My new build

Scotty

Does this sound alright? Just about to purchase! (budget is 1700, this after tax costs $1665 in Canada)

i5 4670k

asus sabertooth z87

hyper 212 evo

vengeance pro 1866 black

evga gtx 760 superclocked acx cooler

nzxt switch 810 (plan on watercooling around christmas)

evga supernova 650w gold modular psu

windows 8 64 bit

samsung 840 series 250GB

Samsung dvd writer (just to install OS then removing)

Overall how does it sound, anything you would change based on the fact I'm watercooling in about 6 months? assuming my girlfriend doesnt take all my money ;)

Intel i5 4670k @4.2 GHz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Sabertooth Z87, Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 MHz 16GB, Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8GB, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, NZXT Switch 810, Asus MX34VQ, Asus MX239H.

Looks like a decent system! The only thing I would change is the version of windows! I cant stand windows 8! :-)

how much is your budget?

for water cooling are you doing custom loop or not?

I'm asking this because:

if we know your budget, we might give u a better input/feedback

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Does this sound alright? Just about to purchase!

i5 4670k

asus sabertooth z87

hyper 212 evo

vengeance pro 1866 black

windows 8 64 bit

samsung 840 series 250GB

Overall how does it sound, anything you would change based on the fact I'm watercooling in about 6 months? assuming my girlfriend doesnt take all my money ;)

That's a pretty good build but you should have posted this in the New builds and Planning section of the forum but don't worry I'm sure the mods will move this.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Looks like a decent system! The only thing I would change is the version of windows! I cant stand windows 8! :-)

Yeah, but it is a faster and takes up less RAM space. It also will have future Direct X support. It's just annoying.

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Yeah, but it is a faster and takes up less RAM space. It also will have future Direct X support. It's just annoying.

Agreed!

@Scotty get 1600 RAM; not much of a difference for gaming. Also, try to get a better graphics card, maybe a 7970 or 770?

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Is it for gaming? Not sure how good the compatibility of Windows 8 is for gaming yet.

Can you get a non-overclocked 770 for the same price? I remember Linus did a video and suggested that you're better off saving your money or getting a faster card because usually the non-overclocked cards will overclock to that same speed anyway.  

Do you really want to buy an optical drive just to install the OS? Why not use a flash drive or something else?

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Looks like it'll be a solid build!

I might want to add a storage drive if you don't already have one, 250gb is not that much space for storing things.

Also, I dont think this belongs in this section.

thanks for the replies everyone! as for the questions about windows, I'm already using windows 8 on my laptop and i really do like it, personal preference :) and for 1866 ram vs 1600, the price difference is only about 2 dollar. As for the video card, I know it isn't the best but I'm only playing at 1080p. Also 250gb is only temporary, hoping to add a western digital red raid 1 asap!

Intel i5 4670k @4.2 GHz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Sabertooth Z87, Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 MHz 16GB, Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8GB, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, NZXT Switch 810, Asus MX34VQ, Asus MX239H.

how much is your budget?

for water cooling are you doing custom loop or not?

I'm asking this because:

if we know your budget, we might give u a better input/feedback

custom loop, and budget is about 1700 canadian!

thanks for the help everyone, just clicked purchase, ended up switching the 760 for an msi 7950 that was on sale for only $10 more!

What's this build going to be used for?

Why sabertooth? You're paying ~$80 extra for a piece of plastic.

Stick with the stock cooler if you're going to water cool later.

Ram above speeds of 1600 will give you little to no performance benefit. Also, you can get cheaper ram.

If you're going to waterclock (and with your budget), you might as well get a 770 or 780. It's inefficient to spend so little on a card when you're paying so much for a custom loop.

Wouldn't go with evga for a psu. Look at antec, be quiet, corsair, nzxt, ocz, seasonic, silverstone, or xfx instead.

You could just get an external usb dvd drive that you can reuse for different systems or install via usb stick instead. You pay for the activation code, not the disc.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't get this. Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with a new menu. Only games in Windows 8 I've had trouble running is games from XP era.

Is it for gaming? Not sure how good the compatibility of Windows 8 is for gaming yet.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I don't get this. Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with a new menu. Only games in Windows 8 I've had trouble running is games from XP era.

Well like I said, I'm not actually sure I just remember reading about compatibility issues.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Can you get a non-overclocked 770 for the same price? I remember Linus did a video and suggested that you're better off saving your money or getting a faster card because usually the non-overclocked cards will overclock to that same speed anyway.  

Do you really want to buy an optical drive just to install the OS? Why not use a flash drive or something else?

A vast you scurvy dogs, this is the lowdown  on compatibility is that there is very little or no compatibility unless under Microsoft no support for windows live ( 7 on back ) I have even seen and heard about new title having problem with win 8 if you have win 7 keep with it Microsoft can walk the plank for this Argh ( poor sharks TUMS )

thanks for the help everyone, just clicked purchase, ended up switching the 760 for an msi 7950 that was on sale for only $10 more!

that's definitely a good jump from 760 (in my opinion, don't hunt me when it comes to nvidia/amd)

but yea, if u had about a week to wait, i'm sure the community would be able to give u a bit more insight.

glad you are happy with the setup tho :)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

• 3 weeks later...

Does this sound alright? Just about to purchase! (budget is 1700, this after tax costs $1665 in Canada)

i5 4670k

asus sabertooth z87

hyper 212 evo

vengeance pro 1866 black

windows 8 64 bit

samsung 840 series 250GB

lol found it, looks good....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |