Steam Machines

I think Valve made a big mistake with the Steam Machines. The idea was brilliant, but the way they're executing said idea? I think it's fair to say that it's questionable.

Even though Valve say they aren't aiming their new platform at console gamers, they really are competing with the PS4 and XBone. However, the things that console gamers love about consoles, Valve have completely ignored.

The biggest thing being that they're releasing several different Steam machines. For techies, this would be no issue. We know the specs and can cut through the bullshit. But why do they think that console gamers could tell the difference between an i3-4130 and an i5-4460?

What they SHOULD have done is released one Steam Machine with Alienware. Yes, Alienware. The reasons being that:

1. Their iteration of a Steam Machine looks quite compelling at a very competitive price, it should perform well.
  2. EVERY console gamer knows who Alienware are.

Alienware are synonymous with PC gaming (from a console gamer's perspective). This would provide a marketing advantage over any other iteration.

Just as a side note, I won't be buying a Steam Machine, nor would I ever buy an Alienware product.

So... Thoughts?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Most people, even the tech illiterate can go "i5, i3" well obviously bigger number = better. And they can tell that if Steam machine 1 is $100 more expensive than Steam machine 2, it plays better.

I think it's perfect as it is, tbh. I won't buy a steam machine, might be an excuse to make a small ITX HTPC though.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Most people, even the tech illiterate can go "i5, i3" well obviously bigger number = better. And they can tell that if Steam machine 1 is $100 more expensive than Steam machine 2, it plays better.

I think it's perfect as it is, tbh. I won't buy a steam machine, might be an excuse to make a small ITX HTPC though.

But now you're creating a significant premium over existing consoles, meaning it isn't such a good buy.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

But now you're creating a significant premium over existing consoles, meaning it isn't such a good buy.

The ones aimed at console players would be the ones in the $400-$550 range, those a bit more affluent will go for the more expensive ones.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

i think steam machines are just dumb in general, there not costing anyless than a regular pc.  so why even bother?

The ones aimed at console players would be the ones in the $400-$550 range, those a bit more affluent will go for the more expensive ones.

But now a gamer sees that their Steam Machine is way cheaper, well what if it performs poorly? What if I'm spending loads of money for shit? WHAT IF!?

Whilst the devils at Sony or Microsoft tempt with their simple, easy to use, SINGLE platform, console.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

i think steam machines are just dumb in general, there not costing anyless than a regular pc.  so why even bother?

Because it isn't aimed at techies. If you're a techy, just build a PC. You'll get more for your money.

But it does make sense for console gamers because they don't want the hassle of building a PC. And why should they?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Because it isn't aimed at techies. If you're a techy, just build a PC. You'll get more for your money.

But it does make sense for console gamers because they don't want the hassle of building a PC. And why should they?

they shouldn't have to deal with the hassle,  but there's plenty of sites, ncix and others that will build the PC and ship it to you, or they have pre-made "gaming" PCs to choose from, so why is a steam machine a good idea?  because its small?  and again you have to be somewhat tech savvy to know which steam machine to buy as there's a metric but load of different models with different processors, gpus, ram etc

they shouldn't have to deal with the hassle,  but there's plenty of sites, ncix and others that will build the PC and ship it to you, or they have pre-made "gaming" PCs to choose from, so why is a steam machine a good idea?  because its small?  and again you have to be somewhat tech savvy to know which steam machine to buy as there's a metric but load of different models with different processors, gpus, ram etc

Which is why there should have been a single Steam Machine from a reputable firm.

Pre-made PCs tend to be low quality or just have crap components. Or getting a boutique built one tends to carry a bit of a premium. And you're still technically gaming on a PC which brings its own flaws like drivers, compatibility issues, etc etc. Something that, if I were a console gamer, I wouldn't want to deal with.

EDIT: The building service requires your input on what parts, which I doubt most people would spend the time to learn about.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Which is why there should have been a single Steam Machine from a reputable firm.

Pre-made PCs tend to be low quality or just have crap components. Or getting a boutique built one tends to carry a bit of a premium. And you're still technically gaming on a PC which brings its own flaws like drivers, compatibility issues, etc etc. Something that, if I were a console gamer, I wouldn't want to deal with.

EDIT: The building service requires your input on what parts, which I doubt most people would spend the time to learn about.

i suppose

i suppose

Single, Alienware Steam Machine that can run most games at 1080p 60 fps.

Boom. Steam Machine success.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Steam should make their own individual one/license a company to make it and allow nobody else to commercially sell a product with steam OS installed, but still allow a download so that us techies can build our own. Bam end of story, problem solved.

- snip-

Steam should make their own individual one/license a company to make it and allow nobody else to commercially sell a product with steam OS installed, but still allow a download so that us techies can build our own. Bam end of story, problem solved.

Whilst I agree with that in principle, you could easily create a small PC that is capable of being a full desktop. Thus, SteamOS can be installed.

However, that is a lot of hassle, so I doubt many regular consumers would go that route.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Whilst I agree with that in principle, you could easily create a small PC that is capable of being a full desktop. Thus, SteamOS can be installed.

However, that is a lot of hassle, so I doubt many regular consumers would go that route.

ands thats why steam would have its pre-built, so people who dont want to build can go that route.

- snip-

ands thats why steam would have its pre-built, so people who dont want to build can go that route.

If someone goes to the effort of building their own rig, why put SteamOS on it? Sure, it has better living room capabilities, but not all games are available on SteamOS. I'd have thought most people would just put Windows on it.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

If someone goes to the effort of building their own rig, why put SteamOS on it? Sure, it has better living room capabilities, but not all games are available on SteamOS. I'd have thought most people would just put Windows on it.

you're looking at this too subjectively, to valve all they do by making steamOS a free download is potentially widen their consumer base and Linux adoption, there are no cons FOR VALVE. And most people with an HTpc would dual boot windoww/steamOS

- snip-

you're looking at this too subjectively, to valve all they do by making steamOS a free download is potentially widen their consumer base and Linux adoption, there are no cons FOR VALVE. And most people with an HTpc would dual boot windoww/steamOS

But I feel they could have made it potentially more commercially successful by offering a single Steam Machine.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

But I feel they could have made it potentially more commercially successful by offering a single Steam Machine.

I agree with you, but I'm just adding on that there should be a download for it as well.

- snip-