Constant GPU Crashes

Cree

I've built a gaming PC in February and constantly had crashes over various games, including but not limited to Battlefield 4. I struggle to find time troubleshoot the problems so any help is much appreciated.

My spec:

Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5 4690K
MSI Z97 GAMING 5 Intel Z97
8GB G.Skill RipjawsX 1600Mhz
Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD-RW
650W EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1
4GB Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3 OC
WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
Crucial CT240M500SSD1

24" Asus VG248QE

In whocrashed I get the following:

On Wed 10/06/2015 18:44:49 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061015-4140-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x150CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 10/06/2015 18:44:49 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x1AE919)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 353.06
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 353.06
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 353.06 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

You sir

If your overclocking, stop. That will fix your problem.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

You sir

If your overclocking, stop. That will fix your problem.

I'm not, CPU is stock. Tried underclocking core clock in MSI afterburner but doesn't work. Keep getting crashes varying from DPC Watchdog, to complete freezes and freezes where I can run task manager and quit.

I'm not, CPU is stock. Tried underclocking core clock in MSI afterburner but doesn't work. Keep getting crashes varying from DPC Watchdog, to complete freezes and freezes where I can run task manager and quit.

I feel like your swapping the cpu with gpu when you please... GPU is the gpu, and cpu is the cpu. Totally different pieces of hardware, lol.

*EDIT* Update the NVIDIA driver, being sure to check the clean install option. This is a driver issue.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

I feel like your swapping the cpu with gpu when you please... GPU is the gpu, and cpu is the cpu. Totally different pieces of hardware, lol.

Well, see if you could run off the integrated graphics, and see if you get the watchdog error. If so, your CPU is to blame. If it doesn't occur, the GPU is out the door.

I know what I meant lol.

Erm, any games that you could suggest to run on integrated? I've RMA'd the GPU and it came back as not being faulty.

I know what I meant lol.

Erm, any games that you could suggest to run on integrated? I've RMA'd the GPU and it came back as not being faulty.

I edited my post.

I edited my post.

Yeah I've updated the driver. It's been an ongoing problem since I built it at the start of February. Tried clean installs too.

Yeah I've updated the driver. It's been an ongoing problem since I built it at the start of February. Tried clean installs too.

I will have to look more into this. I will keep in touch.

You might want to reinstall windows just to start fresh, or you could try to use the DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) first to check if there might be some corrupt gpu drivers.

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

Hello I have some steps you could take to try narrow down your problem, you also could have 2 different problems if i am understanding your whocrashed reports:

A ntoskrnl error is most times due to memory so check your RAM timings are proper for your kit (1600 Mhz) and run a stability test like memtest.

If that passes move to a CPU stability test that will utilize most of your RAM, a program like OCCT will stress your CPU with 90% mem usage. 

If all the above is fine lets move on to the nvlddmkm.sys error:

Run any GPU stress test tool to see if that will cause a crash. If the crash occurs when the test ends and not while it is running (you can end the test early to check this) you should try updating your GPU's bios, sometimes called vbios, THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A DRIVER. There is a good article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2288384/upgrade-gpu-bios.html

Please do these in the order listed and let me know where your computer fails or if all these steps did not point you to a solution.

Hello I have some steps you could take to try narrow down your problem, you also could have 2 different problems if i am understanding your whocrashed reports:

A ntoskrnl error is most times due to memory so check your RAM timings are proper for your kit (1600 Mhz) and run a stability test like memtest.

If that passes move to a CPU stability test that will utilize most of your RAM, a program like OCCT will stress your CPU with 90% mem usage. 

If all the above is fine lets move on to the nvlddmkm.sys error:

Run any GPU stress test tool to see if that will cause a crash. If the crash occurs when the test ends and not while it is running (you can end the test early to check this) you should try updating your GPU's bios, sometimes called vbios, THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A DRIVER. There is a good article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2288384/upgrade-gpu-bios.html

Please do these in the order listed and let me know where your computer fails or if all these steps did not point you to a solution.

Sorry I have not got back to you. Running the CPU test first as I can't find my usb drive for the memtest. I know I have already updated the GPU Bios. 

I believe the timings on my RAM are correct in the bios.

Sorry I have not got back to you. Running the CPU test first as I can't find my usb drive for the memtest. I know I have already updated the GPU Bios. 

I believe the timings on my RAM are correct in the bios.

Without running a memtest first, if you run into instability with your CPU test it still can be a RAM problem which i would first guess based on the ntoskrnl error, Make sure you don't skip that memtest completely. If you find an error with memtest go thru the usual steps to try and isolate if it is just one DIMM or maybe the slot on the mobo. If you suspect a slot make sure to borrow a known working DIMM and use that to make sure. If after that you still suspect that same slot check it for debris or black (burnt) pins. Lastly if the slot looks to be in working order remove your CPU and look for bent pins or burnt contacts there as that can cause an inop DIMM slot.

Without running a memtest first, if you run into instability with your CPU test it still can be a RAM problem which i would first guess based on the ntoskrnl error, Make sure you don't skip that memtest completely. If you find an error with memtest go thru the usual steps to try and isolate if it is just one DIMM or maybe the slot on the mobo. If you suspect a slot make sure to borrow a known working DIMM and use that to make sure. If after that you still suspect that same slot check it for debris or black (burnt) pins. Lastly if the slot looks to be in working order remove your CPU and look for bent pins or burnt contacts there as that can cause an inop DIMM slot.

Afternoon, I ran a Memtest overnight over 6 hours and there was no errors found. I ran the CPU test on the program OCCT you mentioned for around 3 hours, and there didn't appear to be any errors. I also ran Heaven Benchmark for 2 hours and there was no errors derived from that either.

Please can you let me know what I can do next.

Thanks.