Graphics Card recommendations?

m1cr0l
Go to solution Solved by m1cr0l,

So far, 

AMD: r7 370 4gb, r9 280x, r9 280, r9 270x

Nvidia: GTX 960

Hi people of the forum, I am looking to upgrade my graphics card from my current gtx 750 1gb to something else. The main aim of this upgrade is to have a card which is able to play gta v on high settings. Right now due to the 1gb vram limitation, I am encountering lots of stuttering at high settings. However, I am able to run most of my other games like bioshock, metro etc at fairly high settings.

In case you're wondering, I'm playing on a 1600x900 monitor so any recommendations as to what graphics card should I get? Don't need anything too fancy but I hope that my upgrade can last me for at least a year. I am fine with both AMD and Nvidia, just hoping through this post to get some ideas for my upgrade. Thanks a lot peeeps!

Budget?

GTX 960?

EDIT:

Other specs of system?

Finally got PS4 Pro

What's your budget? And what's your frame rate target? At 900p?

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

GTA V High ... probably 960, 280, or 380

a 970 will do near max settings, but may be out of your ideal budget.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

In my country, things are quite expensive so after doing the math, it should be about ~200 USD.  

CPU: intel i5-4460

Ram: 8gb

Unpopular opinion incoming:

Don't buy the 960, get the 280x instead.

You get a lot more performance, and you get 3GB of VRAM. (You will not need more than two for 1600x900, but 3GB allows you to upgrade to a 1080p monitor without having the same problems as you have now.)

When in doubt: C4

In my country, things are quite expensive so after doing the math, it should be about ~200 USD.  

CPU: intel i5-4460

Ram: 8gb

R7 370 4GB then.

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

280x is better.

I know, just gave suggestion from 900p.

Wanted to know other details of the system, so other questions thrown in.

Finally got PS4 Pro

Store you would be buying from? Also what is your budget in your currency?

Not sure about the store cuz I'm thinking of maybe buying a used gpu. My budget in my currency is around 300 SGD

Why buy a 370 when a 270X is cheaper and better?

270X is better for low resolutions, but out of stock anywhere I looked. But for 1080p it is the better choice.

The 370 might be a bit slower out of the box, but runs 4GB of ram, meaning it could run 1440p and some 4k content in the future and can be overclocked for similar performance.

So far, 

AMD: r7 370 4gb, r9 280x, r9 280, r9 270x

Nvidia: GTX 960

280x is better.

280x is also ~50€ more expensive than 960 outside of USA.

Well, thanks for all your suggestions, I will definitely do more research on the suggested cards. Thanks for all your help!

R9 285 or R9 280x ( 285<280x )

Either that or a R9 270x or HD7870

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

270X is better for low resolutions, but out of stock anywhere I looked. But for 1080p it is the better choice.

The 370 might be a bit slower out of the box, but runs 4GB of ram, meaning it could run 1440p and some 4k content in the future and can be overclocked for similar performance.

Having more vram on a low tier card is the biggest fucking waste of money, we all hate the 4gb 960, and we all will learn to hate the 4gb 370.

And haveing anything overclocked compared to a stock clocked opponent will make them have "similar performance".