ECC mac pro ram in a desktop?

Hello everyone! so I have a sabertooth mobo with a xeon 1320v3, and I found a good deal on ram. the issue is its

" 240-pin 1866 MHz PC3-14900 DDR3 ECC Registered RAM (2013 Mac Pro)"

would that work as standard DDR3? could I use ECC?

thanks!

If mobo supports it, you can use it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

X99 or Z97 or Z77 or P67 sabertooth?

The Mac Pro footnot just means that that is the memory that Apple has certified to work with Macs

Motherboard: MSI G45 | CPU: Intel i7 4790K | RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | SSD: 2x Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | PSU: Corsair HX650W | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120's | Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition | OS: Windows 10

X99 or Z97 or Z77 or P67 sabertooth?

The Mac Pro footnot just means that that is the memory that Apple has certified to work with Macs

sabertooth z87. 

there was a kit for 2x8gig kit for 30$ that i didnt bid on because wasn't sure if it was the same 

As long as it's the right ram for your board it'll work, Apple only certifies like 3 different memory chips to work in their machines, and they label it as such, it still works in normal machines as well.

Clever trick really, if a guy has the cash to spare providing it doesn't work, you might get other ram to work in macs as well

/endofftopic

The Sabertooth Z87 does NOT support the ECC memory, so you'll need to look for non-ECC sticks.

Motherboard: MSI G45 | CPU: Intel i7 4790K | RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | SSD: 2x Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | PSU: Corsair HX650W | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120's | Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition | OS: Windows 10

As long as it's the right ram for your board it'll work, Apple only certifies like 3 different memory chips to work in their machines, and they label it as such, it still works in normal machines as well.

Clever trick really, if a guy has the cash to spare providing it doesn't work, you might get other ram to work in macs as well

/endofftopic

The Sabertooth Z87 does NOT support the ECC memory, so you'll need to look for non-ECC sticks.

will ECC ram run just not in ECC mode? mixed results from google.

It may work, it may not work, hard to say, there's no point in buying it and seeking it out specifically, when you can buy non-ECC in abundance for half the price.

@Kyuubixchidori

It may work, it may not work, hard to say, there's no point in buying it and seeking it out specifically, when you can buy non-ECC in abundance for half the price.

@Kyuubixchidori

There's ecc memory for Mac pros that are half the price of normal ram. Note the 16 gig kit sold earlier today for 30$

That was an ebay auction, that doesn't really count, I am talking new. Personally I would never buy memory used like that, just because the ad says "god working condition" doesn't mean that's true. Someone with that kind of memory likely has enough to take a pic of the BIOS running on other ram as well.

Just buy some new non-ECC stuff call it a day.