Why does my internet speed tank for no reason?

Virtual01

Recently set up a new rig and while downloading steam games I have noticed that my download speed will randomly plummet from ~1.4 MBs to about 200 KBs. Nothing I have tried seems to restore the origial speed aside from restarting. The same thing happens on my laptop that I have been using for 2 years.

Why would my connection throttle like that and then not go back to how it was? If I just open steam and let it sit the high download speed stays forever. It just seems that doing "stuff" will cause my download speed and internet speed in general to drop.

I'm willing to try anything, restarting all the time is a huge pain in the ass.

wifi does that, try using ethernet

^This, and to add to that, Comcast is known for throttling "heavy users", so you might have to call Comcast and ask them  "whats up". When I was on Comcast earlier this year I was being throttled when I was downloading games from Steam, but the funny thing is that when I called to complain about the throttling(well, slow speeds), they would lift the limiter while I was on the phone with them(lol). If it isn't the WiFi connection, then its probably Comcast.

i call at&t whats up and i get same speed :l 

Same with CenturyLink :( , but the last time I called I canceled the service. I told them "Sucks to suck" lol, but these ISP's should really treat customers better. 

Recently set up a new rig and while downloading steam games I have noticed that my download speed will randomly plummet from ~1.4 MBs to about 200 KBs. Nothing I have tried seems to restore the origial speed aside from restarting. The same thing happens on my laptop that I have been using for 2 years.

Why would my connection throttle like that and then not go back to how it was? If I just open steam and let it sit the high download speed stays forever. It just seems that doing "stuff" will cause my download speed and internet speed in general to drop.

I'm willing to try anything, restarting all the time is a huge pain in the ass.

It's because everyone is connected on one loop. Everyone is connected to one giant server and the loop everyone is connected to uses internet. Including TV.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT