Linux gaming issues, fixes, and sugggestions

Hey guys! I'm somewhat new to the forums here, and just as new to gaming on Linux.

For reference, I am running Ubuntu 15.04. I am short on money for a a proper OS like Windows, so Linux will have to do for now.

I am trying to run native Windows games on Linux, and I'm having trouble with how to go about that. I know about WINE and playonlinux, but I'm still hitting my head against the wall when I can't exit out of Skyrim without freezing, or when I just straight up can't run games.

That being said, I just wanted to know what you Linux masterminds have managed to figure out in terms of what programs and Linux OS's work best for your gaming rig. Thanks!

Bonus/optional question: what programs do you use to benchmark your Linux Machine?

Hey guys! I'm somewhat new to the forums here, and just as new to gaming on Linux.

For reference, I am running Ubuntu 15.04. I am short on money for a a proper OS like Windows, so Linux will have to do for now.

I am trying to run native Windows games on Linux, and I'm having trouble with how to go about that. I know about WINE and playonlinux, but I'm still hitting my head against the wall when I can't exit out of Skyrim without freezing, or when I just straight up can't run games.

That being said, I just wanted to know what you Linux masterminds have managed to figure out in terms of what programs and Linux OS's work best for your gaming rig. Thanks!

Bonus/optional question: what programs do you use to benchmark your Linux Machine?

well alot of thoes programs make it so you can run the game they dont run 100% like they do on windows they have alot more glitches and issues and you dont can anything about that other then getting windows

or do what i do install the windows 8.1 90 day trial after 90 days rearm it so it works for another 90 days then reinstall it after that

General tip:

Try play games that are nativly supported.. Oh and go Nvidia GPU's, AMD has unbelievably bad drivers for linux..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Unfortunately wine (playonlinux is just a nice graphical interface for wine) is the only real solution. Some games will work just fine, others will get glitches and others won't work. Going into linux gaming expecting all your windows library to work flawlessly is not possible. However, there are a decent number of games that have native linux versions and should work just fine without fiddling.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't know. I would say VirtualBox, but since you can't afford a proper OS...

PlayOnLinux has preset games that are guaranteed to mostly work so if your game is not listed there it probably is not worth the hassle of working wine manually. Any Linux distrobution will work for gaming, although Ubuntu based systems seem to have the most compatibility with Steam. (I also recommend installing steam through the terminal vs the Ubuntu software center)

Lord of Helium.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll have the money to shell out for a windows OS somewhat soon, so Linux is just a temporary 60 day fix.

well alot of thoes programs make it so you can run the game they dont run 100% like they do on windows they have alot more glitches and issues and you dont can anything about that other then getting windows

or do what i do install the windows 8.1 90 day trial after 90 days rearm it so it works for another 90 days then reinstall it after that

This is extremely helpful, I'll have to try this when I get home. Thanks!

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll have the money to shell out for a windows OS somewhat soon, so Linux is just a temporary 60 day fix.

True as that may be, just try to enjoy the experience. You might even start to like it after a while and decide to dual-boot. That said, Ubuntu is too much of a one-size-fits-all deal for me. Kubuntu suits me much better. Also, Linux is a "proper" OS. It's different, but it's just as complete as Windows. DirectX being exclusive to Windows has made games a predominantly Windows thing but most of the other stuff you can do just as well if not better on other platforms.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

There are some VERY cheap licences going on reddit and the like..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

• 2 weeks later...

True as that may be, just try to enjoy the experience. You might even start to like it after a while and decide to dual-boot. That said, Ubuntu is too much of a one-size-fits-all deal for me. Kubuntu suits me much better. Also, Linux is a "proper" OS. It's different, but it's just as complete as Windows. DirectX being exclusive to Windows has made games a predominantly Windows thing but most of the other stuff you can do just as well if not better on other platforms.

I did enjoy Linux as an OS, but like you said it isn't really optimized for gaming yet. I almost considered a dual boot, but I don't really have a use for more than one OS as of yet. However I did really like using the terminal to download things.

And by "proper OS", I suppose I meant more support for DirectX and gaming.

Just a tip, https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/has some great deals on windows if you are low on money

What makes them so cheap? Seems a little sketchy to me...

EDIT: Never mind, I read into it a little bit. They are legit. They are copies bought in bulk and resold at the discounted price.