Anti-Static-Stuff

Hi,

I've never build a pc, but am planning to do so at some point. At the stat of build guides, Linus or slick always comment on his anti-static workstation, but is that all really necessary? MUST i have an anti static mat, or is it OK just to have a wrist strap? I know you attach it to your wrist, but where do you attach the other end? Please help me, I'm confused!

I've never used either. I never destroyed any computer component - damage is another story. I could've inflicted damage in some way. In regards to the wrist strap, you should have an alligator clip. You can attach that directly to the power supply, a metal table leg, the case, and also the ground socket on an outlet.

If you suffer from dry skin, make sure it's moisturized or the wrist strap won't work.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hi,

I've never build a pc, but am planning to do so at some point. At the stat of build guides, Linus or slick always comment on his anti-static workstation, but is that all really necessary? MUST i have an anti static mat, or is it OK just to have a wrist strap? I know you attach it to your wrist, but where do you attach the other end? Please help me, I'm confused!

You just need to ground yourself regularly, I have used a extension cord going to my foot and have a metal rod get stuck into one of the grounding holes, and have that touch my leg and it works, or you could touch something metal every once in a while. Avoid carpet, and just use the top of the motherboard box as a test bench.

I was worried as f*ck about the static electricity when building my first PC. I never grounded my self or anything and everything seems to work just fine. Just dont build your PC on the carpet while wearing socks. Occasionaly touch your room radiator to discharge if you are worried.

I was worried as f*ck about the static electricity when building my first PC. I never grounded my self or anything and everything seems to work just fine. Just dont build your PC on the carpet while wearing socks. Occasionaly touch your room radiator to discharge if you are worried.

Houses/apartments that have central air have no radiators.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You just need to ground yourself regularly, I have used a extension cord going to my foot and have a metal rod get stuck into one of the grounding holes, and have that touch my leg and it works, or you could touch something metal every once in a while. Avoid carpet, and just use the top of the motherboard box as a test bench.

You just need to touch your case.. You can have wild kinky sex on a carpet and you'll still be fine if you touch the case.

I likely will build on carpet next to a radiator, and I like wearing socks. I already have an old anti static strap lying around, so should I just put it on my ankle and attach it to the radiator?