30mm thick radiator VS 45mm

Go to solution Solved by M-ursu,

I have phantom 820, and i have alphacool xt45 rad in push, that is lax you can fit, to bottom you can fit alphacool 280 monsta rad.

Thick radiator is always better.

Hey guys

I'm planning to watercool my PC and I'm going to buy a new case to do that. At the moment I'm looking at the NZXT Phantom 820, as I am a little NZXT Phantom fanboy and I loved the original Phantom. 

In the top above the mainboard is enough space to fit a 360mm radiator in there. I looked at the  Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 360mm which is a rather thick radiator with a height of 

46mm. I'm now afraid that I won't be able to put my motherboard in there, when there are fans (thought of Silverstones Airpenetrators 120mm) on the rad aswell, due to the extra thickness of the radiator.

I could exchange it to a 30mm thick rad like the Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm. 

1) Is there a big cooling improvement with a thicker radiator? 

2) Is it a good idea to put the fans on the inside of the radiator? I'm not quite sure if there is enough space "outside" the case/under the top-cover although the Phantom 820 is quite a big case

I thank you for all your answers

I have phantom 820, and i have alphacool xt45 rad in push, that is lax you can fit, to bottom you can fit alphacool 280 monsta rad.

Thick radiator is always better.