So this whole "mobile gaming will take over consoles" thing

GaS

So there are some people saying that mobile gaming will eventually take over console gaming. Personally, I doubt that. Yes it's true that mobile games are getting better and better and the technology of smartphones is advancing very fast but for these, at least 7 years mobile gaming has no chance to take over PS4 and Xbox One. But I could very well see mobile gaming take over handhelds. I think in a few years mobile gaming will take over handhelds but no chance of taking over the big boys.

Just my 2 cents.

That won't happen, phones don't have the power to run battlefield 4 and such. Unless you want a phone that's actually a bitfenix prodigy..

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

That won't happen, phones don't have the power to run battlefield 4 and such. Unless you want a phone that's actually a bitfenix prodigy..

Cloud gaming. Look at Nvidia Shield.

Cloud gaming. Look at Nvidia Shield.

I totally forgot about cloud gaming. Then it's definitely a possibility  

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Guys you know that when this happens a laptop will have the power of a desktop and we are getting a lot closer to that with this new generation of processors from Intel and Nvidia.

Tablets will come close with APUs. At least for less demanding games

Options that could enable us to play full scale games on handheld devices in this decade:

-Graphene. Could take 5 or more years to come to make it into our processors. Along with other 2D materials and derivates.

-Euclideon Unlimited Detail engine. As soon as next gen ( all platforms, including handhelds ).

Search algo is done, now all it takes to make game engine and SDK. Lets hope it succeeds.

Based on what I'm seeing now, that's impossible. This is due purely to size limitations. However, it may be possible in the next 10 years or so.

But if it does happen, I refuse to think console manufacturers would sit around and let that happen.

Based on what I'm seeing now, that's impossible. This is due purely to size limitations. However, it may be possible in the next 10 years or so.

But if it does happen, I refuse to think console manufacturers would sit around and let that happen.

console manufacturers will sit around and let it happen :) 

it will benefit them too. smaller computers, better performance, better control ( gamepad > handhelds ), better accesibility. Console market will shrink, but i doubt it will dissapear.

It might, but I don't think it will be the same experience.

I'm thinking we'll get to the point where we can get super powerful systems inside something like a phone and we'd just stick that into a dock that's a desktop. Then there would be cafe's with these docks and everyone can carry their personal computer in their pockets.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm thinking we'll get to the point where we can get super powerful systems inside something like a phone and we'd just stick that into a dock that's a desktop. Then there would be cafe's with these docks and everyone can carry their personal computer in their pockets.

That would be pretty cool. That is kind of happening with the Ubuntu Edge.

Mobile gaming controls suck. They'll never get rid of proper consoles atleast not in my lifetime. Touchscreens don't work with gaming and cloud and nvidia shield are doomed to flop