Advice for High End Hardware

MajorVegas

Recently found out that I will be receiving a very large scholarship. More than triple what it will cost me to actually to university this year. I'm going to buy a new graphics card, trying to decide what I should get. I need to eventually get a graphics card for my micro build as well, and eventually build a stream box to my media center

Basically I need validation that I'm not a complete idiot, or if there is another option I haven't quite seen.

My current rig is this:

i7 4790k
980 Strix

My current micro build is this:
i5 4670
(Graphics card needed)

A future budget build will be eventually created.
No graphics card needed

Here is what I thought of so far

OPTION 1

Buy a very high end graphics card for my current build
Most likely a Strix 980ti (I like the quiet and cool)(SLI), a Titan X for that massive VRAM(SLI), or AMD's Future Fury card (Not familiar with what is going on with them right now)(Crossfire? I need more info on the HBM)

Put my current 980 Strix in my tiny build (New case needed)

Re use old case for my micro build for my stream box.

OPTION 2

Buy another 980 Strix

Get a small form factor graphics card (I know they make small 970s)

Build a budget stream box

OPTION 3

Sell 980 Strix
Buy 980ti (SLI), a Titan X(SLI), or AMD's Future Fury card (Crossfire?)

Get a small form factor graphics card

Please leave suggestions

3. 980ti sli

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Any high-end must consider the 980TI, 980's are by the wayside imo now in that case.

Sell the 980 and for a small form factor card, there's plenty of 750TI's out there that would fit in a very small factor case. Though I don't know what size you're looking at for your "micro" build. Mine is inside the In-Win H Frame mini as a piece of furniture in the living room to replace a console which I wasn't playing and seems well better spec

Recently found out that I will be receiving a very large scholarship. More than triple what it will cost me to actually to university this year. I'm going to buy a new graphics card, trying to decide what I should get. I need to eventually get a graphics card for my micro build as well, and eventually build a stream box to my media center

Basically I need validation that I'm not a complete idiot, or if there is another option I haven't quite seen.

My current rig is this:

i7 4790k
980 Strix

i5 4670
(Graphics card needed)

No graphics card needed

OPTION 1

Most likely a Strix 980ti (I like the quiet and cool)(SLI), a Titan X for that massive VRAM(SLI), or AMD's Future Fury card (Not familiar with what is going on with them right now)(Crossfire? I need more info on the HBM)

OPTION 2

Buy another 980 Strix

OPTION 3

Sell 980 Strix

Please leave suggestions

I'd have to say 3, also the new radeon cards since they're using HBM will be significantly smaller. They might fit better in a small form factor case.

My current rig is this:

i7 4790k
980 Strix

i5 4670
(Graphics card needed)

No graphics card needed

OPTION 1

OPTION 2

Buy another 980 Strix

OPTION 3

Sell 980 Strix

Please leave suggestions

yea AMD's new card is coming The 16th I would wait and see which is better 980ti or AMD flagship. Also I would recommend R9 295x2 I have one and a 4k monitor, run 60+ fps on most games. 

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor

3. 980ti sli

Why 980 sli over 2 titans? Won't the 2x12gb vram be very useful when directx12 comes out?

Any high-end must consider the 980TI, 980's are by the wayside imo now in that case.

Sell the 980 and for a small form factor card, there's plenty of 750TI's out there that would fit in a very small factor case. Though I don't know what size you're looking at for your "micro" build. Mine is inside the In-Win H Frame mini as a piece of furniture in the living room to replace a console which I wasn't playing and seems well better spec

I say tiny, I really mean it just has to fit in the case, I hear that I can actually put a ACX 2 cooler card in it. The strix is actually alot larger than I thought it was. 

I could also use a bit more horsepower than a 750 ti, but I haven't ruled it out, 

Why 980 sli over 2 titans? Won't the 2x12gb vram be very useful when directx12 comes out?

I say tiny, I really mean it just has to fit in the case, I hear that I can actually put a ACX 2 cooler card in it. The strix is actually alot larger than I thought it was. 

I could also use a bit more horsepower than a 750 ti, but I haven't ruled it out, 

SLI 750TI? - There are plenty of MicroATX case that can take an ATX PSU and have enough slots for low-profile PCI cards

SLI 750TI? - There are plenty of MicroATX case that can take an ATX PSU and have enough slots for low-profile PCI cards

No room to sli a 750ti in that case. Needs to be a single card, equal or smaller to a triple slot card.

no, 12GB is overkill unless you use 3x 4K screens, wich sli titan X probably wont run very well anyways. 6GB is good enough, and with DX12 id would add up to 24GB of vram, usefull for 8K, but a titan X will not run 8K because it needs a display port 1.3 and it would b outdated by then.

alsothe performance diference from 980ti to titan x isnt worth it. less then 5%, probably around 1-3% diference for what? 250-350$? not worthwhile.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

No room to sli a 750ti in that case. Needs to be a single card, equal or smaller to a triple slot card.

There's 4 slots in the rear of that Micro ATX, but not having had one, perhaps it wouldn't work. These are what I was on about:

http://www.ebuyer.com/666536-gigabyte-gtx-750-2gb-gddr5-dual-link-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-gv-n750oc-2gl?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&mkwid=soHFGwJC4_dc&pcrid=51482416259&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CMbQufDJgcYCFQUGwwodbU8Aog

There are a lot of variables to consider with dx12 - like when it comes out, the games developers that would support dx12 would need to start making games for it (insert time frame here), and the games that would support that stacking feature of dx12, there will probably be a better single card solution at that time.

I think that there is still alot of unknowns to be dropping that kinda money for 2 Titan x's at the moment. But that's just me :)

Spoiler

FYI if anyone is looking to buy a 980 strix, you know how to find me, will post on classifieds when I hit post limit.