Is this a good plan

Hey guys, right now I have an i3-2120 with a GTX 970 (asus) and my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68 AP-D3

I want to buy a cheap i5 while I wait for skylake to come out as right now I think there is a bottleneck. So my question is should I get an i5-2400 for only £65 or get an i5-2500k for £95, and if I get the 2500k will I be able to overclock it on my motherboard? (I will buy an aftermarket cooler as I will need one for skylake anyway).

Thanks

Hey guys, right now I have an i3-2120 with a GTX 970 (asus) and my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68 AP-D3

I want to buy a cheap i5 while I wait for skylake to come out as right now I think there is a bottleneck. So my question is should I get an i5-2400 for only £65 or get an i5-2500k for £95, and if I get the 2500k will I be able to overclock it on my motherboard? (I will buy an aftermarket cooler as I will need one for skylake anyway).

Thanks

Skylake is coming out not too long from now.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Thanks

Fuck skylake, will always use a 980x. 980x is love, 980x is life.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Are you sure you can't wait a few more months for Skylake?

Sure you'll need a new motherboard, and we don't know how it overclocks yet, but can you really not wait?

Sandy bridge is only 10% behind haswell, so its only going to be about 18% behind skylake.

18% is quite a lot though...

Say you get 55FPS normally, 18% more would give you a comfy 65fps, probably higher than your monitor!

(On a CPU limited game that is, how common are these? I know of 1...)

18% is quite a lot though...

Say you get 55FPS normally, 18% more would give you a comfy 65fps, probably higher than your monitor!

(On a CPU limited game that is, how common are these? I know of 1...)

under 70 fps with an 2500k is almost always gpu bottleneck, +18% cpu performance only translate to +18% is there is already a huge cpu bottleneck, a 2500k shouldn't bottleneck anything under 75fps, so yeah as you said only on cpu limited game

under 70 fps with an 2500k is almost always gpu bottleneck, +18% cpu performance only translate to +18% is there is already a huge cpu bottleneck, a 2500k shouldn't bottleneck anything under 75fps, so yeah as you said only on cpu limited game

I personally have a 2600k and there are games that bottleneck my CPU, admittedly my monitor is 144hz so that helps. Or not.

I personally have a 2600k and there are games that bottleneck my CPU, admittedly my monitor is 144hz so that helps. Or not.

if you're display would be your bottleneck that would be a clear indication that you've overspent, admittedly everyone wants to achieve display bottleneck, because if you think about it running every game at 4k 60+fps means a display bottleneck on a 4k display, as is 144+fps on 1080p on such display.

if you're display would be your bottleneck that would be a clear indication that you've overspent, admittedly everyone wants to achieve display bottleneck, because if you think about it running every game at 4k 60+fps means a display bottleneck on a 4k display, as is 144+fps on 1080p on such display.

NoNo, the display as a bottleneck would mean that you're using v(/g)sync on and have too powerful hardware. Not getting the 144fps because the CPU is not powerful enough is common in some prerelease games (Space Engineers, Carmageddon... which is released now... meh)

I want to buy a cheap i5 while I wait for skylake to come out as right now I think there is a bottleneck.

You're probably hitting a CPU wall in some games but is it really, really bad? Like, unplayable? I'd imagine it's not usually that bad.

If not, I'd recommend just toughing it out for a few more months until we've got Skylake. If you really need something new now, it might be worth jumping on Haswell instead since Skylake probably won't be that much better. It's pretty hard to justify buying a used Sandy Bridge chip just to tide you over until August.