Thinkpad Appreciation Thread

Is that the one that had the "Butterfly Keyboard"?

Yeah.  I had a chance to play with one, and it's pretty compact even by today's standard, and the keyboard .  Would be cool to be able to gut one of these and put a modern processor and screen in it.

My Rigs (past and present)

Yeah.  I had a chance to play with one, and it's pretty compact even by today's standard, and the keyboard .  Would be cool to be able to gut one of these and put a modern processor and screen in it.

my problem is that the keyboard doesnt seem that protercted

my problem is that the keyboard doesnt seem that protercted

? you mean like durable?

@ work:

W530 and T520 :P

What's that left of kb?

? you mean like durable?

What's that left of kb?

Siemens Simatice KTP600 Basic color DP, A Siemens ProfiNet HMI.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I'm rocking a pentium 3 thinkpad overhere under linux 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

? you mean like durable?

What's that left of kb?

well it sticks out doesnt it? I meant to say protected, was probably on my phone and didnt catch it sorry.

well it sticks out doesnt it? I meant to say protected, was probably on my phone and didnt catch it sorry.

True, but only when laptop is open but still sturdy like the lid.  It folds in when lid is closed.  The folding action and mechanical sound was pretty cool,  striking a sci-fi canopy opening sound in my mind every time :lol: .  Man, I'm starting to regret letting it get thrown out along with a along with a bunch other old thinkpads.

o sounds pretty cool.

True, but only when laptop is open but still sturdy like the lid. It folds in when lid is closed. The folding action and mechanical sound was pretty cool, striking a sci-fi canopy opening sound in my mind every time :lol: . Man, I'm starting to regret letting it get thrown out along with a along with a bunch other old thinkpads.

My recently acquired X201. All hail 16:10! I've fiddled around with it, cutting vent holes to deal with the Arrendale's heat in the bottom and adding an SSD. Only thing that would make this better is Haswell IMO. (Will update with pictures soon.)

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

• 2 months later...

I no longer support Lenovo as there support service is basically scamming me into paying for a new motherboard because of a faulty soldering job on their end.

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I recently had my motherboard and a few other parts swapped under warranty and had it back in days.

I no longer support Lenovo as there support service is basically scamming me into paying for a new motherboard because of a faulty soldering job on their end.

Damn, that is pitiful, I'm sure if you keep at it, they'll have to replace it under their warranty. In your country do you have a consumer act? In New Zealand even if something is out of it's warranty period, and it breaks within an unreasonable time due to a manufacturing fault, or basically anything really) Then the retailer is obliged to replace, repair or re-reimburse you the full amount. Not many people do this, and just end up buying a new device, it's an annoying process to go through but if your $3000 workstation thinkpad breaks within a time you don't think is reasonable then why shouldn't you get it replaced/repaired for free, y'know?

#!

Damn, that is pitiful, I'm sure if you keep at it, they'll have to replace it under their warranty. In your country do you have a consumer act? In New Zealand even if something is out of it's warranty period, and it breaks within an unreasonable time due to a manufacturing fault, or basically anything really) Then the retailer is obliged to replace, repair or re-reimburse you the full amount. Not many people do this, and just end up buying a new device, it's an annoying process to go through but if your $3000 workstation thinkpad breaks within a time you don't think is reasonable then why shouldn't you get it replaced/repaired for free, y'know?

Was rated as user damage twice, once by lenovo NL / UK and once by lenovo EMEA.

Was rated as user damage twice, once by lenovo NL / UK and once by lenovo EMEA.

That sucks.

Sounds similar to instances where there are little smudges left on motherboard (looked like somebody used too much flux) and it was cited at liquid damage.    

After months of waiting for the X240, which sadly didn't launch with the options I wanted, I went for the X230. Ordered with 9-cell and slice battery. Bought RAM and SSD separately. All of it should arrive before new year's.

Who knows, maybe 5 years from now when I'm finally ready to replace it, Lenovo will return to their core design or come up with a far better compromise.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

After months of waiting for the X240, which sadly didn't launch with the options I wanted, I went for the X230. Ordered with 9-cell and slice battery. Bought RAM and SSD separately. All of it should arrive before new year's.

Who knows, maybe 5 years from now when I'm finally ready to replace it, Lenovo will return to their core design or come up with a far better compromise.

Not waiting for a Thinkpad X3?   :D

Thinkpad X1 Carbon but Lighter, Haswell, IPS 2560x1440 screen.... http://www.slashgear.com/lenovo-thinkpad-x3-leak-tips-4th-gen-core-i3-i7-cpu-and-qhd-screen-23302722/

Not waiting for a Thinkpad X3? :D

Thinkpad X1 Carbon but Lighter, Haswell, IPS 2560x1440 screen.... http://www.slashgear.com/lenovo-thinkpad-x3-leak-tips-4th-gen-core-i3-i7-cpu-and-qhd-screen-23302722/

Tempting, but couldn't afford to wait long as my 5 year old laptop decided to crap out on me. Needed one before January :(

I'll buy a bunch of Thinkpads when I'm richer. xD

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I think I found the upgrade from my current thinkpad, hngggh. I wonder what the prices are going to be.

I was checking current model prices, and the X1 carbon touch price has already gone down to $1K.  I'm hoping the price will be competitive.  It might be my upgrade too (though the touch version... as much as I like high resolution)

• 1 month later...

I was checking current model prices, and the X1 carbon touch price has already gone down to $1K.  I'm hoping the price will be competitive.  It might be my upgrade too (though the touch version... as much as I like high resolution)

Did you end up getting that carbon?

#!

;Has anyone else with a thinkpad tried popping one of these in http://goo.gl/Gu73WX ? I have a T420 with a 6300 currently and have heard mixed results about getting one to work.

Something about people raving about a sturdy, well built laptop just attracts me to this thread, makes me all fuzzy inside. I love it when people like well built products.

;Has anyone else with a thinkpad tried popping one of these in http://goo.gl/Gu73WX ? I have a T420 with a 6300 currently and have heard mixed results about getting one to work.

Be warned: Thinkpads have a specific set of FRUs (field replacement units) whitelisted in the BIOS. Not every Wifi card will work. Ran into that issue with a similar wireless card. 

Ebay is a good place to look for wifi cards that are whitelisted. 

The other way around it is a custom BIOS, which is risky. Or modify the PCI-ID of the wifi card, which is less risky. b