Underclocking xeon e3-1230 v3

Totla newbie to adjusting any clock settings on a K series Intel let alone a Intel Xeon 1231 v3. Why would one lower cpu voltages? To Increase ram frequency? I have flipped the net upside down for any info. Not really wanting to do this as much to understand why.

Totla newbie to adjusting any clock settings on a K series Intel let alone a Intel Xeon 1231 v3. Why would one lower cpu voltages? To Increase ram frequency? I have flipped the net upside down for any info. Not really wanting to do this as much to understand why.

people would lower voltages to reduce heat, no one in their right mind would underclock it though

If heat was an issue you may want to lower clock speeds. If you having stability issues you could under clock and see if that fixes it.

None of those should be actual fixes though. More like troubleshooting or band aids.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Lowering CPU voltage can drastically reduce heat, and if you CPU clock is still stable, performance remains the same.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

If heat was an issue you may want to lower clock speeds. If you having stability issues you could under clock and see if that fixes it.

None of those should be actual fixes though. More like troubleshooting or band aids.

The xeon isn't unlocked so you cannot underclock it.  He wants to reduce the voltage for some reason though.

Why would reducing the voltage of the cpu increase the ram frequency?  What the heck?

The xeon isn't unlocked so you cannot underclock it.  He wants to reduce the voltage for some reason though.

You can change locked CPU's multiplier, the only difference against K is that you can't go above its original multplier, you can underclock only.

This is a signature.

Before I got a good cooler for my 2500k, it ran at 1.26V instead of the stock 1.3 because the cooler wasn't adequate enough, I was still able to overclock it to 4.4GHz though. Lower voltages just means it will run cooler, and the lower the voltage the lower the clockspeed you can have

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -