RJ12/45 questions

Hi all,

I'll be moving house in the next few days and want to have the router in a different part of the house to the phone jack.  I don't really want a new phone jack installed as it is quite expensive.

I have a couple of questions;

Is there a way to use an RJ45 cable for the DSL connection or does it have to be RJ12.

If not is there anywhere I can get a decent sized (50 metre) RJ12 cable.

Or is there another option.  (Don't want powerline either as it crosses circuits in the house)

Cheers.

"Since the Internet is almost diametrically opposed to the notion of Quality Control, in recent years it's been a lot easier to just assume everything's s**t until it can prove itself otherwise".  Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (2008)

Hi all,

I'll be moving house in the next few days and want to have the router in a different part of the house to the phone jack.  I don't really want a new phone jack installed as it is quite expensive.

Is there a way to use an RJ45 cable for the DSL connection or does it have to be RJ12.

Or is there another option.  (Don't want powerline either as it crosses circuits in the house)

Cheers.

Hi,  You can just get 50M of CAT5e and crimp RJ12 connectors on to it.

Hi,  You can just get 50M of CAT5e and crimp RJ12 connectors on to it.

Oh cool thanks man.

So there is no difference between the cable at all?

"Since the Internet is almost diametrically opposed to the notion of Quality Control, in recent years it's been a lot easier to just assume everything's s**t until it can prove itself otherwise".  Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (2008)

Hi all,

Cheers.

Most new homes theses days they disregard telephone line and use CAT 5e cable and RJ45 connectors that are backwards compatible with RJ12 since the cost is basically the same. AS said you can use any CAT5e cable and it will work just fine as long as you can adapt it.

Most new homes theses days they disregard telephone line and use CAT 5e cable and RJ45 connectors that are backwards compatible with RJ12 since the cost is basically the same. AS said you can use any CAT5e cable and it will work just fine as long as you can adapt it.

It is a fairly old house and has a wallplate RJ12 connector if i'm not mistaken.  Cool thanks for clearing that up.

i have an rj11 to rj45 cable, the rj45 part in the wall socket and the rj11 in the modem, if i was to get an jr11 to rj11 the cable would be flat and non twisted meaning it picks up interference easier, my rj11 to rj45 is twisted cable (cat 5e) and is a lot less prone to interference.  

not to mention it adds a whole extra 4mbps to my downstream even though im connected at the max my isp does for vdsl, its nice because my noise margins are better.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Oh cool thanks man.

So there is no difference between the cable at all?

Yea, phone has only 4 wires while Ethernet has 8. Ethernet cable is also shielded, has 4 twisted pairs and has a much higher throughput.