Good monitor for general gaming?

Zealos

Hello everyone, I have been researching monitors for a few months now, but haven't found anything I really liked yet.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for monitors that fit the following criteria:

- prefer 24" monitor

- 1080p PC gaming

- matte screen

- $300 or lower (could go up to $350 if it is a really good deal)

- minimal ghosting, if it is IPS

- easy on the eyes

I mostly play MMORPGs and RPGs, but I do play fast paced action adventure games and FPS at times, so I would like a monitor that doesn't have too much ghosting.

I have been looking at IPS panels, as I see most people recommend them because they have better color reproduction and viewing angles over TN panels, but I don't know if IPS is the best type for me as I really don't like the "IPS glow" effect. I have tried some IPS panels (Dell U2414H and Asus PB238Q), but the glow in the bottom corners was just too distracting when playing games with dark scenes or environments.

However, I do currently own a ViewSonic VX2450VM TN monitor that is 5 years old and I can't stand the color banding that I get in some games. I did notice the IPS panels had some color banding, but it was far less noticeable than the panel I have now.  

tl;dr

I am looking for a well rounded gaming monitor for RPGs and some FPS games. I was wondering if there are any TN panels that have decent color reproduction as I am not big fan of the "IPS glow" effect that is common among IPS panels.

A few monitors I have been looking at:

• Acer G247HL - $130 VA panel
  • BenQ RL2460HT - $200 TN panel
  • BenQ XL2411Z -$280 TN panel
  • BenQ XL2430T - $350 TN panel
  • LG 24GM77  - $300 TN panel

I heard the BenQ TN panels are 6-bit panels with FRC, like some IPS panels and have decent color reproduction, but they still aren't as good as IPS of course.

i have the rl2460ht and i would recommend it for a cheap gaming monitor or console monitor

u wot m7+1

2411Z

my reasoning why:

The whole IPS / TN thingy is kinda bs imo. I dislike IPS and prefer VA over IPS. I now have the TN 2411z and I see no difference between VA & TN. Color is perfect imo and it's matt :)

If I could choose between a 144hz IPS & 144hz TN, i'll still pick the TN as I like it more colorwise.

I got it since 1 week ago, I could've went for a higher budget one, but I still choose the 2411z because of the good reviews (and a lot of my CS:GO friends recommended it)

I came from a 60hz VA panel and I have them next to eachother right now, and I see 0% difference colorwise. You'll have to go through a lot of setting tweaking though, default looks horrible. Once I set everything (took me ~1hour), it's perfect. 

I didn't believe people can see the difference between 60frames & 144frames... well.. it's huge honestly. Everything is really smooth.

2411Z like I mentioned, is MORE than worth your money!

If you need help to tweak your settings, just send me a PM and i'll help you :)

it's the best TN panel you can get trust me.

Also I the 2411Z doesn't have Gsync, but I didn't notice any problems in games where I got low fps (30-60), I haven't even experienced screen tearing once.

Thanks for the responses and helpful information. The BenQ XL2411Z was one of my top choices, but I heard great things about the LG 24GM77 and it looks like it has the best color reproduction for a TN panel at my price range, so I might look at getting that instead.

Any owners of the LG 24GM77 here?