How Many Watts You Actually Need for SLI

So you're thinking about going SLI in your system, you Google how many watts your power supply should be for SLI.

The basic responses: "No less than 850 watts" "At least 900 watts" "Thousand watts if you're overclocking"

Why do so many people believe you need this much power? How much you really need is a power supply that is 50 watts or more than your system pulls while under load. The way you find this out is Google: "**insert graphics card name here** power consumption". There you can see how much power your computer will truly need.

I currently have:

I5-4690k overclocked to 4.5GHZ.

Noctua NH-D14

5 other case fans

One SSD and one Hard Drive

TWO GTX 780's in SLI. Overclocked 100MHZ. Both the Gigabyte Windforce x3 Rev 2.0's

How large of a power supply people said I would need: 900 watts or more.

How large my power supply is: 600 Watt. Be Quiet! Power Zone PSU.

My power consumption has never gone over 478 watts under stress tests. My living computer is living proof that you don't need huge power supplies for SLI. At least for two way. Now AMD cards take more power I understand that, which is why I said look at power consumption charts for your specific GPU's. Bottom line is don't waste money on a huge power supply and have it being half utilized.

i5-4690k @ 4.5ghz ---- Dual Gigabyte Gtx 780 OC Rev2.0's SLI ---- Noctua NH-D14 ---- Triple 1080p Surround

What stress tests? If you used Furmark for the GPUs, NVIDIA cards throttle back and reduce power draw. Did you stress the CPU at the same time?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm not surprised it's  that low on a 4790K but yea.. most people go WAY over the needs (as long as it's good quality) 600 - 700 is plenty to keep the stress and heat low.

For reference, this is drawn from the wall so actual output from PSU to components is a little lower

On a i7 4930k @ 4.7 with 16GB 2133, and 2 480 GB Kingston HyperX

Methodology:

"For this test we hooked up our power supply to a UPM power meter that will log the power consumption of the whole system twice every second. In order to stress the GPU as much as possible we used 15 minutes of Unigine Valley running on a loop while letting the card sit at a stable Windows desktop for 15 minutes to determine the peak idle power consumption. 

Please note that after extensive testing, we have found that simply plugging in a power meter to a wall outlet or UPS will NOT give you accurate power consumption numbers due to slight changes in the input voltage. Thus we use a Tripp-Lite 1800W line conditioner between the 120V outlet and the power meter. "

GTX-980-SLI-76.jpg

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

People always overestimate GPU power draw, I got a 900W PSU with the thinking of going dual R9 290s later on, and now I realise I'd be able to do the same with the upcoming Fury XT from AMD.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

So you're thinking about going SLI in your system, you Google how many watts your power supply should be for SLI.

The basic responses: "No less than 850 watts" "At least 900 watts" "Thousand watts if you're overclocking"

Why do so many people believe you need this much power? How much you really need is a power supply that is 50 watts or more than your system pulls while under load. The way you find this out is Google: "**insert graphics card name here** power consumption". There you can see how much power your computer will truly need.

I currently have:

I5-4690k overclocked to 4.5GHZ.

Noctua NH-D14

5 other case fans

One SSD and one Hard Drive

TWO GTX 780's in SLI. Overclocked 100MHZ. Both the Gigabyte Windforce x3 Rev 2.0's

How large of a power supply people said I would need: 900 watts or more.

How large my power supply is: 600 Watt. Be Quiet! Power Zone PSU.

My power consumption has never gone over 478 watts under stress tests. My living computer is living proof that you don't need huge power supplies for SLI. At least for two way. Now AMD cards take more power I understand that, which is why I said look at power consumption charts for your specific GPU's. Bottom line is don't waste money on a huge power supply and have it being half utilized.

Figured I'd chime in with my own experiences here.

I ran an i7-2600K with dual GTX 780 Ti's in SLI (overclocked but not overvolted) and under gaming load it consistently overloaded my power supply within a minute or two, a 660W SeaSonic platinum (certainly no slouch). Jury-rigging another 450W unit to power the second GPU got rid of all the problems. With an 860W power supply everything runs fine, although with an i7-3930K (130W TDP processor) and everything overclocked I can still overload even that power supply with a high gaming load. So yeah, I'd say 850W-900W is the bare minimum I'd recommend if you're using dual 250W+ TDP cards.

