Dell Inspiron 620 Graphics card upgrade problems (URGENT)

Hi I have a dell inspiron 620 computer that used to have the specs :

Dell Motherboard

AMD 6670

I5 2320

4GB RAM 

1TB HDD

I decided i needed to upgrade it so I bought a  AMD R9 280x and a 600w PSU but the problem is that there is no setting in the bios to select the AMD card so whenever its plugged in it the card turns on and the fans spin but it does not output anything and whenever I connect it to the inboard it doesn't work until I unplug the power cables from the graphics card . I have literally tried everything , SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME !!!

Hi I have a dell inspiron 620 computer that used to have the specs 

I decided i needed to upgrade it so I bought a  AMD R9 280x and a 600w PSU but the problem is that there is no setting in the bios to select the AMD card so whenever its plugged in it the card turns on and the fans spin but it does not output anything and whenever I connect it to the inboard it doesn't work until I unplug the power cables from the graphics card . I have literally tried everything , SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME !!!

You might need to update your motherboards bios.

Reset bios?

You might need to update your motherboards bios.

I have cleared CMOS and I am on the most recent BIOS =(

Try having another monitor plugged into the onboard gfx or use a derpy PCI card and try to get into the bios. See if there is a setting for graphics adapter. If you can't find anything, boot into windows and look under device manager for the new card

Try having another monitor plugged into the onboard gfx or use a derpy PCI card and try to get into the bios. See if there is a setting for graphics adapter. If you can't find anything, boot into windows and look under device manager for the new card

I have also tried that it still doesnt display anything even with 2 monitors =(

The problem is that there is no bios setting to disable integrated graphics is there a way around this ?

OEM piece of shit motherboard designed for overpriced OEM piece of shit graphics cards 

I would replace the motherboard with something... not dell.

Would that work ? 

Would that work ?

As long as the graphics card actually works and the new motherboard is the same size (some dell motherboards are not standard sizes) as well as the same cpu socket is the same it should work. Look up the standard ATX motherboard sizes and find one that supports your CPU and graphics card.

• 4 years later...
On 6/23/2015 at 7:15 PM, FrenziedGamer said:

Would that work ? 

I got a 1060 to work in one of these. It picks and chooses which ones it wants to work with. Try finding a card that works and then see if a bios option pops up.