First Build Any Problems?

This is my first build, it will be used for some creation (game making), gaming, video/photo editing and the usual

CPU:                               Intel i7 4790K

RAM:                               Hyper x Fury Series (16GB 2x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz

Motherboard:                  Asus-Tek Computer Z97-Pro GamerATX

GPU:                               EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX Cooler 2.0 4GB VRAM

HDD:                               1TB Caviar Black 

SSD:                               Kingston Technology 240GB Drive 2.5inch V300

Cooling:                           Cooler Master Hyper 412s

PSU:                               Corsair builder series CXM 500w Semi-Modular

Case:                              Fractal Design-Define R4

The one thing that i'm not sure about is the cooler, will it be sufficient for the CPU especially when under load

Thanks for any replies 

Looks good. The cooling performance will largely depend on how much you overclock. Under stock settings don't sweat it.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

um, okay *i'm going now

he's been reported, don't leave i'll help you out.

yes your hyper 412 is perfectly adequate for that CPU...you should be even able to overclock as far as 1.3v on the Vcore will allow you...should be in the neighberood or around 4.5ghz....depending on the quality of your Chip..

What you should worry about it the powersupply...this is a very low end unit and 500w is really barely enough... i would defenetly suggest you allow some more budget for something better...if the PSU goes pouff it can kill your entire system and then you have to find what is dead and it's a mess.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

he's been reported, don't leave i'll help you out.

yes your hyper 412 is perfectly adequate for that CPU...you should be even able to overclock as far as 1.3v on the Vcore will allow you...should be in the neighberood or around 4.5ghz....depending on the quality of your Chip..

What you should worry about it the powersupply...this is a very low end unit and 500w is really barely enough... i would defenetly suggest you allow some more budget for something better...if the PSU goes pouff it can kill your entire system and then you have to find what is dead and it's a mess.

right that was the other thing, what about the Seasonic S12G-650  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-S12G-650-650W-Certified-Silent/dp/B00FW6EIIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434850116&sr=8-1&keywords=SeaSonic+S12G+650W

oh yeah...that's a hell of a lot better for your powersupply...if you can afford this unit you'd be golden.

That is in fact the same PSU as the XFX XTR that i'm using in my system ATM...but this one is even better it's the 650W...but even with an i7 and a GTX 780 (more power hungry than a 970) my 550W unit is dead silent, cool running and reliable...this is a very good unit from seasonic.

-snip-

Because it was not funny, not appropriate and i didn't enjoyed your ''joke''

On a more serious note.

''will be used for some creation (game making), gaming, video/photo editing and the usual''

in his case, i think hyper-threading on his CPU will be more helpful than a 10-15% boost on his GPU...the 4790K will last him longer, and he will have a better experience overall...he will probably want to upgrade his GPU in a couple years, but the GTX 980 will also be needing a replacement by then...the 4790K will be hauling the mail for a while still where as the 4690K will be pinned across the board.

If you could fit a 980ti and i5-4690K it would be worth the trade off...but i'd rather have an i7 and a GTX 970 than an i5 and a GTX 980.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

This is my first build, it will be used for some creation (game making), gaming, video/photo editing and the usual

CPU:                               Intel i7 4790K

RAM:                               Hyper x Fury Series (16GB 2x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz

Motherboard:                  Asus-Tek Computer Z97-Pro GamerATX

GPU:                               EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX Cooler 2.0 4GB VRAM

HDD:                               1TB Caviar Black 

SSD:                               Kingston Technology 240GB Drive 2.5inch V300

Cooling:                           Cooler Master Hyper 412s

PSU:                               Corsair builder series CXM 500w Semi-Modular

Case:                              Fractal Design-Define R4

The one thing that i'm not sure about is the cooler, will it be sufficient for the CPU especially when under load

Thanks for any replies 

Great CPU.

Wasting money on that RAM.

Seems like a good motherboard, but could probably spend less and get the same stuff.

Great choice on Graphics Card.

Standard HDD, so that's ok, probably not enough space for video/photo editing.

You could save money elsewhere and get a better SSD.

CPU cooler will work, but don't expect a great overclock with low temps.

PSU looks to be enough power, not the best, not worth upgrading though.

My recommendation? ...

Get lower speed RAM, all that 1866 speed crap is not going to be noticeable compared to 1333 or 1600. so you are wasting $100 for "more speed".

Get a different motherboard with the same features, you will still get a quality motherboard, just at about 2/3 the price.

With all that saved money... Buy a AIO CPU Cooler, and a better quality SSD.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

Great CPU.

Wasting money on that RAM.

Seems like a good motherboard, but could probably spend less and get the same stuff.

Great choice on Graphics Card.

Standard HDD, so that's ok, probably not enough space for video/photo editing.

You could save money elsewhere and get a better SSD.

CPU cooler will work, but don't expect a great overclock with low temps.

PSU looks to be enough power, not the best, not worth upgrading though.

My recommendation? ...

Get lower speed RAM, all that 1866 speed crap is not going to be noticeable compared to 1333 or 1600. so you are wasting $100 for "more speed".

Get a different motherboard with the same features, you will still get a quality motherboard, just at about 2/3 the price.

With all that saved money... Buy a AIO CPU Cooler, and a better quality SSD.

thanks straight to the point (being objective)

thanks straight to the point (being objective)

:) Let us know if you are looking to make those changes, and we can recommend something for you.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

I made some adjustments, hopefully it's all good now

I changed the cooler, SSD, RAM and PSU

Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock pro 3

SSD: Samsung EVO 850 Series 250GB

RAM: Hyperx fury black edition 16GB (2x 4GB) 1600MHz

PSU: Seasonic S12G-650 650W 80+ Gold

I made some adjustments, hopefully it's all good now

I changed the cooler, SSD, RAM and PSU

Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock pro 3

SSD: Samsung EVO 850 Series 250GB

RAM: Hyperx fury black edition 16GB (2x 4GB) 1600MHz

PSU: Seasonic S12G-650 650W 80+ Gold

great, but this cooler is a hassle to install...that's the only negative thing about it though...it's nice...just take your time to mount it properly...everything else are good choices.

great, but this cooler is a hassle to install...that's the only negative thing about it though...it's nice...just take your time to mount it properly...everything else are good choices.

Great thanks for the help