4790k & H100i Temp Issues?!?!?!?

Hi Guys!

So I just got my 4790k & Asrock z97 Extreme6 all set up and running good apart from one thing......... The temps with my h100i.... 35-40c idle and 90c and sometimes over, under small FFT prime95 load! I know prime95 is very intense and can generate alot of heat but my old AMD FX-4170 which has like a 125w higher TDP then my 4790k and I had like 1.425v to get a stable 4.5ghx on it never got above 60c (that is with the same h100i). I have added washers to my backplate and have a very tight and secure mount and have removed and replaced the block until I get a good mount and good even spread of TP which I have now! Also during a blend test it hit 100c according to HWmonitor but my H100i does not feel all that hot...... Unlike with my FX-4170!

I am using HWmonitor to test temps and also CoreTemp and they both show the same temps! This seems very VERY high for a 4790k on watercooling! The h100i its self is fine and has been working for a good 4 months now, no air bubbles I can hear and moving good air through rad as an exhaust at the top of my H440! 

Does anyone know what could be causing this? The temps seem to rise very quick once I run the test like almost within a second it goes from 34c too like 90c! Could this been a temp sensor issue with my CPU or is there anything I can do to make these alot lower?!?!?! I dont want it above 80c with a 1.3v 4.7ghz overclock soon and I hoped it would be possible!

I AM RUNNING AT STOCK SETTINGS NOTHING ALTERED!!!!!

Cheers for advice guys!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Do you have adaptive voltage on? Or manual?

What clock speed and voltage are you running? What is your VCCIN voltage?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Hi Guys!

So I just got my 4790k & Asrock z97 Extreme6 all set up and running good apart from one thing......... The temps with my h100i.... 35-40c idle and 90c and sometimes over, under small FFT prime95 load! I know prime95 is very intense and can generate alot of heat but my old AMD FX-4170 which has like a 125w higher TDP then my 4790k and I had like 1.425v to get a stable 4.5ghx on it never got above 60c (that is with the same h100i). I have added washers to my backplate and have a very tight and secure mount and have removed and replaced the block until I get a good mount and good even spread of TP which I have now! Also during a blend test it hit 100c according to HWmonitor but my H100i does not feel all that hot...... Unlike with my FX-4170!

I am using HWmonitor to test temps and also CoreTemp and they both show the same temps! This seems very VERY high for a 4790k on watercooling! The h100i its self is fine and has been working for a good 4 months now, no air bubbles I can hear and moving good air through rad as an exhaust at the top of my H440! 
Does anyone know what could be causing this? The temps seem to rise very quick once I run the test like almost within a second it goes from 34c too like 90c! Could this been a temp sensor issue with my CPU or is there anything I can do to make these alot lower?!?!?! I dont want it above 80c with a 1.3v 4.7ghz overclock soon and I hoped it would be possible!

I AM RUNNING AT STOCK SETTINGS NOTHING ALTERED!!!!!

Cheers for advice guys!

It's normal for Intel CPUs to get hot really quick and the H100 was never that great performing.

Also with that overclock those temps should be pretty normal.

The only thing you can do is removing the IHS, which is of course not recommended.

Do you have adaptive voltage on? Or manual?

What clock speed and voltage are you running? What is your VCCIN voltage?

I have not touched the voltage at all so I am gunna assume it on auto! It running the stock clock speeds for the 4790k (4.0ghz - 4.4ghz) and voltage is 1.27v (under small FFT load that HWmonitor shows)

You shouldn't use Prime95 with Haswell's. Get Aida or something else for stress testing.

I have heard that it can cause alot of voltage spikes etc....... I will try another!

It's normal for Intel CPUs to get hot really quick and the H100 was never that great performing.

Also with that overclock those temps should be pretty normal.

The only thing you can do is removing the IHS, which is of course not recommended.

The 4790k is supposed to be the coolest running of all the Haswell i series and the h100i has be well known to be very good cooler and should not let a 4790k at stock settings near 70-80c I wouldn't have thought! Also I am not running an overclock I specifically said that I am running stock 4790k settings! 

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Make sure the backplate for the coolers notches are correct.i did the same thing with mine and it was fixed after flipping it 

Make sure the backplate for the coolers notches are correct.i did the same thing with mine and it was fixed after flipping it 

I have checked that many times and have added more washers to make the mount even tighter aswell! The temps are way to high for my liking!

The 4790k is supposed to be the coolest running of all the Haswell i series and the h100i has be well known to be very good cooler and should not let a 4790k at stock settings near 70-80c I wouldn't have thought! Also I am not running an overclock I specifically said that I am running stock 4790k settings! 

Following sentence was a bit misleading: "I dont want it above 80c with a 1.3v 4.7ghz overclock soon"

The 4790k can definitly not be the coolest running of all Haswell chips, because the i3 is also based on Haswell and only a dual core.

The 4790k, apart from th 4770/k and 4670/k is probably one of the hottest. Also I said that it gets hot very quickly, not that it is an overall hot chip, cause you were wondering why it did get instantly on 90°C. That is pretty normal for Intel chips.

The H100i has a fairly thin radiator.

I have the same setup; 4790K with an H100i.  When I first put the computer together I had the exact same problem.  The idle was reasonably high and when stress testing it would spike straight to the 90's and I would have to stop the test.  I assumed it was because I was OC'ing wrong (first computer build/first OC try).  After wracking my brain forever and trying a bajillion settings I pulled the pump assembly off the CPU. 

What I found was that the thermal compound didn't ever really squish; and I loosed/retightened it quite a few times trying to fix the cooling issues.  95% of the thermal compound pulled back off the CPU and was on the cooling block like it had never been touched.  My remedy was to put it back on and "swirl" the pump on the CPU to kind smoosh it around.  A bit unconventional and not what I think most normal people would recommend, but it worked.  I now have it overclocked to 4.7ghz using adaptive.  It idles around 27-30 and during stress tests using IETU it hits the high 70's low 80's.

I still feel like the thermal compound in there isn't doing it's job very well.  I need to look into the different brands and order some here soon.