h110?

or better yet, yateloon fans or nb e-loops.... you know, fans that are actually good. hell, even noctua fans are better than bitfenix super louds.

or better yet, yateloon fans or nb e-loops.... you know, fans that are actually good. hell, even noctua fans are better than bitfenix super louds.

the 120mm bitfenix spectre pro's are loud? i don't own them i only saw video, what about the Cougar Dual-X, ive watched videos where it is really quiet

the 120mm bitfenix spectre pro's are loud? i don't own them i only saw video, what about the Cougar Dual-X, ive watched videos where it is really quiet

ennnhhhhh. youtube is bad.

trust me, the cougars and bitfenix pro's are loud. to be honest, most fans out on the market are bad.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoS5JlAslu0xvKRkxMO3Bkg

is the best reviewer for cooling i've seen yet. his website is in italian so you have to be able to read italian... or use google translate.

the 780's stock cooler is pretty good as is. best way to keep the cards cool is to not place them in the slots which are directly next to each other. if thats possible on your mobo...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Hi Guys,

so my question is:

I am planning to run a SLI setup in my future build. 2x GTX 780. But i'm wondering what air cooling solution is ideal. Stock or custom cooler like the ACX cooler from EVGA.

Is it posible that a custom cooler could be worse than a stock cooler for SLI since the hot air doesnt blow out of the case?

English is not my motherlanguage, so sorry for that :)

greets

Give me one 780…then you only need to worry about your single 780. Problem solved.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

TBH I think the issue of GPU coolers that dump heat into your case is a little over stated. If you set fan curves to ramp up when they the CPU/GPU is under load (you're playing a game so fan noise should be an issue) air moves through the case pretty quickly, the CPU and GPU/s will be a little hotter (5 degrees max, even on low fan speeds, I've tested it), but even then who really cares, it doesn't matter too much.

I'd get the after market cards, they'll still run cooler which will allow GPU Boost 2 to work it's magic to a greater degree.

How many people recommending after-market coolers in SLI/xfire have actually used a configuration like that?  :rolleyes: 

How many people recommending after-market coolers in SLI/xfire have actually used a configuration like that?  :rolleyes:

usually zero..

airdeano

usually zero..

airdeano

Something I've noticed is that this forum is rife with people giving rubbish advice based on what they've read, rather than what they've tried/done.

Get the Asus DCU II they work really well.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Thanks guys.
So as long as my case air flow is alright, SLI with custom coolers should be all right, right?

And:
Isnt a side case fan almost essential for SLI, like intake for stock cooler and exhausting for custom cooler?

Thanks guys.

So as long as my case air flow is alright, SLI with custom coolers should be all right, right?

And:

Isnt a side case fan almost essential for SLI, like intake for stock cooler and exhausting for custom cooler?

I use crossfire and I use the side fan for intake.

i5 3570k @4.6 ghz | Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO | Asus DCUll 780ti @1200/1400 | 1 TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair HX 750 80+ gold | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Blu | Cooler Master haf 912 windowed edition |  2 x crappy  4:3 monitors (1024x1280) | ASUS VG248QE 1080p 144hz monitor|

#KILLEDMYWIFE  #POOKLO

I heard the HAF X has great airflow and is a fairly inexpensive case. Pair those with Direct CU 2's and you're all set brother.  

For all the falsely accused: message me and we can decide how to right all the wrongs that happened to you!

I'm looking at the major corporations, the lying online communities, the government that protects us...

We are HUMANS, not robotic slaves! 

If your cards have no space between them, then I would't really recommend any sort of air cooling, because the 1st graphics card will be starved of air and you will notice very high temperatures on that card.

If you're going to have at least a single slot open in between each card, then I would recommend a custom air cooler like Gigabyte or Asus.

With my setup, I am using the Gigabyte coolers to exhaust the cards air out the top of my case.  

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

If you have a mobo that supports 4 way SLI, get 2 non reference and put 1 in slot 1 and 1 in slot 3 or 4, I did this and it dropped my top card's temp quite a bit.  Slot 1+2 isn't that great, the top gpu ends up being like 20 degrees hotter because it's starved for air

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'm currently using two reference 660 ti's and i'm very happy with the performance. The temps in the rest of my case barely changed when i added the second card.

top card runs at about 29c at idle bottom 26c load temps never exceed 65

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

If you have a mobo that supports 4 way SLI, get 2 non reference and put 1 in slot 1 and 1 in slot 3 or 4, I did this and it dropped my top card's temp quite a bit.  Slot 1+2 isn't that great, the top gpu ends up being like 20 degrees hotter because it's starved for air

if you do this can you fit in a soundcard between them?

For all the falsely accused: message me and we can decide how to right all the wrongs that happened to you!

I'm looking at the major corporations, the lying online communities, the government that protects us...

We are HUMANS, not robotic slaves! 

if you do this can you fit in a soundcard between them?

Yeah here's a picture of what mine looks like atm.

3Qt24.jpg

I've changed cases and now I'm curious if I can put the second card in slot 4 and the phoebus in slot 3, but idk if front panel stuff will get in the way :q

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089