How does a CPU die shrink help performance?

Also, is it only a die shrink that intel does for their Ticks? 

Another thing, does that mean that (for example) the PS3 slim has a faster CPU than the original model? The slim has a 45nm die while the original has a 90nm die.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

One of AMD's exec explained this on a recent TechofTomorrow interview, I'll link you and timestamp one second.

finding timestamp

At 9:00 (9 minutes) in they start talking about it for just like 30 seconds D:

In a nutshell it makes it cheaper to manufacture and more power efficient. These translate into better performance/$ and performance/W.

Pack more into the same size area. Thus more performance

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

It doesn't really, not by itself. With a die shrink, you can either make the same thing with less silicon (higher yields, more chips per wafer, so overall lower production cost, and lower power consumption per chip) or you can put more transistors in the same amount of silicon, improving performance.

It's only good for pr0n viewing. You can store more tiny penises in the same space, so you can watch more of your favorite videos. For proof, try watching a pr0no on a machine from 30 years ago. You can't. But you can still write text. Now with so many die shrinkings, we can watch penises without them shrinking in 4k.  A wise person once said everything is motivated by horny dudes and girls after all.

I don't do signatures.

It's only good for pr0n viewing. You can store more tiny penises in the same space, so you can watch more of your favorite videos. For proof, try watching a pr0no on a machine from 30 years ago. You can't. But you can still write text. Now with so many die shrinkings, we can watch penises without them shrinking.  A wise person once said everything is motivated by horny dudes and girls after all.

What-Minion.gif

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

What-Minion.gif

Everything relates to sex somehow, you just have to dig deep enough. ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º) To be fair, I did link an actually helpful video though.

I don't do signatures.

Also, is it only a die shrink that intel does for their Ticks? 

Another thing, does that mean that (for example) the PS3 slim has a faster CPU than the original model? The slim has a 45nm die while the original has a 90nm die.

Shrinking the distance between transistor gates doesn't make a processor inherently faster. 2 cpus built the same way except for that size will run with the nearly identical performance. The difference though is one will be smaller and on top of that it will be more power efficient.