Arctic Silver 5 Worse Than Previous Pre-applied?

Hi. Recently, I have gotten a new Noctua fan for my Kraken x31, as well as some Arctic Silver 5. I applied it to my 4690k using the line method after a fricken ass load of fidgeting with the radiator, and I plugged the computer back in moments later. I turned it on, and watched the temperature. I noticed the idle was around 30C, usual, but while playing War Thunder it was nearly 20 degrees hotter. Usually I play around 50, but after applying the pate it was approximately 70.

Should this be happening? I cleaned the previous, pre-applied paste with 70% and some paper towels, then went back with a fiber wipe thingie and cleaned it off, removed dust, prints, etc. I still have a few g left I guess, it didn't seem like I used even half the 3.5g but I have no idea. Thanks for the help.

did you put a small pea size of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't mean to give you a "one size fits all" answer, but when I replaced my thermal paste recently, it took a day or two to "break in" the paste, and thus making a notable difference. I'd say give it a day or two, and then look at your temps. Maybe write down your min / max temps now, and then tomorrow, and see if it is outside the margin of error?

Also, be very careful because Arctic Silver has metal in it, and if it overflows onto the motherboard it can short it out. Enderman's method worked perfect for me when I built my rig.

I don't mean to give you a "one size fits all" answer, but when I replaced my thermal paste recently, it took a day or two to "break in" the paste, and thus making a notable difference. I'd say give it a day or two, and then look at your temps. Maybe write down your min / max temps now, and then tomorrow, and see if it is outside the margin of error?

I saw that somewhere else, I'll try and see what happens.

Sorry for the "spam". I just want to provide the most amount of information that I can remember to you. Also, when you put on the block, you CANNOT move it when you are installing it. Put even pressure on it until it is installed all the way and don't lift it. Install the block with lightly tightened corners first, then the other two. Then tighten them finger tight all the way.

Sorry for the "spam". I just want to provide the most amount of information that I can remember to you. Also, when you put on the block, you CANNOT move it when you are installing it. Put even pressure on it until it is installed all the way and don't lift it. Install the block with lightly tightened corners first, then the other two. Then tighten them finger tight all the way.

Oops. I might have to re-do it :S

No, I put a line, the line method.

you probably put too much then

20C is far too much to be normal

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi. Recently, I have gotten a new Noctua fan for my Kraken x31, as well as some Arctic Silver 5. I applied it to my 4690k using the line method after a fricken ass load of fidgeting with the radiator, and I plugged the computer back in moments later. I turned it on, and watched the temperature. I noticed the idle was around 30C, usual, but while playing War Thunder it was nearly 20 degrees hotter. Usually I play around 50, but after applying the pate it was approximately 70.

Should this be happening? I cleaned the previous, pre-applied paste with 70% and some paper towels, then went back with a fiber wipe thingie and cleaned it off, removed dust, prints, etc. I still have a few g left I guess, it didn't seem like I used even half the 3.5g but I have no idea. Thanks for the help.

Is the cooler mounted correctly? Because with the last of my arctic silver which has been transferred from heatsink to heatsink and then finally my water block  I have my i5 4440 capable of idling at ambient temperatures (20oC ambient, and the lowest recorded temp was 20oC, with average idle temps being between 23-25 degrees. This is using a 120mm thin rad without delidding BTW)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Is the cooler mounted correctly? Because with the last of my arctic silver which has been transferred from heatsink to heatsink and then finally my water block  I have my i5 4440 capable of idling at ambient temperatures (20oC ambient, and the lowest recorded temp was 20oC, with average idle temps being between 23-25 degrees. This is using a 120mm thin rad without delidding BTW)

Yeah, I think so. It's mounted the way it was before I put it on. Except one side screw is a little bit loose, but the water block bit can't go further or lift up at all.

Rice sized line, or edge to edge?

My guess is bad mount, bad Kraken, or it hasn't quite spread itself out yet.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Yeah, I think so. It's mounted the way it was before I put it on. Except one side screw is a little bit loose, but the water block bit can't go further or lift up at all.

You need even pressure so make sure that the screws are tight. I had the waterblock on my Xeon at one point and it had high temps (and even overheated to the point of shutdown) until I tightened a screw that was loose.

Edit: I couldn't pull the cooler up either BTW

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Also, be very careful because Arctic Silver has metal in it, and if it overflows onto the motherboard it can short it out. Enderman's method worked perfect for me when I built my rig.

Not it can't. It's not conductive.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

AS5 is not the best TIM to be using for a variety of reasons, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was worse than the pre-applied TIM that comes with the X31. Also, might be using too much which would account for the higher ΔC.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

How would too much affect it?

it can create a thick layer in between the CPU and cooler reducing the effectiveness

also it can spill over the sides which would make a mess

but when you put the cooler on the thermal paste you cant lift it again or youre guaranteed to get bubbles

Spoiler

Rice sized line, or edge to edge?

My guess is bad mount, bad Kraken, or it hasn't quite spread itself out yet.

Today alone, I replaced a total of six applications of thermal paste. I did a line in the center, vertically. Seemed to do the trick.