What stress tests? If you used Furmark for the GPUs, NVIDIA cards throttle back and reduce power draw. Did you stress the CPU at the same time?

Prime 95 for 100% CPU load.

Furmark for GPU's 100% load

and sometimes the Valley benchmark for GPU's

i5-4690k @ 4.5ghz ---- Dual Gigabyte Gtx 780 OC Rev2.0's SLI ---- Noctua NH-D14 ---- Triple 1080p Surround

Figured I'd chime in with my own experience here.

I ran an i7-2600K with dual GTX 780 Ti's in SLI (overclocked but not overvolted) and under gaming load it consistently overloaded my power supply within a minute or two, a 660W SeaSonic platinum (certainly no slouch). Jury-rigging another 450W unit to power the second GPU got rid of all the problems. With an 860W power supply everything runs fine, although with an i7-3930K (130W TDP processor) and everything overclocked I can still overload even that power supply with a high gaming load. So yeah, I'd say 850W-900W is the bare minimum I'd recommend if you're using dual 250W+ TDP cards.

This ^. I got a 1000w psu because once I overclock everything and all my HDD and SSD should come to 900w on my Titan X sli. Just a guess though from watching that psu watt video from Linus.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

This ^. I got a 1000w psu because once I overclock everything and all my HDD and SSD should come to 900w on my Titan X sli. Just a guess though from watching that psu watt video from Linus.

More like 700 but yea, you want some head-room so as not to run it hot. (and hence, loud)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Figured I'd chime in with my own experience here.

Just curious, would a 980 Ti SLI (OC'd) be good with my build (860W)? When I built my PC I figured to be safe than sorry, but hopefully my PSU could handle 2 250W cards.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just curious, would a 980 Ti SLI (OC'd) be good with my build (860W)? When I built my PC I figured to be safe than sorry, but hopefully my PSU could handle 2 250W cards.

Should be about the same or less power draw than my cards, and with a 4790K you probably won't have a problem with your PSU. Same one I'm using lol.

For that system I would have recommended 750w, to have extra room avalible

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

im just going to leave this here so you think about your words

37_02_sapphire_radeon_r9_290x_tri_x_over

I'll chime in with my recent experience...

Just measured my system with a kill a watt like device but it was rated for 3kw+ so in assume it is reliable. But even with a 20% error margin, which is quite generous. I was only pulling round 720 watt... That's 720 with the error margin... Just under 600 without.... CPU and you over clocked balls to the wall also

Screen: AOC u3477Pqu 60Hz@3440x1440 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k GPU: 2x sli MSI GTX 980 OCV1  Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR  Case: Define R5  SSD Storage: 840 EVO 500GB HDD Storage: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  PSU: EVGA supernova G2 850W  RAM: 16GB hyperX 1866 (2x8GB) Cooling:Custom water loop with 2x280 radiators

It varies, the components have a lot of influence here.

My PC has slightly older hardware and with a single GTX770 it used to draw around 450W from the plug when the CPU and GPU were at 100% simultaneously.

When I added my second 770, that number rose to 670-690W. At that point I ditched my 650W PSU in favor of an 850W one (another BeQuiet, of course).

So MY computer needs more than 650W, yours may need less.

A 750W-850W for longevity including capacitor degradation over the years, general wear and tear etc

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

im just going to leave this here so you think about your words

37_02_sapphire_radeon_r9_290x_tri_x_over

Yes, you take one of the single most power hungry graphics cards made, and put them in Triple SLI you're going to be seeing high wattage rates.

Yes, you take one of the single most power hungry graphics cards made, and put them in Triple SLI you're going to be seeing high wattage rates.

*Crossfire.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Depends on your PC, obviously. Benchmarking a 3960X and two GTX 580s definitely pushed my powerdraw from the wall over 800W. This is what I measured. I have a 1050W power supply which I think gives sufficient overhead over this.

Naturally since upgrading to Maxwell maximum measured power usage has gone down to about 500W, which also works out quite nicely because that's about where a ~1000W PSU is most efficient.

1- Its crossfire, not sli

2- Its only 2 cards. Tri X stands for the model :

290_Trix_Car2_678x452.jpg