Is this a good setup for gaming at 1080p 60hz

DatGuyParker
Go to solution Solved by Speaker1264,

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DatGuyParker/saved/#view=vvwXsY

(You might notice that the power suply is missing that is because I already have bought the power supply, a Corsair CX series 750M)

The games I mostly play are ArmA 3, Grand Theft Auto V, And Star Citizen.

If it is a deal killer, I brought the red back, but no 980 TI, sorry.  :( It is still a good build, and cheaper than yours but with better performance because upgrading from the 970 to the 980.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($514.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($12.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($37.24 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1214.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-27 04:06 EDT-0400

(You might notice that the power suply is missing that is because I already have bought the power supply, a Corsair CX series 750M)

Have any questions? just PM me

Jared Patten

@DatGuyParker you have a locked processor (non k) with an overclockable mobo and aftermarket cpu cooler, do you plan to overclock?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

You dont need 240ml cooler on no K (No Overclock) CPU, better off getting Stock or cheaper cooler like EVO or darkrock if you want silence 

Magical Pineapples

Components are not perfect for the money you have

I dont think, that have to buy a water cooler for that CPU, especially when you are not able to overclock it.

I can recommend beQuiet Dark Rocks  for silent builds.

With a $1300 budget you can afford to get a 980 TI.  Slightly cheaper CPU, but if you weren't planning on overclocking anyway it won't make much of a difference.  No aftermarket cooler, since the stock cooler is good enough for a non-overclocking cpu. A slightly cheaper motherboard, you don't need z97 if you aren't overclocking or going sli/crossfire.  A slightly cheaper case, but still good quality.  Cheaper ram, since all ram pretty much performs the same in games.  And a beast of a graphics card, the 980 TI.  if you really want the NZXT case though, you could downgrade to the GTX 980, which is still probably more than enough for mostly everything you do.

Unfortunately this does kill your red theme.

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($649.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Micro Center) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($37.24 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1292.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-27 03:55 EDT-0400

With a $1300 budget you can afford to get a 980 TI.  Slightly cheaper CPU, but if you weren't planning on overclocking anyway it won't make much of a difference.  No aftermarket cooler, since the stock cooler is good enough for a non-overclocking cpu. A slightly cheaper motherboard, you don't need z97 if you aren't overclocking or going sli/crossfire.  A slightly cheaper case, but still good quality.  Cheaper ram, since all ram pretty much performs the same in games.  And a beast of a graphics card, the 980 TI.  if you really want the NZXT case though, you could downgrade to the GTX 980, which is still probably more than enough for mostly everything you do.

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.89 @ OutletPC) 

Thats what i would buy with that specific budget.

If it is a deal killer, I brought the red back, but no 980 TI, sorry.  :( It is still a good build, and cheaper than yours but with better performance because upgrading from the 970 to the 980.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($514.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1214.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-27 04:06 EDT-0400

@DatGuyParker you have a locked processor (non k) with an overclockable mobo and aftermarket cpu cooler, do you plan to overclock?

I dont plan on overclocking my CPU. Sorry this is my first build

Jared Patten

Do I need a cooler?

Jared Patten

Oh my God. Why would you recommend a 980 Ti with an i5 CPU? The GPU is going to be bottlenecked by the CPU in CPU intensive situations, like in the city in GTA V, especially with a lot of NPCs on screen, and Novigrad in WItcher 3.

@DatGuyParker

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Oh my God. Why would you recommend a 980 Ti with an i5 CPU? The GPU is going to be bottlenecked by the CPU in CPU intensive situations, like in the city in GTA V, especially with a lot of NPCs on screen, and Novigrad in WItcher 3.

@DatGuyParker

So should I go for a i7-????

Jared Patten

So should I go for a i7-????

No, stick with the i5 unless you're going to be using the system for workstation applications as well. I don't think an i5 would meaningfully limit performance in any realistic scenario, and even if it did, Hyperthreading usually won't make much difference anyway.

I don't mean to take shots, but CPU bottlenecks don't really work like the guy above suggested.

No, stick with the i5 unless you're going to be using the system for workstation applications as well. I don't think an i5 would meaningfully limit performance in any realistic scenario, and even if it did, Hyperthreading usually won't make much difference anyway.

I don't mean to take shots, but CPU bottlenecks don't really work like the guy above suggested.

Ok thanks for the info :)

Jared Patten

In the future I would also consider upgrading your monitor to either 1080p 144hz, or 1440p.  Then use your current monitor as a secondary display for browsing/watching videos while you have your games on your main screen.

Here is good one if you want that ultra smooth gaming.

