A little help with this rig, please

Hi there.

I'm planning a rig that will be used mostly for gaiming, but also for some video rendering and CAD. The "core" of this rig are:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 980ti
RAM: Kingston Beast 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5

(Going with Gigabyte stuff, as they're the ones who offer better warranty in my country)

Now, trouble is I'm limited not at all by budget, but by power consumption. The max I think I can aim for is ~650W. With this in mind, I won't be doing SLI, and the PSU option is quite obvious.

PSU: Cooler Master V650 Semi-modular

Questions are:

1. Do I have any room for overclocking?
2. If yes, will the PSU also be able to power a custom water loop too?
3. I'll try to be clear here, and this how I undertand it works: just installing the RAM will downclock (and downvolt, I guess) it to 1600MHz, so it must be configured. As I understand, to fully use the 2400MHz the sticks have to be set at 1.65V, which translates to more power consumption, and I have read the 1.65V exceeds Intel's standards. So, will I have to increase V in the processor for it to work? Considering the "limited" PSU, is the RAM I chose wothy or should I go for 1600MHz RAM?

Sorry for the text wall, and thanks for taking your time to read it smile.gif  .

Go for 1866mh memory, I bet that ram is insanely expensive. Also why 32gbs? 16gbs is plenty for watching YouTube, gaming, and having another 15 tabs open.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Hi there.

I'm planning a rig that will be used mostly for gaiming, but also for some video rendering and CAD. The "core" of this rig are:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 980ti

RAM: Kingston Beast 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5

(Going with Gigabyte stuff, as they're the ones who offer better warranty in my country)

Now, trouble is I'm limited not at all by budget, but by power consumption. The max I think I can aim for is ~650W. With this in mind, I won't be doing SLI, and the PSU option is quite obvious.

PSU: Cooler Master V650 Semi-modular

Questions are:

1. Do I have any room for overclocking?

2. If yes, will the PSU also be able to power a custom water loop too?

3. I'll try to be clear here, and this how I undertand it works: just installing the RAM will downclock (and downvolt, I guess) it to 1600MHz, so it must be configured. As I understand, to fully use the 2400MHz the sticks have to be set at 1.65V, which translates to more power consumption, and I have read the 1.65V exceeds Intel's standards. So, will I have to increase V in the processor for it to work? Considering the "limited" PSU, is the RAM I chose wothy or should I go for 1600MHz RAM?

Sorry for the text wall, and thanks for taking your time to read it smile.gif  .

On full load it won't even consume more than 500 watts. So there is definitly enough room for overclocking and water cooling.

Why are you limited to 650W?

Pick an XMP profile for memory in the BIOS. No need to play around with the setting as XMP is an Intel certified set of values for memory operation with their cpu.

32GB of memory seems excessive for a system that will be used mostly for gaming.

+1 @Senzelian

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Why are you limited to 650W?

Because energy here in my country is kinda expensive, so 750+W will rise my bill to the skies. As for the RAM, I won't be buying the 4 sticks at once, just 2... If 16 gb are more than enough, then I'll stick with them. 

Because energy here in my country is kinda expensive, so 750+W will rise my bill to the skies. As for the RAM, I won't be buying the 4 sticks at once, just 2... If 16 gb are more than enough, then I'll stick with them. 

PSU power consumption does not increase because of unit capacity. The PSU will only draw the amount demanded by the system. With any given system configuration an 850W 80+ Gold psu will use roughly the same amount of power as a 650W 80+ Gold unit.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Oh, I'm aware of that... But I rather know I'm a bit power limited so I don't even think of SLI or something crazy, hehe.