Magnet Links take forever

ved

When I download a torrent and I choose the magnet link instead of the downloading the file and opening that file, the magnet takes a long time to show all its information in uTorrent. Why does this happen?

It's just based on the torrent itself with regard to seeds, peers, etc. There's no functional difference between a torrent file and a magnet link.

The Metadata has to be downloaded no matter what, so your speed may vary depending on both your Internet connection and how many peers/seeds the torrent has. Could also be throttled by your ISP.

Additionally, uTorrent is an awful bit torrent client, and you should really switch.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

It's just based on the torrent itself with regard to seeds, peers, etc. There's no functional difference between a torrent file and a magnet link.

The Metadata has to be downloaded no matter what, so your speed may vary depending on both your Internet connection and how many peers/seeds the torrent has. Could also be throttled by your ISP.

Additionally, uTorrent is an awful bit torrent client, and you should really switch.

Which client should I use instead?

you guys should be useing VUZE

its the absolute best torrent client

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

When I download a torrent and I choose the magnet link instead of the downloading the file and opening that file, the magnet takes a long time to show all its information in uTorrent. Why does this happen?

magnet links taking along time is normal

the torrent info has to be downloaded from other peers

and it take a while to find the peers and sources

What does Deluge do that uTorrent doesn't do?

It doesn't suck. It doesn't have ads. It doesn't track you. It doesn't do really stupid shit that no bittorrent client needs to do.

For the record, on mobile, I use flud

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

@papus thanks for the like?

I liked cause I have the same problem and wanted to get notified :D

I use deluge

Second this. I also use Deluge. It's also open source, and it's not compromised (allegedly) by the NSA.

What does Deluge do that uTorrent doesn't do?

See above, and see @niel's response as well.

you guys should be useing VUZE

its the absolute best torrent client

No way. VUZE is a buggy piece of shit that runs on JRE. Anything that must run on JRE I therefore hate by default.

It doesn't suck. It doesn't have ads. It doesn't track you. It doesn't do really stupid shit that no bittorrent client needs to do.

For the record, on mobile, I use flud

This. Deluge is my favourite Windows client. There are other good ones, but uTorrent is no longer safe or good to use.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

No way. VUZE is a buggy piece of shit that runs on JRE. Anything that must run on JRE I therefore hate by default.

then you haven't used vuze in along time

I used it for literally since like 2005, right up until I switched to to Deluge a year or so ago. I don't see anything it offers that is useful compared to Deluge, while Deluge performing far better with no bugs, glitches, crashes, freezes, slowdowns, or anything else.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I used it for literally since like 2005, right up until I switched to to Deluge a year or so ago. I don't see anything it offers that is useful compared to Deluge, while Deluge performing far better with no bugs, glitches, crashes, freezes, slowdowns, or anything else.

Ah, before February 2013 deluge was a steaming pile of crap if you had any large amount of torrents (100+) ;)

Windows you'd be alright, do an apt-get install on a debian box and you'll get a very old version.

Ah, before February 2013 deluge was a steaming pile of crap if you had any large amount of torrents (100+) ;)

Windows you'd be alright, do an apt-get install on a debian box and you'll get a very old version.

I don't run Linux as my daily driver, so that isn't an issue. Also, who downloads 100+ torrents at once? I don't have time to watch the crap I DO download! :P

I don't run Linux as my daily driver, so that isn't an issue. Also, who downloads 100+ torrents at once? I don't have time to watch the crap I DO download! :P

Not so much about downloading, it's about seeding (private trackers). Currently seeding 338 myself :P

Not so much about downloading, it's about seeding (private trackers). Currently seeding 338 myself :P

That's a ridiculous waste of your bandwidth.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

What is your internet Download/Upload speed?

Thing is last version of vuze I remember was a commercial sellout based on the already too big azureus made even more bloated

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Some magnet links may not come with tracker information, meaing it may take longer to download. Also in terms of clients I usually recommend deluge, but the latest version has been nothing but problems for me, so I can't say much.

Comb it with a brick

That's a ridiculous waste of your bandwidth.

What is your internet Download/Upload speed?

My internet is free, since my workplace pays for it. Will have 200/200 in a month or so. But in saying that 97% of them are inactive, and I rate limit the upload to 2.5Mbit since I only have 10 up at the moment. It's all about longevity of content. The vast majority of my bandwidth is done by a VM in France which has 1000/1000, and I don't pay for it. I've sustained a week at 800Mbit upload on that box before.