Buying SSD help

tp95112

Well the Samsung drives are very solid.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

How much slower is the 840  vs the pro? (Noticeable difference)

How much slower is the 840  vs the pro? (Noticeable difference)

The pro is faster but for the most part you wont notice it, unless you like transferring files back and forth all day. 

The pro is faster but for the most part you wont notice it, unless you like transferring files back and forth all day. 

Whats the life span of this vs the pro? Remember reading that the life span is shorter due to the memory it uses

Whats the life span of this vs the pro? Remember reading that the life span is shorter due to the memory it uses

Lifespan isnt something you really have to worry about.  They are both rated for 1.5 million hours, so i dont think you have to worry much. 

+1 for the 840 but my vote is for the Kingston HyperX 3k :) its exceptional. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Not really an issue unless you're planning to use this as some sort of a scratch drive for photoshop/video editing alongside using it as your boot drive (ie: transferring 20 or 30 gigabytes of stuff to the drive and off of it EVERY day). Samsung SSD's are solid, I'd be surprised if it still wasnt working 10 years from now or something given normal use.

Build 1: CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.7 GHz, GPU: GTX 660 Ti, Mobo: Asrock Z68 Pro3-M, RAM: 8GB Samsung "wonder ram" @ 2133 Storage: SanDisk Extreme 240GB

Build 2: CPU: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.6 GHz GPU: GTX 780, Mobo: Asus z87-Pro RAM: Same as build 1. Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

NAS: FreeNAS running on core 2 Quad Q8400, 8GB RAM, 6 x Seagate 2TB. Dont bother with SanDisk SSD's, just don't.

Just had a look at prices at my local hardware store i can get a Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb for $104.99 Canadian and the Samsung 840 Series 120Gb for 99.99. Which one should i go for now?

The 840 is a good option, haven't really looked at the hyperX 3K though. i know someone with a 840 pro and he loves it, and the 840 is just slightly slower but not a noticeable amount unless transferring a lot of files

I'd go with the 840 if at all possible, has been tried and tested by so many of us here on the forum and is well know for being a great speedy drive

either way though they are both entering the area of top tier SSD's so unless you are bothered by waiting and extra .5 sec to boot into windows you will be fine either way :)

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I'd go with the 840 if at all possible, has been tried and tested by so many of us here on the forum and is well know for being a great speedy drive

either way though they are both entering the area of top tier SSD's so unless you are bothered by waiting and extra .5 sec to boot into windows you will be fine either way :)

Does the 840 non pro have about the same read speeds as the Hyperx?

The Hyperx has slightly faster read speeds

but either way it wont make much difference so it more or less will come down to personal preference

Well the prices are really close to each other in fact the hyperx is on sale for $45 OFF while the 840 is only 10

Basically to the point where you wouldn't notice the difference..

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Well the prices are really close to each other in fact the hyperx is on sale for $45 OFF while the 840 is only 10

840 is still faster though..

but regardless go whatever way you feel would be the best... just saying that I have had experience with the 840's and love them

A lot of forum users use the 840 series, and as above rate highly of it. Personally, you won't do wrong with either, it's upto you, if you can decide go for which one looks best. As said, you won't go wrong with either.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

840 is still faster though..

but regardless go whatever way you feel would be the best... just saying that I have had experience with the 840's and love them

Its the Non pro version if that makes a diffrence

Its the Non pro version if that makes a diffrence

The regular 840 is still slightly faster, the main reason for the pro is the increased write speed and the flash since it uses MLC flash which will typically last substantially longer then TLC which the regular 840 uses, that is definetly not to say that the either of them is going to die soon though we are talking 10 years +

The regular 840 is still slightly faster, the main reason for the pro is the increased write speed and the flash since it uses MLC flash which will typically last substantially longer then TLC which the regular 840 uses, that is definetly not to say that the either of them is going to die soon though we are talking 10 years +

The only thing that is worrying me is how linus kept saying it uses TLC flash whcih doesnt last as long.

The only thing that is worrying me is how linus kept saying it uses TLC flash whcih doesnt last as long.

Dw you will be completely fine with either!

I think Intel did a test where they wrote 10Gb a day to an SSD for I think 10 years and it still retained it's original speed.

Dw you will be completely fine with either!

I think Intel did a test where they wrote 10Gb a day to an SSD for I think 10 years and it still retained it's original speed.

Alright  im going to get the 840 then il leave a message about how it runs in a few days