Thinkpad Appreciation Thread

Maybe they were the type that doesn't move their finger much, and reset their finger position a lot... so they navigate the mouse in a bunch of smaller swipes and their finger mostly swipes across the same area.  I know a person that does that...

I'm guilty of this haha

didnt think of that. Im a trackpoint man personally, concave in my favorite!

What should be my first ThinkPad?

ALL I'm going to do is browse the internet.

I would get a chromebook but it's useless if I'm not connected to the internet.

hmm you want new or willing to go used? either way id say T or W series X is good as well.

X230 is a good option right now. Battery upgrades (9-cell and 6-cell slice) add about $150-200 (battery life well over 15 hours, potentially 20 depending on usage), and also has space for an mSATA SSD which I'll probably throw in along with the HDD. That's assuming the X240 doesn't meet my expectations.

Works out to about $1000 with only battery upgrades and a further $250 for mSATA SSD and extra RAM.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

X230 is a good option right now. Battery upgrades (9-cell and 6-cell slice) add about $150-200 (battery life well over 15 hours, potentially 20 depending on usage), and also has space for an mSATA SSD which I'll probably throw in along with the HDD. That's assuming the X240 doesn't meet my expectations.

Works out to about $1000 with only battery upgrades and a further $250 for mSATA SSD and extra RAM.

arnt the *40 series designs coming soon?

arnt the *40 series designs coming soon?

Presumably, but still no official Lenovo sources. There was one Hong Kong site with X240/240T, but the site appears to be down. X1 Carbon may also get a Haswell refresh by September/October.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Presumably, but still no official Lenovo sources. There was one Hong Kong site with X240/240T, but the site appears to be down. X1 Carbon may also get a Haswell refresh by September/October.

I would wait if possible for the haswell because I would want the new features and stuffs.

I would wait if possible for the haswell because I would want the new features and stuffs.

I'm still waiting, but if it comes with the severe tradeoffs (lack of trackpoint buttons, hinge design, possible rumour of only 1 DIMM slot) that we're seeing on the *40s models, I won't be getting the newer one. If it turns out I like the hinge design (sister got an X1 Carbon touch, I'll get to see it in a couple of weeks), and if the X240 has physical trackpoint buttons, I'll go for it.

I'm still waiting, but if it comes with the severe tradeoffs (lack of trackpoint buttons, hinge design, possible rumour of only 1 DIMM slot) that we're seeing on the *40s models, I won't be getting the newer one. If it turns out I like the hinge design (sister got an X1 Carbon touch, I'll get to see it in a couple of weeks), and if the X240 has physical trackpoint buttons, I'll go for it.

ahh for the X series your talking? Cause if the T and W series are like that they just lost all enthusiast support.

ahh for the X series your talking? Cause if the T and W series are like that they just lost all enthusiast support.

Yeah, I'm looking mainly at the X series due to their size/portability and battery upgrades. T series is good too (14" model), and comes with great battery life despite the lack of slice battery. Docking capability is a must have too, and I seriously hope the new T, X and W series have that feature.

Yeah, I'm looking mainly at the X series due to their size/portability and battery upgrades. T series is good too (14" model), and comes with great battery life despite the lack of slice battery. Docking capability is a must have too, and I seriously hope the new T, X and W series have that feature.

My T420 has a slice battery (though I killed it and need a new one) so the T430 should also unless your looking at the T430s which i dont think has ultra bay either and I need dual drives which is why I didnt look at the T420s when I was buying mine. I hope they get the new dock think where its a cable that they have on a few of their newer models, kinda.

I also dont plan on buying a new laptop until I can get a thinkpad with thunderbolt thats sub 15in and a higher than 1080p screen preferably IPS and thunderbolt GPU enclosures have launched.

Supposed pictures/specs of the X240 and X240T:

X240: http://www.hknotebook.com/nop/polyu-lenovo/pcs-info?pid=4

X240T: http://www.hknotebook.com/nop/polyu-lenovo/pcs-info?pid=19

I'm skeptical of it simply because: 1) It's not a Lenovo source, and 2) the different in X230T and X240T - for a convertible tablet, I'd expect a swivel screen instead of what's essentially an X1 Carbon Touch. It may be that Lenovo is going with that because of the Thinkpad Twist and Helix, but still.

T410 from the bush mansion reporting in!

I'm so much more productive with the sounds and sights of beautiful nature all around me, it's so good!

post-7162-0-53766500-1377204950.jpg

I thought that was a water drop... almost perfect circle.. that's some precision finger work.  Though judging from the buttons being in much better condition, I suspect it's from mashing the pad like a hard button when left-mouse-button clicking.

didnt think of that. Im a trackpoint man personally, concave in my favorite!

Any preferences?  :D  

IMG_0345.JPG

My Rigs (past and present)

I thought that was a water drop... almost perfect circle.. that's some precision finger work.  Though judging from the buttons being in much better condition, I suspect it's from mashing the pad like a hard button when left-mouse-button clicking.