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $249.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-27 17:36 EDT-0400

All my 4 cores hit 100% usage in games like GTA 5, BF4, Witcher 3 and I get stuttering and microstuttering. There's a reason recommend requirements include an i7. You keep suggesting i5's, then people complain about stuttering and blame developers for poor optimization. Take a look at frametimes (and fps) in Novigrad in Witcher 3:

https://youtu.be/Rutk9ErhKG4?t=1m21s

But once we hit 01:12 - a tour of Novigrad City on horseback... well, then we see some big changes. This area can hit 80% utilisation across all eight threads on a Core i7 4790K! The less powerful the CPU here, the more CPU stutter you encounter.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

All my 4 cores hit 100% usage in games like GTA 5, BF4, Witcher 3 and I get stuttering and microstuttering. There's a reason recommend requirements include an i7. You keep suggesting i5's, then people complain about stuttering and blame developers for poor optimization. Take a look at frametimes (and fps) in Novigrad in Witcher 3:

https://youtu.be/Rutk9ErhKG4?t=1m21s

There was almost no difference between the i5 and the i7 in that video.  I think for half the cost the i5 is a great deal.  And this is one game, in small area of that game.  Of course cities are going to tax your cpu more, but 90% of the game occurs away from those areas, and like I said the i5 still performed near the same.

Also, once DX12 becomes standard the cpu bottlenecks are going to become even more irrelevant.  And just for future reference, the Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 is a far better value than the i7 for someone who doesn't plan on overclocking.

There was almost no difference between the i5 and the i7 in that video.  I think for half the cost the i5 is a great deal.  And this is one game, in small area of that game.  Of course cities are going to tax your cpu more, but 90% of the game occurs away from those areas, and like I said the i5 still performed near the same.

Also, once DX12 becomes standard the cpu bottlenecks are going to become even more irrelevant.

I seriously hope you are trolling...

No difference? The difference is 13 fps, and no microstuttering. In GTA 5 you're in the city most of the time.

DX12 reduces CPU overhead and enables multiple cores to talk to the GPU. But if you're already hitting 100% on all cores DX12 is not going to improve performance. There's stuff CPU needs to process per frame, and if non-rendering cores are hitting 100% with DX11, there's no room for improvement. Making draw calls will be less expensive, but the CPU will not be able to process everything else. And since other cores (other than the rendering one) hit 100%, they can't afford to talk to the GPU anyway. So no increase in performance in those situations.

It's 6-core and 8-core CPUs that will benefit the most from DX12. 4 core CPUs will benefit only when the sole bottleneck is draw calls.

No difference? The difference is 13 fps, and no microstuttering. In GTA 5 you're in the city most of the time.

DX12 reduces CPU overhead and enables multiple cores to talk to the GPU. But if you're already hitting 100% on all cores DX12 is not going to improve performance. There's stuff CPU needs to process per frame, and if non-rendering cores are hitting 100% with DX11, there's no room for improvement. Making draw calls will be less expensive, but the CPU will not be able to process everything else. And since other cores (other than the rendering one) hit 100%, they can't afford to talk to the GPU anyway. So no increase in performance in those situations.

It's 6-core and 8-core CPUs that will benefit the most from DX12. 4 core CPUs will benefit only when the sole bottleneck is draw calls.

I edited my post some time ago, but okay I will give you this.  Maybe in some games the 8 threaded cpu + 980 will perform better, but I am willing to bet that more often than not the 980 ti and the 4 threaded cpu will outperform it.

Core i7 4790K - 65.0/84.4
Core i5 4690K - 52.0/79.2

Those were the results from that very short 2 minute test, of a worse case scenario.  13 fps difference in minimum fps, and 5.2 fps difference in average fps.  And just by guessing it looks like the i7 and i5 had average frametimes somewhere between 15 and 20 ms.  Unfortunately the user didn't provide that info.  It doesn't look to me like the frame-times of the i5 were jumping enough to cause noticeable stuttering, and they stayed pretty low throughout the whole test.

And I believe that you are wrong about DX12.  DX12 reduces a lot of the CPU overhead, as explained on ExtremeTech, "The newer graphics libraries allow developers to write graphics code that runs directly on the GPU, rather than going via the CPU. Once upon a time it made sense to go via the CPU, but now it’s just seen as unnecessary overhead."  Which means less cpu use, and more performance.  DX12 isn't going to make much of a difference if you weren't CPU bottlenecked to begin with.

I edited my post some time ago, but okay I will give you this.  Maybe in some games the 8 threaded cpu + 980 will perform better, but I am willing to bet that more often than not the 980 ti and the 4 threaded cpu will outperform it.

Core i7 4790K - 65.0/84.4
Core i5 4690K - 52.0/79.2

Those were the results from that very short 2 minute test, of a worse case scenario.  13 fps difference in minimum fps, and 5.2 fps difference in average fps.  And just by guessing it looks like the i7 and i5 had average frametimes somewhere between 15 and 20 ms.  Unfortunately the user didn't provide that info.  It doesn't look to me like the frame-times of the i5 were jumping enough to cause noticeable stuttering, and they stayed pretty low throughout the whole test.

And I believe that you are wrong about DX12.  DX12 reduces a lot of the CPU overhead, as explained on ExtremeTech, "The newer graphics libraries allow developers to write graphics code that runs directly on the GPU, rather than going via the CPU. Once upon a time it made sense to go via the CPU, but now it’s just seen as unnecessary overhead."  Which means less cpu use, and more performance.  DX12 isn't going to make much of a difference if you weren't CPU bottlenecked to begin with.

I don't know what they're on about, everything has to go via the CPU. It's the brain of a computer and it tells the GPU what to render.

The following slides from AMD show perfectly how DX12 works compared to 11:

100f.jpg

100h.jpg