System for Folding@Home

So a friend of mine is going to help get me into Folding@Home seeing I need to put some of my computers to use probably... Anyways I was thing about using my Core 2 Quad Q6600 system. I just wanted to know what you guys would recommend for the amount of RAM (I can do up to 8gb) and other factors I should consider (Other than cooling, I've got that under control in a way...)

Thanks and hope to soon join the ltt team in the near future!

Also does a wireless connection affect anything until I can get some more cat6 cables?

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

So a friend of mine is going to help get me into Folding@Home seeing I need to put some of my computers to use probably... Anyways I was thing about using my Core 2 Quad Q6600 system. I just wanted to know what you guys would recommend for the amount of RAM (I can do up to 8gb) and other factors I should consider (Other than cooling, I've got that under control in a way...)

Thanks and hope to soon join the ltt team in the near future!

4GB of RAM would be plenty. However that CPU isn't exactly the best or fastest when it comes to folding. And if using a graphics card to fold 2 cores need to be reserved per card.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4GB of RAM would be plenty. However that CPU isn't exactly the best or fastest when it comes to folding. And if using a graphics card to fold 2 cores need to be reserved per card.

Would you recommend a gpu and if so what's the lowest you would recommend in this case?

Would you recommend a gpu and if so what's the lowest you would recommend in this case?

Folding on any graphics card counts, but something such as the GTX 650ti is quite slow, so pretty much I'd say the 650ti is the minimum.

PMSL

Alternatively, you can just join one of BOINC's many CPU projects, and never have to worry about adding a GPU (it can still be done, though).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Alright, so I guess i'll just use my Core 2 Quad and 4gb of RAM for now until I upgrade my main system, then I will switch to my FX 6300 and use my 650 ti possibly also. Time to start setting up the system and I will update this thread as I do so, thanks for the help and any more feedback is well appreciated :) 

So I have both my main system and now F@H system running F@H under the LTT team and the username SheldeniHardware. My main F@H system is going to be running 24/7 at full load and has the Core 2 Quad Q6600 at stock 2.4GHz and 4GB of 1066 DDR2 RAM. Here is a horrible picture of the CRT and the system itself.

fAcwJ9e.jpg MHfXX9r.jpg 

So far thermals are doing well and I might add an extra fan in the fututre.

For my main system I will be running F@H at Medium Usage (or High whenever I'm not using the system)

cfliYik.jpg

Thanks for the help and I hope me contributing helps even if its just the slightest :)

So I have both my main system and now F@H system running F@H under the LTT team and the username SheldeniHardware. My main F@H system is going to be running 24/7 at full load and has the Core 2 Quad Q6600 at stock 2.4GHz and 4GB of 1066 DDR2 RAM. Here is a horrible picture of the CRT and the system itself.

MHfXX9r.jpg

So far thermals are doing well and I might add an extra fan in the fututre.

For my main system I will be running F@H at Medium Usage (or High whenever I'm not using the system)

Thanks for the help and I hope me contributing helps even if its just the slightest :)

I want that case soooo bad.....my white metal box has rust spots all over it. Its got the Microsoft Windows styling on the front however.

PMSL

I want that case soooo bad.....my white metal box has rust spots all over it. Its got the Microsoft Windows styling on the front however.

The case goes for under 30 U.S. On Amazon and eBay from the same seller, I believe you live in Australia though so I have no idea how much it would be, I saw it on gumtree once thought:)

The case goes for under 30 U.S. On Amazon and eBay from the same seller, I believe you live in Australia though so I have no idea how much it would be, I saw it on gumtree once thought:)

They still make them? Looking at it I thought it was from the 90's early 2000's - the 2002/2003 case that I got with my P5K motherboard looks newer.

PMSL

They still make them? Looking at it I thought it was from the 90's early 2000's - the 2002/2003 case that I got with my P5K motherboard looks newer.

Yep, it was brand new! InWin V500

Yep, it was brand new! InWin V500

I'll look around for one then, maybe I could finally get rid of the case that came with my dead MSI motherboard (which had a Celeron 500 of all things installed-and also fits an ATX motherboard and my GTX 970 G1 Gaming despite being extremely small).

PMSL

terrible cooling, why would you want it? in terms of performance, it stinks.

terrible cooling, why would you want it? in terms of performance, it stinks.

Performance isn't everything. And with my case from 2002-2003, 3x high airflow 80mm ceramic bearing fans, 1x 80mm exhaust (ceramic bearing) fan and the PSU venting a little bit of heat. The airflow is more than enough for my GTX 970 and i5 4440 (arctic freezer pro 7 rev 2 cooler).

PMSL

8 hours? Horry sheeit. Time to buy a used GPU on eBay like a HD 7950 for $99. It can do these small web units in like a few minutes.  :P

That's 8 hours for the CPU-and pretty much normal for it too.

PMSL

8 hours? Horry sheeit. Time to buy a used GPU on eBay like a HD 7950 for $99. It can do these small web units in like a few minutes.  :P

Ya I'm going to pick up a 9800 gtx+ from a friend and use that till I get a new gpu for my main system then I will throw the 650ti in there. The i3 is doing it in around 5hours on a similar load.

That's 8 hours for the CPU-and pretty much normal for it too.

It's still slow as all bawls. It takes about 12 minutes for my 6800k + HD 5870 and that's using 100% CPU and only 12% of my GPU (at idle clocks). CPU bound is just not the way to go, you can drop in a cheap HD 4350 for like $10 used and it will crunch these small units in less than an hour.

AUMJSPY.png

Unless he's running the actual client (it appears so) which personally he should switch to the web client as it crunches much smaller units.

It's still slow as all bawls. It takes about 12 minutes for my 6800k + HD 5870 and that's using 100% CPU and only 12% of my GPU (at idle clocks). CPU bound is just not the way to go, you can drop in a cheap HD 4350 for like $10 used and it will crunch these small units in less than an hour.

AUMJSPY.png

Unless he's running the actual client (it appears so) which personally he should switch to the web client as it crunches much smaller units.

I shall do that then :D

@Opcode

So when I pick up a gpu should I run the web client still or desktop client?

@Opcode

So when I pick up a gpu should I run the web client still or desktop client?

That's all up to you, the web client crunches small units to get then done faster but the actual client crunches bigger ones that really put a load on your hardware. If you want to maximize your hardware and push it to its peak potential then run the actual client.

So here are the 2 systems running as of right now, the one one the left is the Core 2 Quad and the one on the left is the Athlon x2. I plan on getting an Athlon x4 to replace the dual-core next week. Neither have gpus but I might be getting some at the same time I get the Athlon x4 (all depends on $) anyways here are some pictures of my folding farm in the basement (laptop is on another shelf and I need to get a new psu for it till I can use it agian)

XWZyXfp.jpg

2dzfxkY.jpg

3kv7t7u.jpg