IMG_0345.JPG

The middle ones is my preference :) 

#!

IMG_0345.JPG

i already said concave which is the left one. The middle one is the classic and im fine with it. I hate the one on the right but know why they basically have to use it on the newer keyboards like on the T430 and comparable age ones.

I've never actually had a Thinkpad but my friend had one and it was strong. It was on his bed, I sat on it by accident and it was fine.

I also dropped it several times and it also survived.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

The middle ones is my preference :)

AKA "cats tongue".  I still like them because they are so grippy but wear out easy.

have some in handy in case lenovo stops selling them haha (actually these are IBM ones... before lenovo came along... cost more than its weight in gold back then!)

IMG_3647.JPG

The one on the right is the one I like :) But I remember those middle ones... lol

I didn't like that one at first, but have gotten used to it.  It does last longer and easier to clean.  One thing for sure, don't buy the ones off ebay... they are close but not as grippy.

i already said concave which is the left one. The middle one is the classic and im fine with it. I hate the one on the right but know why they basically have to use it on the newer keyboards like on the T430 and comparable age ones.

I couldn't get used to the concave ones.  Cool thing is they are all the same size so it's still backwards compatible... hell, even dell uses the same size (probably had to pay royalty to IBM).

• 3 weeks later...

I´m so happy I didn´t wait for the W540 and got the W530:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w540/#techspecs

Looks like my first Thinkpad will also be my last Thinkpad....

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I´m so happy I didn´t wait for the W540 and got the W530:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w540/#techspecs

Looks like my first Thinkpad will also be my last Thinkpad....

You should have gotten the W520 that because you would have the better keyboard too. But why do you say that? Also if enough ThinkPad users dont like something and their sales got down especially to diehard users they well revise stuff next time around it happened before. Also what other brands still offer what you say this version of lacks? O also I dont mind the trackpad buttons not being separate being a trackpoint user but if the trackpoint ones are also not hardware button there are going to be some problems.

I know this wasnt rumored or anything but wheres my W440? 15in is just too big for me but i would really like the power.

You should have gotten the W520 that because you would have the better keyboard too. But why do you say that? Also if enough ThinkPad users dont like something and their sales got down especially to diehard users they well revise stuff next time around it happened before. Also what other brands still offer what you say this version of lacks? O also I dont mind the trackpad buttons not being separate being a trackpoint user but if the trackpoint ones are also not hardware button there are going to be some problems.

I know this wasnt rumored or anything but wheres my W440? 15in is just too big for me but i would really like the power.

I use a T520 at work and I like the 7 layers, but I also don´t mind the new keyboard keys, a combo would have been great, new keys with old layout.

And yes, your right, if enough people think the way we do they will have to move back to the old design which would be superb.

PS: im also a trackpoint user so i would realy miss the dedicated trackpoint buttons as i just turn the trackpad off. 

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

For some reason Thinkpad's don't do it for me.

I find them ugly. I get them as trade in's here and there but never really catch my interest. Probably have 10 or so sitting in my storage room.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I use a T520 at work and I like the 7 layers, but I also don´t mind the new keyboard keys, a combo would have been great, new keys with old layout.

And yes, your right, if enough people think the way we do they will have to move back to the old design which would be superb.

PS: im also a trackpoint user so i would realy miss the dedicated trackpoint buttons as i just turn the trackpad off. 

I like the old keys better personally and I use the new keyboard pretty regularly on my HTPC because I use the ThinkPad bluetooth keyboard with trackpoint on it which is a perfect fit. The only thing thing that would have been nice would have been a backlight but I understand why they did what they did from a power and battery life standpoint.

ThinkPads have enough of a following and enough businesses solely use that line so its very possible.

I find them ugly. I get them as trade in's here and there but never really catch my interest. Probably have 10 or so sitting in my storage room.

Their beautiful one of the epidermis of industrial design in my eyes. You have 10 sitting there? Have anything in good shape that is relatively new? I am looking for a smaller model, probably X series, for computer diagnosis, home network setup, and what ever else. Im looking for it so I can have a laptop that I can install whatever I need to use at the time on it and not be real worried about how it affect the performance of the system and what not like I am when I do that sort of thing on my daily driver. 

Posted on the Lenovo Facebook page:

1234061_10151729023054635_717445115_n.jp

Someone reeeeally loves Thinkpads. :lol:

Yea i saw that and he said they all work too. I dont see the need for that many though really... As I said i would mind another to do PC diagnosis though I think I found an alternative now. Pop a mSATA drive in my T420 and install win 7 as a separate  install from my win 8 and use that exclusively for that purpose.

He needs to add a 701c to that collection!

lenovo_thinkpad_701c_butterfly_keyboard.

He needs to add a 701c to that collection!

lenovo_thinkpad_701c_butterfly_keyboard.

Is that the one that had the "Butterfly Keyboard"?