Radeon 390X or Nvidia GTX 970

Coolstrybro

gtx 970, 390x is a rebranded 290x with 8gb memory for 420 USD

It's really unknown, I would just compare it to a 290x+10%.

I would say for anyone choosing between the two, just get the brand you like more.

Edit: it also depends on the resolution and games, AMD performs really sucky in games like TF2/CSGO and World of warcraft.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Wait, but it should be slightly better but the price difference between the two...

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

don't wait

It was only a matter of time

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Well since the R9 390X is just a re-brand with 8GB of RAM.  And them their for 4GB extra will be useful.

It's really unknown, I would just compare it to a 290x+10%.

I would say for anyone choosing between the two, just get the brand you like more.

Edit: it also depends on the resolution and games, AMD performs really sucky in games like TF2/CSGO and World of warcraft.

Depends, Xfire screws with fps in those games,

I got constant 300+ fps in cs:go with my R9 290 and TF2 ran fine 

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

I own a GTX 970 right now but I could still return it to best buy and buy there 390 butttt you all are probably right =D

Depends, Xfire screws with fps in those games,

I got constant 300+ fps in cs:go with my R9 290 and TF2 ran fine 

Well by sucky I mean an AMD card would perform the same as an nvidia card that's 1 tier below it, will is still fine for TF2 of course.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Looks like the 390x will be priced similarly to the 970 when it comes out, and some reports show it's performance being nearly the same as the 980. Wait until it comes out, AMDs new lineup looks amazing

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

The 390x looks promising based on specs and the one legitimate firestrike benchmarks I've seen.

Whether it's a better buy than a 970 depends on gaming benchmarks, tdp, and prices.

It will definitely be more future proof than a 970.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

The 390x looks promising based on specs and the one legitimate firestrike benchmarks I've seen.

Whether it's a better buy than a 970 depends on gaming benchmarks, tdp, and prices.

It will definitely be more future proof than a 970.

This , just wait a couple of days for benchmarks to come out and then you can decide.

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10