Making own speakers?

Go to solution Solved by Lutkeveld,

@RollinLower

That you better be not sure about your statement, seems like you were ;p

Just preventing that people buy or don't buy a specific amp based on your post. 

You were reasoning the wrong way around. Large speakers (high power handling) need less power to go loud.

Big ass 18" subs can be loud with only a couple of watts.

Hello, I was wondering if it's possible to make your own speakers for a pc with speakers like these one

post-224778-0-88924800-1433874520.jpg

What kind of things would I need if I wanted to build my own pc audio with things like these?

Is it possible to make it work for a pc?

and what would be the budget that I have to prepare if I wanted to do this?

Hello, I was wondering if it's possible to make your own speakers for a pc with speakers like these one

attachicon.gifDEVINE_AA15_943500.jpg

What kind of things would I need if I wanted to build my own pc audio with things like these?

I've seen where people were making speakers with a few wires and paper plates and some aluminum foil. So its probably possible.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Maybe you could make a speaker casing out of wood, I don't think you would be able to make the drivers as shown by yourself.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

you would need a receiver and just plug your pc into the receiver. it wouldnt be cost effective by any means, but would work if you want custom speakers. 

yes you can build your own speakers, but whether or not it would sound good is a different story, and it is rare that it is cheaper, but if you have some money to spend, it can get better sound for the money.

if you wish to have a tweeter and a woofer, you will need a crossover, which has to be designed properly by an audio engineer, which I am not. I am currently in the process of building the Tritrix, which is available by parts and as a pre-cut kit for glueing and assembly. it does cost a bit more though, but all of the parts can be replaced if it were to be damaged, and it is higher quality than most anything you can buy in store if you take the time to build it the way you want it.

the pre cut cabinet and components is $279, which is pricy but well worth it, but if you aren't significantly handy with tools, you are better off buying an amplifier and speakers

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-tritrix-mtm-tl-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702

if you just want to buy some good speakers and an amplifier, here are two good choices for speakers (similar, with different tweeters, the more expensive one is in fact better, but it's a matter of how much you want to spend)

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

or 

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-bookshelf-speaker-pair-with-amt-tweeter--300-651

and this is the amp I use and recommend http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800 I think I fixed the link

if your budget is more restricted, this amp with the cheaper speaker would make a good combo for the cost http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-t-ac-dc-battery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

the kind of amp you need heavily depends on the kind and amount of speakers you're gonna use.

for example if you get two speakers of 100Watt RMS, you'll need atleast a 200Watt amp to have them work properly.

also, watch out for how much ohm your speakers are listed in their specs, as your amp needs to support that aswell!

this isn't at all the case. the RMS power of a speaker is the maximum continuous input power before the speakers will overheat and die. 30 watts per channel is usually plenty edit: I should clarify. 30 watts per channel is enough for near field listening. 75 watts will comfortably fill a large room, but this depends on how sensitive the speakers are

running speakers off of a weaker amplifier just means that you won't produce the same volume without distortion, but halving the power only reduces the volume by 3 decibels

the usual estimate is that it takes 10 decibels (10 times as much power) to sound twice as loud, but I think it's more complicated than that.

the speakers I want would take arround 200-350 amp and have 8 ohm. You know any store/ online store where I could buy such amps?

you don't need an amp that can drive the full power the speaker can take, as you'll probably never turn it up to that level anyway.

I recommend this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

or this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812

the second is more powerful. I'm not affiliated with Dayton audio, but I have plenty of their gear and I trust them. I have the older version of the first amp and it sounds fantastic, the second I have heard good things about and is more powerful if you really need the extra volume

Cool that you're wanting to do this, but its better to post this on a forum like DIYaudio or PartsExpress TechTalk

There are more knowledgable people there than there are here.

The best thing for you is to take a reputable speaker like the Overnight Sensation because, with all respect, the speaker you'll 'design' yourself will sound like shit.

for example if you get two speakers of 100Watt RMS, you'll need atleast a 200Watt amp to have them work properly.

Say what? Please put a note the next time that you're not sure (you better be).

-snip-

yeah, looked it up now and i was thinking the wrong thing. post has been edited accordingly.

(you better be).

not too sure what this is supposed to mean tough, you arn't a mod, stop acting like one? 

@RollinLower

That you better be not sure about your statement, seems like you were ;p

Just preventing that people buy or don't buy a specific amp based on your post. 

You were reasoning the wrong way around. Large speakers (high power handling) need less power to go loud.

Big ass 18" subs can be loud with only a couple of watts.

Get shielded speakers, you don't want to use regular speakers near a computer.

The magnetic field could screw up data in your hard drive.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Get shielded speakers, you don't want to use regular speakers near a computer.

The magnetic field could screw up data in your hard drive.

Unless you still use a CRT it isn't a problem. A lot of the commercial speakers aren't shielded too.

Unless you still use a CRT it isn't a problem. A lot of the commercial speakers aren't shielded too.

CRT's are not the only thing that can be affected by magnetic fields.

Data on a hard drive is stored in form of tiny magnetic fields you know.

CRT's are not the only thing that can be affected by magnetic fields.

Data on a hard drive is stored in form of tiny magnetic fields you know.

Yeah I know but speakers are not powerful enough to influence harddisks. Take for example the millions of people that have a subwoofer right next to their computer case and still have their data.

Yeah I know but speakers are not powerful enough to influence harddisks. Take for example the millions of people that have a subwoofer right next to their computer case and still have their data.

Yeah I know, but I wouldn't take any chances, also those sub-woofers may be the shielded ones if they are part of an 5.1/7.1 sound system.

Hell, I have some tiny 1 inch speakers that are shielded xD.

I've never been concerned about it. the only reason I have shielded woofers is because the tweeter is close to and right between the two woofers in each cabinet, so that should prevent any interference, and that's the way the designer of the speakers I am building designed it anyways.

Interference between the two drivers is of no concern at all. Don't know what the most common reason is for manufacturers to shield their woofers, I'd have to read up on that. I guess monitor issues.